• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Stream Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga Anime's English Dub Exclusively on Hulu

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else wondering why they only announced Johnny, Christine, and Kira? Or is that just a test for the con?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
SNaGem wrote:
Hulu?! That is literally the worst option right now. What the hell, Aniplex?

CR is all about the subs, AS is about exclusive simulcast streaming under a double paywall and Funimation sucks.

I mean the Funimation player sucks. The app I have for it doesn't have the "go back/advance" features their website player has but the last time I tries using the site, the screen turned green every ten seconds. Also their alphabetic search engine is terrible... because they don't have it as an option anymore.

FunimationNow sucks. This was supposed to be an improvement. How do I watch Funimation content? Very reluctantly these days.

So what's left... TubiTv? Daisuki?
Anime Network?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
AN isn't great either. Their Roku app looks like Funi's last but worse. There's no way to add to your queue from the app, I had to back out and go back in to watch the next episode, and recently it has been unable to figure out when stuff is in my queue for the simulcasts.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
It seems that no matter where anything streams these days, some group of people will be upset. Streaming has become like cable. Unless you are willing to pay for EVERYTHING, there are programs that you are either going to miss, or you will have to resort to "alternative means" to watch it.
emory

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
According to Jason DeMarco, there was no chance Sailor Moon was coming back to Toonami regardless of whether or not Hulu got the rights.

Actually this is not true, as evidenced in the June 10th, 2016 edition of their video podcast where they said they tried to get the rights to Sailor Moon Crystal but were outbid.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
puts on the ole eye-patch and pirate hat for "alternative" viewing option.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
All I'm saying is some are too focused on how Amazon splits their subscription that they don't really look at the costs and benefits, which the latter may well not be worth the former for them.

Nevertheless Amazon Strike is the most dangerous (for us the consumers) since if they become successful then you can bet all other streamer services will start to offer a tier-ed subscription services and we will have cable TV 2.0
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:

Blue Exorcist season 1 dub got exclusively streamed by Neon Alley before premiering on Toonami.

Neon Alley was just the name of Viz's self-owned streaming service, kinda like how Tokyo Ghoul was available on Funimation's site before going onto Toonami. It's not a third party service like Hulu is.

brynhild wrote:
According to Jason DeMarco, there was no chance Sailor Moon was coming back to Toonami regardless of whether or not Hulu got the rights.

Hmm. I'm not so sure, mind sharing your source for that? Cause according to DeMarco himself, from these articles, Toonami was looking into it but Hulu bought the exclusive rights before they could air it.

http://sailormoonnews.com/2013/03/11/toonami-is-looking-into-airing-the-new-sailor-moon-anime/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Toonami/comments/4nkjqp/the_toonami_preflight_discussion_thread_for_june/
SydneyAran

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
One of the mysteries of the universe is why Aniplex is still functioning as a company given their business tactics and pricing structure. Course I was fooled a few times and won't be again. The way I look at it if you want to alienate the fanbase and customers you make it exclusive to a service that not a lot of people like or use. And if they do use it they use it for something totally different. So in this case Hulu fits for them.
zsxvzvzdvzxvxzvxzv

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Okay, now they're asking people to illegally stream their shows.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
BlueBitterCoffee wrote:
Does this mean it cant play on toonami?

Probably.

Well that's disappointing. I was hoping it would get added to the Toonami lineup eventually.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:20 am Reply with quote
SydneyAran wrote:
One of the mysteries of the universe is why Aniplex is still functioning as a company given their business tactics and pricing structure. Course I was fooled a few times and won't be again. The way I look at it if you want to alienate the fanbase and customers you make it exclusive to a service that not a lot of people like or use. And if they do use it they use it for something totally different. So in this case Hulu fits for them.

I know it sucks for those in Canada, but there is no way to make an argument that few people use Hulu. It has many times the subscribers of CR, and it's apps, user interface, quality, and reliability blow CR out of the water.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
I think out of the major streaming players (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YT, CR, Funi, etc.), there is a unique reason I think CR is the best. That is, they are the best in at letting letting fans know the territory availability for their shows.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
BlueBitterCoffee wrote:
Does this mean it cant play on toonami?

Probably. I heard this is what prevented Sailor Moon from getting on Toonami as well (Hulu got exclusive rights from Viz).

I usually wouldn't mind Hulu getting exclusive rights (no double paywall), but I think what's killing them is not their selection (which is already bigger than Netflix's excluding its originals) but the fact that it's charging 5 USD more per month for ad-free streaming than literally any of its competitors.

and that there is more or less the reason why some people unfortunately would rather watch them via illegal streaming fansites instead since their free. you'd think aniplex would learn their lesson by now since its clear viz and funi has which is why their releasing well high octane series like hunter x hunter , dragon ball super and attack of titan S2 on AS first before releasing them online or on dvd. they should have released the kyoto arc on AS as well considering that it actually did well when the first season got released three years before aniplex gave it the sub only treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2