• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gabriel DropOut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I appreciate the thought of a Vigne-heavy episode, but I have to say this one wasn't among my favourite of the season. Vigne's "bad deeds" schtick was pretty reminiscent of Satania's "breaking proper recycling rules" etc of the first episode.
My thoughts exactly. Though I did like Master's bit, the high five with Satania and the bear pun they kept alluding back to.
chito895

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought the first part of episode 7 was the lamest of the three. I feel I've seen that kind of sequence too many times for it make me laugh, and these characters aren't the greatest to make the most overused jokes work.

My favorite part was the "counting Cerberus and Gabriels" sequence. It was a neat joke that came from the nature of the show, and watching the cerberi getting trapped behind the fence and Gabriel getting tired of it was very funny.

The ED was great, too. Hearing Vigne's breathing by the time she fell asleep was adorable.
BethanyP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Well. This episode didn't actively bore me as last week's did, but it does rather confirm my suspicion that the show doesn't really know what to do with Vigne other than have her act normal and nice. Her Satania-esque idea of evil doesn't really go anywhere in the end - the first segment would probably have worked better if she knew what she had to do to be evil but couldn't bring herself to do it

It's a shame, really, because the appearance of her fork back in episode 1, and her cheerful knife threats in episode 2 both made me laugh. I can't help but wonder what we'd get with an ironically evil Vigne: "We're going to have a wholesome high school life ... or else"
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
The dog continues to steal not just Satania's bread, but the whole episode. This is a running joke I will never get tired of. There's a Greek Mythology level of sadism to that particular prank.
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
BethanyP wrote:
I can't help but wonder what we'd get with an ironically evil Vigne: "We're going to have a wholesome high school life ... or else"

Did Episode 9 live up to your expectations in this regard? I was pleased.

I am not so pleased with the English subtitles, however. My Japanese is pretty minimal, but even I can tell that they are taking a lot of liberties -- which wouldn't be so bad, if the changes were for the better. They seem fairly pointless, for the most part. For example: in Ep. 7, Vignette starts her meal with a very normal "itadakimasu," but the subtitles make it, "Thank you, Demon Lord," or some such nonsense. Other changes have definitely taken something away. For example: Vignette's comments to Gabriel when she prevented her from leaving the Christmas party were much sharper in the original ("Where are you going from this fun party, I wonder?" versus a bland "The party isn't over." ).
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Vigne and Raphiel make every effort to prevent Satania from correlating Christmas (a secular holiday in Japan) with the birth of Christ,

Ok, ok. This is one of those myths that just refuses to die. Christmas is a secular holiday everywhere, not just Japan. Christmas celebrations were adopted from the pagan holiday Saturnalia, an event of gift-giving and partying.

We don't even know which year Jesus was born in, let along which day.

Quote:
The date of birth of Jesus is not stated in the gospels or in any secular text, but most scholars assume a date of birth between 6 BC and 4 BC.[1] The historical evidence is too incomplete to allow a definitive dating,[2] but the date is estimated through two different approaches—one by analyzing references to known historical events mentioned in the nativity accounts in the Gospels of Luke and Matthew, and the second by working backwards from the estimation of the start of the ministry of Jesus.[3][4]
BethanyP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
BethanyP wrote:
I can't help but wonder what we'd get with an ironically evil Vigne: "We're going to have a wholesome high school life ... or else"

Did Episode 9 live up to your expectations in this regard? I was pleased.

This episode is definitely my favourite so far. Nice balance between the characters, and some religious-themed jokes at last. I loved Satania's determination to spoil Christmas

Quote:
Ok, ok. This is one of those myths that just refuses to die. Christmas is a secular holiday everywhere, not just Japan. Christmas celebrations were adopted from the pagan holiday Saturnalia, an event of gift-giving and partying.

If we're going to be properly accurate than Christmas can be a secular holiday everywhere. There are plenty of people in the world who treat it as a religious holiday (Hah, a literal holiday you might say).
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Nine is definitely my favourite episode so far. All characters get to shine, great humour at the expense of holiday traditions and remarkable silly faces.

kinghumanity wrote:
Christmas is a secular holiday everywhere, not just Japan. Christmas celebrations were adopted from the pagan holiday Saturnalia, an event of gift-giving and partying.
Not in Russia it ain't (though it's celebrated at a different date). Ironically it was the Bolsheviks who helped "purify" Christmas in Russia of pagan influences by reassigning the gift giving and tree decorating traditions to New Year's instead. But then, it's probably just a small minority that actually go to Christmas services in churches; many if not most of us just treat it as yet another excuse to get together with relatives and get drunk during the long winter holiday period.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
No mention of one of my favourite jokes, even if it is just a small one. That was with Satania trying to sneak into heaven.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I always suspected Vigne was the most evil of the quartet, but this revelation did not fill me with rapture as anticipated. On the other hand Satania should be re-christened Saintania because she always turns the other cheek. Love her. Bearing witness to Gab break out the trumpet never gets old. However...why does Hey Zeus look like Hitler? Why does Japan do this?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Zeus? Do you mean Jesus on the cross? If ya look closely it's actually the coffee-brewing guy (not sure if the pun involving the master title which is commonly used in Japan for coffee/tea/bar owners and Master being a commonly used title for Jesus was intentional, but it made me chuckle when I saw it)
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 10 was disappointing in that practically none of the jokes landed for me (Raphi's bits came the closest). Vigne's flashback was decent iyashikei though - those were some brief but adorable family interactions. I hope that the soundtrack or character song discs contain a full version of her Funiculì, Funiculà Smile Also props to the Crunchyroll's Italian subbers for making the translated line somewhat match the rhythm of the original song (though it would have been even cooler if they had translated it into Neapolitan).
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
the whole mcdowell family delusion just killed me. how they painted the wall of their dining room in order to create a perspective trick that made the room seem larger, this is one rare joke in which the more one applies logic to it the funnier it gets because of how surreal the whole thing is, from the fact that the perspective trick can only actually works from a set specific point in the room, meaning it doesn't actually works for anyone actually seated at the table, to the added effect on the viewer's perspective of their family income once we realise how small the room really is and the fact that their table is arranged with one side touching the wall. which then makes one realize even the chimney is fake and a wall washer is standing over boxes.

gabriel dropout might be just another "cute girls doing cute things" anime, but if you are like me and didn't spoil the genre for yourself by watching every addition as it aired, then this one is definitively a perfectly competent piece of weekly fun
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 10 was hilarious. About the only bit that didn't work for me was Vignette's huge monster. The deadpan expression on Satanichia's brother's face as he was forced to listen to their mass delusion was absolutely priceless.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I feel like more could have been done with Vignette family, it immediately shifted to the monster pet, but even that they didn't do much with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5