• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Anime Features Original Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Starts with filler? What!?
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Have they animated the 10 chapter Scarlet Spring manga yet?
Adv193

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
My views with fillers may vary from time to time, but last year's was truly horrendous and unnecessary. Still even though the Boruto manga series will shift back to it's regular story after the events from Boruto the Movie ends, the problem is like with Fullmetal Alchemist for example, it is monthly series, instead of a weekly series, which is why it will feature it's own original story.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this filler doesn't suck.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
Why people prefer faithful manga adaptation? The Boruto manga is nothing interesting like Naruto. I somewhat prefer all original episodes for Boruto. Thats depend on how they did it though.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
The manga that exist thus far include a one-volume miniseries that would be good for a single arc of anime, and an ongoing series (published monthly, IIRC?) that hasn't even finished covering the movie.

While the anime series will almost certainly incorporate Kishimoto's manga story, and will probably rehash the movie at some point, there's simply not enough source material out there to make an ongoing series out of. This show will have to be mostly anime-original.

That means there's a great opportunity here for them to make a show that builds toward something (something we don't already know about) every week, since they won't have to live in fear of contradicting a weekly comic that they're not allowed to catch up with. But whether we get a true sequel to Naruto or just season after season of bland fanfic depends on who's plotting the whole thing out: Kishimoto himself, or that same batch of writers who churned out all that Shippuuden filler.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
So it's an original arc, and it's by Pierrot... Pretty much a recipe for success Rolling Eyes
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
They need a strong arc centered on the title character to launch the show, and since the Naruto Gaiden volume is Sarada-centric and the manga's first arc (which just ended) is an adaptation of the movie, I guess doing an original story while waiting for the manga to generate more new material was the best choice the staff had.

Or, you know, they could have waited another year before doing a Boruto TV series.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
They need a strong arc centered on the title character to launch the show, and since the Naruto Gaiden volume is Sarada-centric and the manga's first arc (which just ended) is an adaptation of the movie, I guess doing an original story while waiting for the manga to generate more new material was the best choice the staff had.

Or, you know, they could have waited another year before doing a Boruto TV series.

Sure. There's still other material to adapt. Kakashi Hiden, Sakura Hiden, Gaara Hiden, Akatsuki Hiden. That would be good for 5-6 more months of episodes.

They could even do Dokonjo Ninden and Dojunjo Ninden.
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
So what I take from this is it won't be recapping the movie.

That's a good thing, I'll admit though at first I thought it meant filler of some sort, but then I remembered the manga is basically just the movie so far (isn't it? I haven't read it myself but that's what I hear).

Anyway, I'm personally looking forward to this. I like the world and characters of Naruto and I'm interested in seeing what the new generation is up to.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind if this series did some retcons of the manga and have Naruto end up with Sakura in this series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2