• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon's Anime Strike Announces Full Spring Lineup, Premiere Dates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
As usual, premiere times would be nice and not just dates. I'm not any more happy about paying more on top of Prime than anyone else, but at least their selection of simulcasts makes it worthwhile, as least to me. Being able to drop my Hulu subscription due to Sentai switching horses helps too (I still have one show I want to finish before dropping it). Heck I might be able to drop Daisuki too as they don't have any exclusives that I know of, but not until Zestiria finishes at the end of the month.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parsifal24

That Anime Strike membership is looking the best $4.99 I'm spending heaven knows since I signed up for Prime I've been getting my use out of that. Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul got picked up so there is that I'll at least get a chance to watch that as season one was enjoyable.

Will be using that free trial to marathon a couple of those when they finish.

I doubt this will last long, because I feel like the producers will realize when their stuff is being pirated and choose to give it to Crunchyroll.

The draw of "Amazon" is that there are a lot of subscribers to Prime, but how many of them are really going to pay for Anime Strike? Not many, even out of the ones who are already anime fans.

In a couple seasons, they'll take their stuff back to Crunchy.
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

And I would not be surprised if in the end Funimation still dubs and releases Virgin Soul.

Very true. Amazon may only have the exclusive streaming rights, but Funimation may still have the home video license.

After all, Netflix dubbed Seven Deadly Sins, but Funimation is releasing it this summer, so anything is possible.

-Marc.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Everyone follow Mark's Advice. Especially Prime members. Try to be as polite as possible and let them know your concerns. They are a big corporation yes, but 100 + support tickets in a short time about the same thing works for pretty much any company out there to take notice.

Now whether it changes anything, we'll have to see, but gotta do our part now.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Yeah, Funimation and Crunchyroll acquired the home video rights for Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, when you can only stream it on Amazon Prime.

Kabaneri was part of the Noitamina deal (which, as 64BitRatchet notes, will include Dive!! and Inuyashiki in the Summer and Fall), which possibly made things different.

So far the Amazon titles are the Noitamina titles, where the home video license is not necessarily decided yet, Aniplex of America titles, where AoA puts it on every streaming platform out there and then charges Japan-like prices for Japan-like releases, and now everything Sentai Filmworks as Sentai pulled back from Crunchroll after the Crunchyroll-FUNimation team up.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I think that Aniplex of America has the licenses for Saekano and Re:Creators but just hasn't announced it yet.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
Will be using that free trial to marathon a couple of those when they finish.

I doubt this will last long, because I feel like the producers will realize when their stuff is being pirated and choose to give it to Crunchyroll.

The draw of "Amazon" is that there are a lot of subscribers to Prime, but how many of them are really going to pay for Anime Strike? Not many, even out of the ones who are already anime fans.

In a couple seasons, they'll take their stuff back to Crunchy.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Producers sell to the highest bidder.
The only way this return to normal is Amazon losing lots of money because people don't subscribe enough Anime Strike.

Money is the only thing that work on that corporative heads.
hsbeta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Important Question: Are there any information about streaming outside of the United States? Or does it mean other countries are fucked?

Thanks for your answers!
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

For $5/month, it's less than my household was spending on our now canceled Funimation account, and it's less than signing up for Netflix since I'm not a subscriber there. The calculation is obviously different for people who aren't Prime members. I'd prefer a fairly full slate of shows on two platforms to one or two shows exclusive on four or five platforms. For that reason, at this point I much prefer additional Amazon announcements to Netflix getting another show. (I enjoyed Knights of Sidionia a lot, but just waited for a home video release.)
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
And there we have it. They got Recreators and Rage of Bahamut. Bahamut has me surprised. I guess theres gonna be no love lost when taking a sequel away from the original dubbing studio.

These two were pretty much expected, as we already knew about the streaming deals in Japan. Re:Creators was already confirmed for Amazon worldwide, we just didn't know if it would be Prime or Strike.

There hasn't been a home video, or any dubbing announcements made, so it's not entirely impossible that Funimation could still get some deal for Bahamut. They also stream subbed and dubbed shows on Strike.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
It looks like Clockwork Planet is the only major title left to get a streaming announcement. However, since Amazon finished their announcements I have a feeling that this will be on Crunchyroll with a Simuldub from Funimation.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
hsbeta wrote:
Important Question: Are there any information about streaming outside of the United States? Or does it mean other countries are fucked?

Thanks for your answers!

Nothing official yet. A few of the Sentai/Amazon shows are being streamed on Anime Lab in Australia, so anything is possible. These two Amazon was specifically cited as having worldwide rights, so Prime in non-Strike regions is the most likely candidate. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see them sublicense some out either.
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
hsbeta wrote:

Thanks for your answers!

Last season, Scum's Wish was exclusively streamd on Amazon Strike for the US, BUT it was available in the Latin American Amazon Prime Video, alongside Onihei and The Great Passage. I don't know how it works in other countries, tho, but I think some of these shows were also available in Amazon UK.

If this trend continues, people outside the US might be able to watch these shows on Amazon Prime, just like any simulcast. The problem is, well, not everybody has an Amazon account!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I guess Amazon is destroying the R1 industry by picking up 12 of the 30+ titles that are premiering this season. Time for Crunchyroll and Funimation to pack up a go home. Twisted Evil

When Amazon has the means to outbid anyone else and then charge extra to see that content, it doesn't paint a very encouraging picture. It is rather unlikely that CR/Funi can afford to get into bidding contests with Amazon, especially when one of the goals of the partnership was to get license costs down to more manageable levels. They might not need to pack it in right away, but it's looking more and more like they will need to find ways to make do with what they can get.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7