• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KONOSUBA - God's blessing on this wonderful world! 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I began to read the light novel after the first series ended, and then saw a second season was coming out and stopped immediately. Fortunately I only read up to the trial last episode so this episode was completely new to me.

Definitely a great comedy, although fortunately it's not the only good comedy this season. I don't really care about ranking, the more good series there are the better.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
Loved the 2nd ep. My favorite part was Megumin's deadpan "the frog is starting to digest me." Very Happy
I hope we learn more about Megumin now that we've seen intriguing, out-of-context clips of her backstory. Although if she actually grew up starving and having to scrounge up food for herself and her sister, this show needs to add a tiny bit of room for pathos and emotion, because it would be weird if it were played entirely for laughs. Frankly, I think KonoSuba could use a bit of emotional substance. There are very few long lasting comedies that have no character arcs or serious moments at all. A little would go a long way towards making these characters slightly more sympathetic when they need to be, or at least a bit multidimensional. Multidimensional-ish

NPC wrote:

Quote:
even when he (accidentally) stole Chris's underwear, he did swing them around in the air and celebrate as the other witness described.

Did you miss the part where she tried to swindle him from all his money he risked his life for? Chris suggested to teach him the spell and used the lesson to deceive him. He was glad that he didn't steal a rock and had something to negotiate the return of the money. His actions were completely justified. Chris tried to explain it during the trial. Also, Chris was wearing shorts, so missing panties didn't affect her much.

I don't think humiliating a woman in public through sexual harassment is tit-for-tat for attempted robbery. And it doesn't matter whether other people noticed she wasn't wearing panties, because Kazuma *was waving around her panties and screaming about how excited he was that he got them in public.* If he kept it quiet and just used the situation to negotiate with her and maybe get an apology out of her, it would've been one thing, but he chose to loudly publicly humiliate her. That was absolutely disgusting, and it turned me off the show for a while.

NPC wrote:

Quote:
That girl he "saved" was in no danger as it was from a slow moving tractor.

He didn't know it so it is irrelevant. He though she was in danger and acted accordingly with percieved danger to his own life, so large in fact that he had a heart attack. This was selfless act and the fact that you mention it as something bad puzzles me.

This I completely agree with. Good intentions matter, and the only person who suffered was himself. Aqua rubbing it in that Kazuma didn't actually save anyone was more cruel than funny.

NPC wrote:

Quote:
I could probably find more if I wanted to. But overall while he is not all bad, he is not all good either.

More of that would be pointless. Nothing you mentioned is bad, most of it just normal human behavior. No one is "all good". He is mostly normal, occacionally awesome. Much better than average.

He tends to lean on the jerky, selfish side, but he's generally a decent person when it counts. Hey, he tried to save the girls from becoming frog chow this ep!
NPC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I don't think humiliating a woman in public through sexual harassment is tit-for-tat for attempted robbery.

And you are, indeed, right. Tit-for-tat for attempted robbery in medieval times would be death. Horrible, likely slow, and very very painful. Does it mean that "humiliating in public" in your opinion is worse then "horrible, likely slow, and very very painful, death"? Well, I suppose you are entitled to your opinion.

Quote:
And it doesn't matter whether other people noticed she wasn't wearing panties, because Kazuma *was waving around her panties and screaming about how excited he was that he got them in public.*

The guy first time ever used magic in new world and it actually worked. On top of that, he just won a bet that was stacked against him. He very well could be glad about it and express it.

A side note, the idea that Chris, experienced tief, was not aware of the possibilty and prepared for it, is a setup for the joke.

Quote:
If he kept it quiet and just used the situation to negotiate with her and maybe get an apology out of her, it would've been one thing, but he chose to loudly publicly humiliate her. That was absolutely disgusting, and it turned me off the show for a while.

Publicly you say? They specifically left the guild building and went to a secluded street to avoid attention. The entire incident lasts about 4 minutes, in all this time there is no any public, just them and Darkness. Omnipresent wizard girl was added there retroactively as a joke.

This particular wizard is in most crowd shots. She witnessed every single battle in front of the city gates and well aware about role Kizuna played in them. Her desire to see him hanging is bizzare. I suppose her understanding of tit-for-tat matches yours. I also think hers is just a part of running joke.

Regarding disgusting - we are looking at the product of a vastly different culture. Personally I intend to cut Japan lots and lots of slacks even though I generaly consider anime "not safe for children" until proven otherwise. I am kinda glad it is not very popular in my country despite personal inconvenience. Japan is a democracy, one of the best in fact. It is up to them to fix their (as percieved by us) kinks. Or to leave them be. There are moments in anime that irk me, they definitely wouldn't turn me from gem like Konosuba for a second. Nothing of it is real.

Quote:
Good intentions matter, and the only person who suffered was himself.

Well, in LN she broke a leg. Which, I think, still changes nothing because the idea was to save her from death.

Quote:
Aqua rubbing it in that Kazuma didn't actually save anyone was more cruel than funny.

I suspect we are looking at one of the mentioned kinks here.

Quote:
He tends to lean on the jerky, selfish side, but he's generally a decent person when it counts.

Well, agree to disagree. I started reading LNs, they are naturally better at describing thought process behind actions and I think he is a decent human being. Again, taking into account that a) our ethics is not absolute and not necessarily applicable to artificial medieval society or modern Japan and b) comedy about "all good people" just doesn't work.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
He tends to lean on the jerky, selfish side, but he's generally a decent person when it counts. Hey, he tried to save the girls from becoming frog chow this ep!

And I think it is funny that he would go from being quite invested to protect them whilst they are in danger, and then sacrifice any sense of chivalry over order in taking a bath. You could argue out of him seeing Megumin as more than some fragile thing that could not handle it more than he would. A little bit like how that cliché hero guy tried to argue that Aqua needed to be treated a certain way, but it was more annoying than actually respectful.

He does go a bit over the top at times in being perverse that it crosses a line, but he has to have something that fits him in as part of the team of idiots. The OVA more than anything showed Kazuma allowed to go as off the rails as the girls might. But the spreading of rumours about him, not letting him get away with anything, or even things not even things his fault, makes it funny. Well really the characters rarely get away with anything.

Oh, and I get the feeling that the so-called cat is more than meets the eye, it is okay with Kazuma, hates Aqua and also seems fond of Wiz. Has me thinking that it might be some sort of evil creature.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Oh, and I get the feeling that the so-called cat is more than meets the eye, it is okay with Kazuma, hates Aqua and also seems fond of Wiz. Has me thinking that it might be some sort of evil creature.

Definite possibility, although I actually think it would be funnier if it was just an ordinary cat who didn't like Aqua.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Definite possibility, although I actually think it would be funnier if it was just an ordinary cat who didn't like Aqua.

Honestly, until the scene in Wiz's shop, I thought Yunyun WAS Chomusuke. Smile
GarethXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
just passing by, but nobody seems to comment on aqua shoplifting.
Ambulator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode three was the first one I thought was fully up to the standard set the previous season.

Did anyone else notice that Megumin's magic staff lost the baubles it gained when she last upgraded it? I suppose they were too hard to draw on a continuing basis.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I actually think these episodes are funnier because of Darkness absence. She's very very one note with her masochism, something I never once found humorous, while the other members of the group have wider personalities that make for very entertaining interactions amongst each other.

I ask myself, what would Darkness be doing or even saying these past two episodes? Just asking to be beat, most likely.

If she never came back, I wouldn't mind, honestly. But that's just me.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
Aqua will always find a moment to use natures beauty.

I wonder how many episode Darkness will be trying on clothes for?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
Lets be fair, Chris is the one who was spreading rumours of Kazuma. And their might be something ironically funny in a thief being randomly victimised. And he kind of deserves the rumors put onto him. That one guy was kind of taking it too far and was getting the brunt of the waitresses.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
For me, the premier joke of the eppie was the look of horror on Kazuma's face when he discovers that Aqua can see perfectly in the dark and wonders what she may have seen when he was ... "rustling" ... around at night in their shared room. The look of relief when he finds out she would just turn her back was classic.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
NPC wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I don't think humiliating a woman in public through sexual harassment is tit-for-tat for attempted robbery.

And you are, indeed, right. Tit-for-tat for attempted robbery in medieval times would be death. Horrible, likely slow, and very very painful. Does it mean that "humiliating in public" in your opinion is worse then "horrible, likely slow, and very very painful, death"? Well, I suppose you are entitled to your opinion.

Quote:
And it doesn't matter whether other people noticed she wasn't wearing panties, because Kazuma *was waving around her panties and screaming about how excited he was that he got them in public.*

The guy first time ever used magic in new world and it actually worked. On top of that, he just won a bet that was stacked against him. He very well could be glad about it and express it.

A side note, the idea that Chris, experienced tief, was not aware of the possibilty and prepared for it, is a setup for the joke.

Quote:
If he kept it quiet and just used the situation to negotiate with her and maybe get an apology out of her, it would've been one thing, but he chose to loudly publicly humiliate her. That was absolutely disgusting, and it turned me off the show for a while.

Publicly you say? They specifically left the guild building and went to a secluded street to avoid attention. The entire incident lasts about 4 minutes, in all this time there is no any public, just them and Darkness. Omnipresent wizard girl was added there retroactively as a joke.

This particular wizard is in most crowd shots. She witnessed every single battle in front of the city gates and well aware about role Kizuna played in them. Her desire to see him hanging is bizzare. I suppose her understanding of tit-for-tat matches yours. I also think hers is just a part of running joke.

Regarding disgusting - we are looking at the product of a vastly different culture. Personally I intend to cut Japan lots and lots of slacks even though I generaly consider anime "not safe for children" until proven otherwise. I am kinda glad it is not very popular in my country despite personal inconvenience. Japan is a democracy, one of the best in fact. It is up to them to fix their (as percieved by us) kinks. Or to leave them be. There are moments in anime that irk me, they definitely wouldn't turn me from gem like Konosuba for a second. Nothing of it is real.

Quote:
Aqua rubbing it in that Kazuma didn't actually save anyone was more cruel than funny.

I suspect we are looking at one of the mentioned kinks here.

So you agree that Aqua taunting Kazuma was more cruel than funny, but you don't agree that Kazuma stealing a woman's underwear, then waving it around and bragging about it while she becomes more and more humiliated, is a personal violation that could be more upsetting to her than her stealing Kazuma's money would be upsetting to Kazuma? You have a lot of reasons why Kazuma's actions weren't that bad--that the alternative punishment might be a slow, painful death (huh? That's not equivalent, either! Even in the actual middle ages, they had lesser punishments than the death penalty!), that it wasn't public enough to be humiliating (even though she was obviously humiliated), that she deserved it, and that this kind of behavior is more tolerated in Japan, so it wasn't meant to be upsetting...

I've had money stolen from me. It's upsetting emotionally, a loss financially, and feels like a personal violation, to be sure. But being sexually humiliated by a member of the opposite sex in front of strangers (even just a couple of strangers) would definitely be a more traumatizing experience for most people. Imagine the scene had been reversed, that Kazuma had been pantsed and the girls stood there laughing at him while his face got redder and redder. No amount of "but its ok in a medieval setting!" Or "its culturally acceptable humor in modern day Japan" would take away from the cruelty of that scene to someone who's sensitive to it (either because they've experienced something similar themselves, or because it's their worst nightmare).
Quoque tu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Ambulator wrote:

Did anyone else notice that Megumin's magic staff lost the baubles it gained when she last upgraded it? I suppose they were too hard to draw on a continuing basis.

You should rewatch the ending of the first episode after the trial. All the team's belongings have been confiscated until they repay their debts. That included Megumin's upgraded staff.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Imagine the scene had been reversed, that Kazuma had been pantsed and the girls stood there laughing at him while his face got redder and redder. No amount of "but its ok in a medieval setting!" Or "its culturally acceptable humor in modern day Japan" would take away from the cruelty of that scene to someone who's sensitive to it (either because they've experienced something similar themselves, or because it's their worst nightmare).

Oh, I don't dispute that it's cruel, but it's still funny (and would be in the reverse situation, too). That Kazuma is being an ass about it is art of the joke, too. This series has always trafficked in making cruel fun of its characters; in fact, it showed much more sympathy towards the lich in this most recent episode than to any of its recurring cast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13