• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Except for things like opting to go down fighting the brunt of Gllarhorn's fleet in the Dort 3 arc up until Kudelia forced Gllarhorn into a corner.

Uh, they had a plan to descend. They weren't even really pressed that hard as they didn't really take any damage.

Batknight wrote:
Don't see how the plan to escape to earth is dumb. If all their information and identities were changed and tampered with it would make it incrediably diffcult for Rustal to find them. Though if they did make it to earth I doubt all the hundreds of members of Tekkadan could stay together. Some would probably be forced to split up to keep a low profile.

It is dumb because part of it included staying together. They literally said exactly that. They also would have to get there while Rustal hunts them the whole way. Remember it was a big deal to be able to smuggle Kudelia to Earth in S1, and it took allies and resources to do it (that is before even considering their base was surrounded already which to be fair they didn't know). Even with new identities, they can't just fly over in their ship. But yeah, that little thing you admit wouldn't work... totally their plan so...

If it was just erasing their identities then all going separate ways, that wouldn't be that bad of a plan. At least then I could see maybe Orga should go for it because it quite possibly could end with a lot of the lesser known members escaping.
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
Fun episode. I think the part that got me the most was when Kudelia asked Mikazuki for a hug, and gave a resigned smile after Mika's tether to Barbatos kept him from coming all the way to her. And I have to applaud Kudelia and Atra. Their actions over the episodes might have finally let Mikazuki interalize the fact that people can be good at more than one, and even wildly different, things. I think the "finance" Kudelia managing to grow flowers was what cinched it.

The "change our identities" plan seemed a little silly to me until I thought about the world some more. I think Tekkadan is resigned to the end of the organization, but not the family. In fact, Orga's final promise of "jobs where you don't have to dirty your hands" always seemed to me to indicate that the Tekkadan was going to disperse some. So changing their identities is not too far as long as they still maintain their ties. I can see some exposition with Cookie and Cracker recognizing some members as a good way to show it. The other thing is the setting's medical technology. Medical technology that has saved so many characters so far? It would not surprise me if cosmetic surgery has also advanced, and might be part of the changing identities plan.

As for Orga's begging? It made sense to me. I think he's been trying to find a way to break off from McGillis from the Ba'al reveal, and has been trying to be a responsible adult and save his kids/family from what he has brought down on them.

McGillis worries me. He had been an effective planner up until the Ba'al reveal, which fell completely flat. He took Ba'al as a proof of absolute power, and no one seems to be acknowledging it. Then we have him going not just to Mars orbit, but down to Mars itself, despite the fact that he has to know Tekkadan will be cut off. McGillis also seemed to be fine about being in an inferior position of power compared to Tekkadan once down there. That seems weird when you consider how he took to being in a similar position in Gjallarhorn/Fareed family. If McGillis was actually out of options at this point, it would make more sense for him to disappear off into space without going groundside. Build up his resources again, maybe do some guerrilla work with Ba'al until he has enough support again. This leads me to believe that McGillis has something on Mars itself that he thinks will swing things his way again. And the difference between now and before is that he has Ba'al. So.... my thought? Agnika gained control of Gjallarhorn originally because Ba'al has something onboard that allows outright control of Mobile Armors (he was an uncontested power since he could make them sleep or attack at will). McGillis knew about what would set off the Mobile Armors and all because of his study of them as part of studying Ba'al, and the fact that he might have already been collecting them under his pseudonym.

So, my predictions of the next few episodes:
48 - Tekkadan vs. Gjallarhorn. Roughly even fight, ending with both sides banged up and exhausted as McGillis arrives with his "final solution". My guess - a few Mobile Armors under Ba'al's control. Iok and Zeke arrive sometime during the fight to document the actions of people there (both are unarmed/on foot, Iok does not do more than talk, though he does it persuasively over the next few episodes).

49 - Tekkadan and Gjallarhorn vs. McGillis - Mars is Tekkadan's home. They are not going to let McGillis unleash his solution without trying to stop them. Gjallarhorn joins in because of pride and because it is what they were meant for. Eugene is upset for having to take the civvies away, and there might be a blue screen moment when Mika drops the "baby bomb".

50 - Conclusion/Epilogue - if not finished the previous episode, McGillis and his forces are finished here. Gjallarhorn announces that Tekkadan bravely fought and fell against McGillis - the organization is dead. Rustal allows them to run, change their identities, and hide because he figures they might be an asset later. Queue the "where are they now" bit of the episode showing what everyone is doing.

As for the Julietta vs. Mikazuki from a few episodes/pages back? It made sense to me, because Julietta had 3 things going for her. 1. Mikazuki had to pace himself. He had been out in the fighting since the beginning, had been fighting for hours, and was expecting to fight for many more. Even if he had taken Julietta out, he still had the Dainslef attack line and a row of battleships that he was planning to crush. Julietta, on the other hand, had been kept out of battle until Mikazuki had been extended. 2. Julia is probably not that far off specs-wise from Barbatos, save the control scheme. From what was said, Julia has the same number of reactors and similar weapons, so Mika's only real advantage over her is significantly better handling. 3. Julietta was working to
stop Mikazuki, not beat him, and had understood the difference by this point. I do not think Julietta even expected to straight beat Mikazuki, just either hold him in check or mission kill him in such a way that he could no longer influence the battle. Barbatos was a cornerstone for the rebel fleet, and Julietta managed to take it away during the crucial moments of battle. For what she needed to do for Rustal, she won.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
This latest episode was sad to watch. Tekkadan been backed into a corner and there's no way out. The Mika, Atra and Kudelia moment was nice for what solace it offered then and there, but these last episodes are likely going to pile on the drama like no one's business.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I like the character development in the last few episodes, but I am sure that will come at a cost of a lot of lives. Tekkadan is pretty screwed, people will die left and right, I can feel it. Very interested to see how Mika will go out, or if Orga will save him, or not.

On a side note, the child sex subplot was disturbing.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Uh, they had a plan to descend. They weren't even really pressed that hard as they didn't really take any damage.

They had 3 mobile suits and two ships against an entire fleet and a large number of mobile suits had they fought IBO would've ended right then and there.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

People have been saying that if Mika doesn't survive the series, Kudelia, Atra (or both!) will have his kid. I dismissed this theory, but the way the Atra/Mika scene was framed this week, with its emphasis on them being alone and expressing their feelings...it's definitely possible their physical interaction went beyond a hug (I don't think it's really in character for either of them, but possible).
Mika's more likely to become part of Barbatos's operating system than actually dying altogether...
I just had a fanfic premonition: the show ends with an epilogue showing Mika and Atra's kid piloting Barbatos--Don't do it, show!

Agent355 wrote:
...They're both kids with zero romantic relationship experience and the only sex education they got is through observing others--Atra presumably at the brothel she worked at (and escaped from before her "debut" as a sex worker herself) and Mikazuki through--I have no idea. He didn't seem to know what a kiss was until he saw Naze kiss Amida, and copied it by kissing Kudelia. Mika seems to take a "monkey see, monkey do" approach to human interactions in general. Unless the other boys spoke about it explicitly (and he payed attention--you can never tell when he's paying attention to anything) or he was shown or saw something explicit...
TL;DR All we saw them do was hug, and going beyond that doesn't seem in character for either of them. If there was more than a hug, I hope we get a flashback detailing how "one thing led to another" and who instigated it, because going from two clueless fourteen-year-olds (were their ages confirmed?) to "btw, Atra's pregnant" in the epilogue will be totally out of left field.

Welp. I was wrong. Really wrong. I still don't think Mika or Atra have a sophisticated, mature grasp of sex and relationships, but they decided they wanted a baby and were able to figure out what to do to make one, and now they've asked Kudelia to join them, too.

...So now I think the epilogue will show Kudelia and Atra raising their babies together, telling them stories of their fallen father until they're old enough to pilot his consciousness still "living" in Barbatos (at, like, 12, cause this world has child soldiers, and its Gundam)...
Oh, man, if I was wrong about Atra & Mikazuki being physical, was I wrong about McGillis and his loli wife, too? NO! *shudders*
Ambimunch wrote:

On a side note, the child sex subplot was disturbing.

Are you referring to Atra & Mikazuki's babymaking scheme, McGillis's childhood, or McGillis's marriage to a 12-year-old? Because I agree on all 3 counts.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:00 am Reply with quote
Ep 48

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spoiler[I had a feeling something was going to happen, but I thought it might be Ride since he was in such a good mood. FACK!!!!!!!

One has to suspect if McGillis was behind this since obviously that car was waiting for them to come outside of the building, and McGillis is probably the only one who knew they were going there. If that's the case, I'll be looking forward to when the truth comes out and Mikazuki gives him a good beat down.]

EDIT: Huh, the TV broadcast didn't include a preview but it seems the net streaming version did. FAAAAAACKKKKKKKKKK again!! And considering the title of next week's episode, spoiler[definitely a good chance that McGillis was the culprit.]
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Huh - surprisingly unaffected by that episode. spoiler[I guess I didn't feel as connected to you-know-who as I thought I would by this point.]

Regarding the child sex subplot thing - I thought someone mentioned above that Atra and Mika are supposed to be around 17, not 12? I don't recall the show ever saying, but it has been a long ride and even if it did so I'd likely have forgotten by now.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Eeehhh ... i mean i'm sad that spoiler[Orga died] but it was pretty predictable that something really bad was going to happen this episode. Even more when suddenly it was going too well at the end. His death didn't hit as much as spoiler[Lafter or Shino] and that's sad because... well, its freakin spoiler[Orga !]
anifani

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I love this series, but it's killing me. Almost every episode of Season II has left me in tears.
Poor Orga.

This is right out of left field, and pairings are so out of place with everything going on, but why do I keep thinking that its Eugene who's Merribit's special someone? There's absolutely no evidence? Confused
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, definitely heading to the finish line in classic Gundam fashion spoiler[and by that I mean that Tomino's "kill 'em all" mantra continues on.].

spoiler[I always figured Orga was going to bite it from the very start of the series as is Gundam tradition. Wouldn't be a Gundam without main character deaths (unless you're X). Now to get the fatalities bingo sheet ready. I just hope Iok and Rustal die as ignobly and pathetically as possible.]
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
While there were a lot of signs I still wasn't expecting spoiler[ Orga's death ] to happen until ep.49 or 50. Like with Lafter's death it came sooner than I expected.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
anifani wrote:

This is right out of left field, and pairings are so out of place with everything going on, but why do I keep thinking that its Eugene who's Merribit's special someone? There's absolutely no evidence? Confused

Yeah I don't know why anyone would think that when Eugene is only interested in prostitutes
and Merribitt had setup with Orga until the writers pulled a Vince Russo and pulled a ridiculous swerve that still makes no sense.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I didn't guess it was his turn either. IMO, it was sad, but it was also a really cool exit though.

It seems like spoiler[they're going to pull a TTGL just like the relationship between Simon and Kamina.] I think it's weird if McGillis was the culprit. Does McGillis still have power in Mars? Isn't it logical for his assets to be frozen too? He can't have been carrying a bucket of cash inside Bael's cockpit right?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Actually I think Rustal could be a suspect too. He is certainly not above hiring a hit squad and who doesn't know Tekkadan's connection to Kudelia and by extension Admoss Company at this point? It wouldn't be difficult to predict that if any were to break the encirclement, they would be headed there. As a business, the location of the headquarters is public knowledge, so you just send some people to stake out the office, have them call the hit squad if and when they see any of them, wait for them to leave the building and well we know the rest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 41 of 47