• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: K-ON! Tops Poll of Anime With Same-Face Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiranehito

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
Hisashi Hirai and Rumiko Takahashi are always at the top of same-face syndrome for me. But this kind of issue is way too common in anime and manga and VN industry. Nishimata Aoi (mostly known for her VNs artworks) is very well known for recycling the same face over and over again like this gif for example.

When I recommended my non-otaku friend to watch anime, she'd always complain that all the characters have the same face, and I kept telling her "Don't see their face! See their hair or their colors, that's what makes 'em different!"
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Osomatsu-san

No kidding, Sherlock...
Urienru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:34 am Reply with quote
animemaster1 wrote:
I'm surprised Attack on Titan is up there (number 7). The characters are super diverse looking. None of the characters look anything like. Makes no sense.
Same.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:50 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Yeah, that one confuses me, unless they looked somewhat more similar in the manga than in the anime

Pretty sure that's why - the manga doesn't have the greatest art and often characters look way too much alike, even in expression. The anime made that issue pretty much disappear, though.

I wonder where Takeuchi Every-Character-is-Saber Takashi would rank in this Laughing
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:41 am Reply with quote
This is the rare poll where we get responses from across more of the history of anime than usual, and not just the last five years like we so often do. Clannad and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya are both a decade old at this point, Gundam Seed 15, and Touch is over 30 years old.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
I think Osomatsu-san deserves the dubious honor more since the anime does not bother hiding its same-face intention. Also, I am kind of surprised that some shows like Attack on Titans and Gintama are there even though almost everyone has a unique face. Congrats to K-On!, I guess. Its same face design will always be one of the cutest.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I agree AoT doesn't have same face issues.

The manga's artist has a really, really bad habit of drawing Eren and Levi in indistinguishably similar ways. Ditto with Mikasa, Ymir and spoiler[Frieda], as well as Armin and spoiler[Historia]. Heck, there were even a couple of points where it was impossible to tell whether a character was Jean or Reiner.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget that anime/manga creators often re-cycle the appearances of characters from earlier Series A to later Series B.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon's manga has this REALLY bad.....as does Fruits Basket, Vampire Knight, and Dragon Ball.

As an amateur manga artist, I try not to fall into this trap but it's REALLY hard because "I just want to make everyone look cute!" Anime hyper

Sometimes even the colors can go too far. Like, did you realize that 90% of the Sailor Moon cast has blue eyes? 90 bloody %!!! Even the minor characters like Naru! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I wonder where Takeuchi Every-Character-is-Saber Takashi would rank in this

Every character should be Saber. Smile

Last edited by Chiibi on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote
Guess I'm the only one here that things AoT has a lot of characters that look way too similar. I couldn't get into the manga at all because I kept forgetting who was who and I got confused when a dead character was magically alive in the next chapter...turns out it was just some nameless character that happened to look too much like a main character?

That said, I never thought the girls of K-On looked too similar to each other, rather I think that a lot of KyoAni's subsequent shows looked too much like K-On. They even drew official Haruhi art that looked too much like the K-On style. They've stopped doing it now, but for a while almost every KyoAni character just looked like a K-On character, and it was kinda weird.

Love Live though, definitely. They remind me of those flash game dressup dolls where you can just change the hair and eye colour.

As for Osomatsu-san....it seems the people who voted for it were either joking or completely missed the point of the question...
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
Okay, so what about Wake up Girls? The show where all the characters look so similar to each other that they were literally indistinguishable? The show where I legitimately struggled to tell the characters apart to the point where I swore two characters were the same person?

It's almost as if the people who voted for this just saw a popular show they don't care for rising up the ranks and decided to vote for it. But they wouldn't do that would they?
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
It does seem to be missing the point to name series with actual twins (as in Touch, since the amusing thing with Adachi isn't that all the characters in one series look the same, it's that the same archetypes like the main characters look the same across series) or sextuplets like Osomatsu-san. I suppose people can answer it how they want, but I'd be more likely to list series with ostensibly unrelated characters who look the same.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
It does seem to be missing the point to name series with actual twins (as in Touch, since the amusing thing with Adachi isn't that all the characters in one series look the same, it's that the same archetypes like the main characters look the same across series) or sextuplets like Osomatsu-san. I suppose people can answer it how they want, but I'd be more likely to list series with ostensibly unrelated characters who look the same.

I wonder how the question was asked, or if maybe a lot of participants didn't understand what they meant. Otherwise, I don't think it makes much sense to include shows where characters are deliberately meant to look identical by virtue of the plot in this list.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the shingeki no kyojin manga suffered from this issue to a certain extent, but Isayama's art style has improved a lot recently, not to mention the anime has rectified the character designs so well that people would absolutely never mistake Reiner for Jean, or Berthold for Marco...

On the other hand, I find the opposite more fascinating: drawing a single character in a different style every time (and no, not due to lack of skill or art evolution). I only know one artist who does this and I'm interested to know if there are more. BTW, that artist is the character designer of Kino no Tabi, Kuroboshi Kouhaku. Take a look at the covers of the novel. Kino never looks like the same person.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, thing is that cute characters tend to have plain flat faces so there is technically little that can be done to differentiate characters. K-On actually does a better job differentiating characters than other cute girls shows like Love Live and the one just mentioned here, Wake up Girls, I didn't watch the second but looking at pictures on google search is pretty incriminating evidence regarding the identical look of characters.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I guess that it's natural for beautiful characters to look all the same (beauty ideal) while ugly characters look all ugly in different ways (nose, etc).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3