• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Switch Console Survives Multiple 5ft Drops

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow, 5 feet. Rolling Eyes
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
^Well that's about as high as it would fall if you dropped it while standing (probably a bit more than it would be for most people actually), so that seems a reasonable height to test the durability. Unless you drop it a lot or play it over high balconies, it seems more than sufficient.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Good to know about Switch's durability but Notch's tweets are priceless.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Nice durability and the tweets from notch xD
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
Very comforting that the Nintendo Switch boasts a high durability against several drops! Smile
However, I have to agree with Notch that the charging input being at the bottom of the console makes for playing in a somewhat uncomfortable position...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
There are several top-tier wrestlers who could not survive multiple five-foot drops, and under normal circumstances they wouldn't allow anyone to play games on them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote
That charging location does seem to be in a bad spot...
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...and one of Nintendo's original DS handhelds was buried in a time capsule for eight years but still booted up without issues.

Unless it was a poorly sealed time capsule that let in water and/or dirt, color me unimpressed. It would be the equivalent of storing it for 8 years in a cool dark room.

Even after 50 years, I would expect the device itself to work after the battery was replaced.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
Disclaimer: Please do not test this yourself at home with your own expensive console you stupid little bastards.
vallum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:28 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

However, I have to agree with Notch that the charging input being at the bottom of the console makes for playing in a somewhat uncomfortable position...

I disagree. Charging it using the cable means playing in the "portable mode", which means the player is supposed to actually hold it to play.
If the player doesn't want to hold it while playing, he just have to put it inside the dock to recharge and use the TV to play.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
There are several top-tier wrestlers who could not survive multiple five-foot drops, and under normal circumstances they wouldn't allow anyone to play games on them!

I'm assuming one of those isn't Kenny Omega Razz .
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
partially

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Very comforting that the Nintendo Switch boasts a high durability against several drops! Smile

The silly thing is that it just shows a lack of research. The charging location was a very common complaint with the Playstation Vita. Whereas Nintendo always did it right with their portables. And then the switch, they stuff it.
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
So. I'm deprived from owning a Switch because somebody /had/ to destroy one. Sweet Jeebus!

Those tweets, though. Hilarious!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Good to know that after the Wii Remote, Nintendo's Nintendium supply hasn't run out. But I'd like to see more vigorous tests. There was that scene in The Man Show where the midget (I think his name was Ed, but I can't remember) brought each of the 5th-generation systems in and a sledgehammer to smash them. The Xbox was destroyed in one hit, the PlayStation was destroyed in one hit, but when Ed tried to smash the Nintendo 64, all that the first sledgehammer blow did was crack the Expansion Pak lump. The second sledgehammer blow made a dent in the casing, and it was finally destroyed with the third hit.

There's also all those photos of Wii Remotes being dislodged in walls after people threw them, but never have the Wii Remotes taken any damage. Walls are caved in, TV screens are cracked open, furniture is torn and shattered, but the Wii Remote always looks good as new.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Yeah, my tablet is like that. it's weird and I understand this frustration. But personally, I'd just put it on a flat, level surface, like a table.

If the charging port is at the back, then that'd be truly problematic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1