• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams Live-Action Death Note Film's Full Trailer (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
This looks like a pretty generic action movie, which is somewhat disappointing but I'm not going to judge it until I watch it. It may turn out good. I do like DaFoe's Ryuk.

I highly doubt anyone's going to care or talk about it after the initial release hype dies down anyway, tbh. Now that GitS lived and died I've seen not even a mention in passing of the live action film.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Let's not kid ourselves, we are all going to watch this, if nothing else just to see what there is to compare with the Anime Smile

I did think the trailer was somewhat meh, but I'm not really sure what I was expecting. Death Note is a very particular type of property. It's an intellectual story with elements of suspense. It's not really horror, and not really action. It's hard to do a purely intellectual trailer without spoiling Light's character arc, or L's for that matter. So I think it's possible that the bar is just unreachable for any trailer of a death note movie. But anyway, I'm definitely going to watch this. I'll reserve judgment until after I see it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah I'm going to watch it. This looks entertaining as heck to me!

BUT... it also doesn't seem very "Death Note-ish" to me. I'm down with adaptive changes to a story, but Light does seem to be almost nothing like his-self in the manga/anime. Sharing his secret with a girl? Having a genuine romance? Eh... I'll see how it works out, but that's not particularly encouraging. Ultra-fans are over-reacting as usual, and there seems to be a ridiculous number of them for Death Note, but some of the complaints are kind of valid.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Cinematography looks nice. I'm not a fan of Death Note, so I'm not gonna complain about every little change, if Wingard decided to make dumb action thriller then so be it, in the end of a day Death Note wasn't a pinnacle of good writing or interesting plot twists.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
L doesn't seem to talk as slow in this, he also doesn't seem as eccentric apart from the chair thing.
SleepyDave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
After this trailer, I feel like they depicted L the "wrong" way? I think the eccentricity kinda suits him, but I don't like that he presents himself in public? That's the dumbest thing the best 3 detectives of the world could do.
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Are they trying to make Light more likeable or something? Seems like a bad move. The whole thing that made Light an interesting character was his unwavering commitment to his bizarre ideology.

The first chapter of the manga is titled "Boredom" because when when Ryuk tells Light that the only reason he dropped the Death Note is because he was bored, Light reveals that the main reason he decided to use the Death Note so excessively in 5 days is simply because he was bored too. In other words, just as shinigami treat human life as utterly valueless (except as a way of prolonging their own lives), in a way Light also views people's lives this way. Certain people's lives, at least.

Anyway, he's certainly not your "everyday kid" and is probably most relatable to people who are at least a little psychopathic themselves, like L.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Still not a fan of Nat Wolff in this but I will check this out purely because of William Defoe. It seems like his version of Ryuk will be really good.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Nat Wolff, such a miscast.

Well, not so much, since they apparently decided to change Light from a privileged elite type (i.e., not poor, popular, respected, good looking, super smart) into a grungy outsider every-teen who gets bullied, he seems apt for the version they created. But that changes the whole tone of the story.

From the trailer it also looks like they've cast Misa as the helpful instigator of his crusade, rather than a loyal follower. In other words, it looks like none of this is going to be Light's fault, but the fault of bullies, his girlfriend and Ryuk. I'd like to be wrong about that.

It could work. Dafoe will chew the scenery with gusto and that will help. The previews don't have me champing at the bit to see it though.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I think we've all agreed Dafoe will be the best part of this.
catbot158

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
it also doesn't seem very "Death Note-ish" to me. I'm down with adaptive changes to a story, but Light does seem to be almost nothing like his-self in the manga/anime. Sharing his secret with a girl? Having a genuine romance? Eh... I'll see how it works out, but that's not particularly encouraging. Ultra-fans are over-reacting as usual, and there seems to be a ridiculous number of them for Death Note, but some of the complaints are kind of valid.

I agree, I looked at the Death Note tag on Tumblr and people are going ballistic. Some things I can agree with: I agree that changing Light's character into a bullied, everyday guy doesn't suit the character and his motivations, and the L in the trailer isn't all that interesting, but other than that, people are just mad to be mad. This forum has been the chillest about the trailer so far.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Minus Dafoe not since Dragon Ball Evolution I've seen such bad casting. It blows my mind. Even if you claim this is an adaptation the main lead has no charisma and couldn't be any further from Light. L looks bad too but I was willing to accept a wildy different L since he's pretty out there and kinda unrealistic as a human being.

I repeat, this has nothing to do with whitewashing or good looks: from this trailer you can see the story has a completely different tone (a much more generic one), and I'm positive I won't be watching it even out of morbid curiosity. After Blame and now this, I really hope Castlevania turns out good cause otherwise everytime I see netflix financing something related to anime or a japanese property I will know that staying away is the default choice.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:26 am Reply with quote
Choosing neon colors actual worked out and the budget of 40 mil. is certainly on screen. Who knows if putting US Kira in action scenes can work and the possible romance continues to raise an eyebrow but the trailer in itself looks good. The US setting is well used too. L lastly stood out more to me than Ryuk. He seems source accurate, despite being a "gangsta hacker". Interesting.

We had more than enough life action adaptation from Japan and this reinterpretation has at least the chance to surpass all of them, especially the TV drama (boycott that shit, if anything). I also only truly turned against GitS after seeing the cringe worthy (and accurate) trailer. Give me 2 hours of what i just saw, with a coherent ending, and things should work out fine.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:32 am Reply with quote
Did anyone here watch the Japanese Drama last year by any chance?

Because Light's charscter is also an "ordinary" guy who got bullied before he found the Death Note. He wasn't as smart as his manga counterpart. He actually seemed more realistic, albiet not easy to swallow at first.

spoiler[ He was also discovered by L by episode 2. L caught him super fast and even confronted him by phone. Light was sh*itting himself. ]
But was still popular and spawned a new movie.

I think for an American adaptation it should be fine. To expect it to be shot by shot of the manga is silly and rather overdone.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:28 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I think we've all agreed Dafoe will be the best part of this.

Hear, hear.

Ryuk has and in my mind always will be one of the most entertaining things about the Death Note series. His boredom changed the world in many ways. I loved his Japanese VA and Dafoe is an excellent choice for him here too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3