• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Ridiculous School Uniform Designs [2017-04-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wastrel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
How are the kinderwhore outfits of this season's Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor not on the list?

Oooo! (adds to watch list) Very Happy

I know it was too recent to make the list, but the school uniforms in Amanchu! were puzzling to me. I love that show, but those uniforms... how could they walk? How could they get them on?
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the most telling thing about the 1997/2007 list there is just the sheer increase in shows that came out. Anime has just been going up and up. In some good ways and some bad ways, for sure. 2007 was just after the crest of that bubble though.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
The 2006-2007 period remains my favorite of all time because of the diversity of shows on offer. My choices, Dennou Coil, Moribito, and Oh! Edo Rocket, are all very different from each other and unlike any shows in recent memory.

Sadly for me, the number of series I have seen from that season restricted my vote to either Lucky Star or Sola, which hardly makes for the most sporting of contests. Whilst the likes of Dennou Coil certainly sound like respectable shows, never have I been inclined to sample them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
^Edit: Damn!! Blood- beat me to it....

Sorry, man, but when it comes to pointing out gratuitous salaciousness, ya gotta be pretty fast on the draw to beat ole Blood-...
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Opinions on their appearance aside, I'll wager the girl's uniforms in Yuruyuri would be among the most comfortable to wear in real life.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
How are the kinderwhore outfits of this season's Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor not on the list?

Because that didn't exist when the column was written in 10/15. Smile I linked it in case you want to have a peek at the discussion that ensued back then.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Because that didn't exist when the column was written in 10/15. Smile I linked it in case you want to have a peek at the discussion that ensued back then.

I'm confused. What just happened here?
It does explain the general sense of dejavu at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee was too busy with the Preview Guide to write up a new column, so this is one from the vaults. She does this from time to time when necessary. I guess she wasn't as clear about it this time as in the past? I dunno, it was clear to me.

And I still hate Persona 4's uniforms with their visible tailor's chalk and I hate plaid pants in general because they look like leisure suits.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
There's no excuse for this old List to not mention Kanon's "thing", possibly called a school uniform dress. How do describe it... Santa Chic? A blood red one piece that's entirely unsuitable for the town's weather conditions? Utterly awesome and so much total fetish fuel material that the show manages to find ways put non students into it? All of the above?

Showing some skin is the easiest way to fan service but when you can manage it by covering the girls up, that's style.

Plus, by the way the girls seem to not need to wear coats, I take it that their either very well insulated or actually heated. And I haven't even gotten to the "Christmas tree skirt" cape yet. Yes, there's a color coded cape so you can tell which year they are because... I don't know.

All around, it's just weird.

As for the poll:
1997- I got to go with Hyper Police as I still haven't seen Utena yet.
2007... Rawr rawr, Fight da power! Gurren Lagann. Just thinking about the show gets all those powers up songs and marches playing in my head... and it's not a bad thing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Then I have to blame Lynzee's deplorable lack of clairavoyance. And she could have been a lot clearer that she was reprinting an old column. The fact that [2017-04-08] appears after the title doesn't exactly help matters.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I would nominate the uniforms from The Irregular at Magic High School for both sexes. The girls uniforms are lovely, but appear to limit more than them most sedate movements. The guys collars are appear to prevent the head from turning much in either direction. All this from a school that, intentionally or not, seems to spend most of the out of class time fighting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The fact that [2017-04-08] appears after the title doesn't exactly help matters.

That's because there is also new content published today, including the opening explanatory italicized paragraph, the new poll, and results of the last one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Sure, but it helps to mislead readers. Here is the "explanatory" introduction in its entirety:

Quote:
I'm deep in the Preview Guide mines this week, digging through each and every new anime premiere! In the meantime, take a look at some really ridiculous character design choices from ghosts of anime past.

When you see today's date and this somewhat ambiguous explanation, it's easy not to realize you're reading a retread. Here's what would have worked better:

I'm deep in the Preview Guide mines this week, digging through each and every new anime premiere! In the meantime, take a look at some really ridiculous character design choices from an article I wrote in 2015.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Whilst the likes of Dennou Coil certainly sound like respectable shows, never have I been inclined to sample them.

Coil remains among my top-ten shows of the past decade for its prophetic and compelling story line, likeable characters, strong score, and remarkable graphics. Just today I saw this ad for AT&T and wondered if the staff had seen Dennou Coil. Too bad the girl in that ad had to run around with some clunky VR goggles rather than the cool glasses the kids in Coil wear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODTvrQFtEOM
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Opinions on their appearance aside, I'll wager the girl's uniforms in Yuruyuri would be among the most comfortable to wear in real life.

That is part of the reason the uniform may strike it for some people as "ugly" because of the uniforms very practical and simple nature.

My reaction was a little on the ambivalent side, unlike some other uniforms the Yuru Yuri articles aren't overtly flashy which allows the various cast bright Anime colored hair to stick out more, this also helps when the shots will of course go off model and drawing a simple uniform is trickier to catch "off model" than say a uniform that has WAY too many bows and other thrills.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4