• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
This week's episode had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Right up until spoiler[ I felt my heart sink with disappointment with that last shot...I was right there with Shino and his frustration. Damn it all, R.I.P Shino...]
Garden-variety wizard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
CrescentWolf wrote:
This week's episode had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Right up until spoiler[ I felt my heart sink with disappointment with that last shot...I was right there with Shino and his frustration. Damn it all, R.I.P Shino...]

Indeed. I had an idea there was more to that friendship than was let on, as well.

Damn, the deception and treachery in this series gets me heated!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
This was a chaotic episode indeed. Damn it all to what happened though.
The American Average

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Man I love Iok, every scene he's in is the best.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, this was so frustrating, but I knew they wouldn't kill off Rustal and Iok with four/five episodes to go. I hadn't noticed the similarity to Lockon missing his last shot before dying, but if it was meant as a homage, then it was a self-homage, because this episode of IBO was written by Yosuke Kuroda, who wrote all of Gundam 00.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Shino would've made the shot if it wasn't for Julietta. Credit where credit's due though, she was scuffing with Mika and holding her own really well, somehow. But by the look on Mika's face in the next ep preview, playtime's over.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I hadn't noticed the similarity to Lockon missing his last shot before dying, but if it was meant as a homage, then it was a self-homage, because this episode of IBO was written by Yosuke Kuroda, who wrote all of Gundam 00.

Lockon didn't miss. He destroyed Zwei and most of Ali's body. The innovators just 'regenerated' it like they did for Louise.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Double posted on accident if someone wants to delete this.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even more interesting is how Norba Shino's role in this episode mirrors that of sniper Lockon Stratos (what a name!) during Mobile Suit Gundam 00. Like today, Lockon had just one shot, and like today, Lockon flubbed it and died soon after.

While I understand he failed to kill Al-Saachez, Lockon still managed to take him and the Gundam Throne Zwei out from that last battle. It was still a meaningful sacrifice, albeit a tremendous loss, so I don't think it was entirely a flub.

Regarding the latest episode though, I really loved the look on Rustal's face when he realized what Shino was doing. I agree about how the chaos of the battle was properly conveyed. I liked how Julieta managed to become a pain in the ass for Mika. I also liked how the guys in the Landman Rodi managed to get some screen time (I have a soft spot for that suit).

I think the pair of golden blades that Bael was using was actually taken from the Grimgerde, which its frame is being used by Isurugi now. That speech scene of his was pretty cool.

The scene when the Tekkadan guys took a quick look at all those body bags was good too.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the portrayal of Yamagi and Shino's relationship, but it's still okay.

If there are still five more episodes like this, I guess we're really in for a treat.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Regarding the latest episode though, I really loved the look on Rustal's face when he realized what Shino was doing

Yeah that look was great. Its too bad it was kinda obvious that he wasn't going to die. I did think Shino would blow up the ship though.

BlueAlf wrote:
I'm a bit uncomfortable with the portrayal of Yamagi and Shino's relationship, but it's still okay.

Not really 'their' relationship though. More like Yamagi revealed his one-sided crush.
Faeris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
the death flag was pretty strong but I'm sad that he had to go with awful feelings: frustration, rage, disappointment.
He did a lot for Tekkadan, and tho I know it's highly unlikely to get "honorable death" or whatever, I feel he deserved better.

Poor Yamagi.
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of the plot device where Mika suddenly sucks at fighting a normal person when he has upgraded Gundam frame and taboo surgery. He should have been able to disable her in no time. Kind of weak writing there if you ask me.
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
Not a fan of the plot device where Mika suddenly sucks at fighting a normal person when he has upgraded Gundam frame and taboo surgery. He should have been able to disable her in no time. Kind of weak writing there if you ask me.

I agree considering that Amida was throttling her in an older, less agile mobile suit without an A.V. System interface and while not even being 100% focused on her. Mika should have been able to swat her down and fly back for a nap.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:

Yeah, that was silly, and he should have curb stomped her. Juilet lost to Naze's girl in a normal suit. She shouldn't be able to lay a finger on Mika with his direct connect gundam. Galeo also seemed to under perform. Considering he was shown to be roughly on par with Mika, those handful of guys holding him back should have lasted like 20 seconds and no where near long enough for McGillis to go off to do anything. It reminded me of how Athrun went from kicking ass in a Zaku to somehow even with the same pilots/gundams when he upgraded to Savior.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:23 am Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:

Mika isn't cutting loose because going all out means he would suffer backlash from the AV system, doing so this early in a clearly prolonged conflict would effectively be a huge victory for Arionhrod fleet as the battlefield had a significant gap in distance from where the mobile suit clashes were taking place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 47