• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Winter 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

The mix of choices in the classic reviews poll was unexplained and kind of inexplicable… my hypothesis is that the reviewers were asked to send in 5-10 nominees each, some of which we can trace back to individual reviewers (I'd guess that only Theron remembers Please Teacher! and Please Twins!, while Nick probably pushed for Bakemonogatari, and might be the one who put ef - A Tale Of Memories in the ring, since he recently started covering it on his own site via Patreon support).

Dude this was at the top of the survey

the text i put on top of the classic streaming survey wrote:

So a couple seasons ago we experimented with “Daily Streaming Classic”, reviews of classic anime titles that would run alongside our daily coverage of the current anime season. I really enjoyed Nick’s reviews of Paranoia Agent, but I made a pretty dumb mistake in selecting that show for review; it was out-of-print on DVD and not available streaming anywhere. Even though the show aired on Cartoon Network and stray DVDs were around, it still meant people really couldn’t watch along. That was dumb.

So what we’ve assembled here is a big list of titles that are available streaming free on Crunchyroll and Funimation, so everyone can follow along (at least, if the gods of region locking are with you this day and these shows are also available free in your territory).

We’ve also left off some pretty big names. Cowboy Bebop, Kill la Kill, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, Madoka Magica and Trigun have been omitted because we’re pretty sure those would win the poll in a landslide and honestly, we don’t really feel like we need to revisit any of those at the moment.

Did you scroll past that or something?
Random Name

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
So much Hand Shakers hate. Although if I remember correctly the people posting seem to be the same people determined to hate the show since the first preview. As I have yet to see the first episode hard for me to defend. I was looking forward so heres to hoping there hate is unwarrented.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
I was looking forward so heres to hoping there hate is unwarrented.

The CG is so bad that it gave me a headache, and several reviewers reportedly got motion sickness. This is not your average "bad show" here.
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
As much as Rewrite anime wasn't as good as I was expecting, I was hoping to see the second season reviewed here Sad
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I actually rather enjoyed the first episode of the second season of Rewrite, especially when compared with the first season. But there probably aren't many left who are still following it because the first season was rather sub-par for a Key VN adaptation.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Bakemonogatari got picked as the Classic Streaming series? The one that doesn't have full streaming rights due to the last few being OVAs? Again... like Paranoia Agent... it's not good for this kind of review.

"Hey, here's an old show that's not streaming."
"Well, that could have worked better. So here's one that's only partially... not... streaming."

Quote:
So what we’ve assembled here is a big list of titles that are available streaming free on Crunchyroll and Funimation, so everyone can follow along (at least, if the gods of region locking are with you this day and these shows are also available free in your territory).

So you mean this was done on purpose to simulate the experience of not being able to finish the series as it first aired? Or it was just added without considering what's actually available for viewing?

What was number two?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Dude this was at the top of the survey
[...]
Did you scroll past that or something?

Yes, I read that, and no I'm not trying to make a big deal of it or anything, it just seemed like the list came from some sort of more deliberate filtering process, because you clearly aren't going to put every show from the pre-weekly-reviews era that's available streaming in this poll (Funimation.com alone would have hundreds of shows that would qualify). So, I just thought it was interesting to speculate on the process. Obviously, it's fine; people were eager to vote, and Bakemonogatari is totally the kind of thing that would benefit from episodic coverage, and has been seen by enough people that hopefully it'll do well for the site.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I actually rather enjoyed the first episode of the second season of Rewrite, especially when compared with the first season. But there probably aren't many left who are still following it because the first season was rather sub-par for a Key VN adaptation.

I liked the second season's first episode too, and it seems to be doing better than the first season ratings wise elsewhere. But yeah, there is also a large drop in viewers from what I can gather on other sites, though that is not surprising given how the first is regarded. I think it would have done better in the review poll had it aired earlier but even then I'm not sure it would have crossed the line into coverage. I'm fine with Theron just doing a review after it's done.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Theron has been spared a second season of Rewrite, proving the readers are generous and merciful souls. Also suggests that Key/Visual Art's is something a spent force here, if their latest VN adaptation can't make the cut in such a weak season.

Enh, I wouldn't have minded doing it, as I wasn't as down on the first season as a lot of people were. I'm interested enough to see where it's going that I'll probably still watch it anyway and do a summary review at the end of the season.

I'm not surprised that it didn't get voted in, though, given how negative other opinions were of it.

It would have served the same important service your previous reviews provided. A reminder of what the he!! happened the previous week. I have never seen a show so aggressively forgettable as Rewrite. The previous week could have ended on a precarious cliffhanger (as they sometimes did) but when the next episode showed on my queue and I started it up I'd be left wondering... "wait, what's going on? What are they doing?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Random Name

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

The CG is so bad that it gave me a headache, and several reviewers reportedly got motion sickness. This is not your average "bad show" here.

Well thats surprising I did not know this was an issue I thought K was pretty good and I thought it would be pretty similar. Ill just have to remain an optimist until that day my hopes are shattered.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Well thats surprising I did not know this was an issue I thought K was pretty good and I thought it would be pretty similar. Ill just have to remain an optimist until that day my hopes are shattered.

One of the issues is that while K used some of the techniques to great effect, Hand Shakers both took it to an excessive degree and did it without any artistic sensibility, especially with camera motion.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
I thought K was pretty good and I thought it would be pretty similar.

That's what everybody thought. We were wrong. Just go watch it yourself and judge the show instead of us. Smile

Actually, I'll say again that this isn't quite "hate watching" so much as "Shocked watching," and I'm glad to see it getting reviewed. There's usually a lot of moaning and whining and arguing in the thread for the streaming review announcements, but I've laughed my head off at this one, because HS's inclusion seems to have put people in a good mood. I just hope the series can maintain its amazing level of wtf. Very Happy

Now for the whining part, I'm sad to see both Trickster and All Out get the axe. Anyway, looks like I'll be watching Chaos;Child after all. I tried twice to get through HEAd, but both times I couldn't get past 4 episodes before it induced amnesia and I forgot about it, so I figured this was a pass. But with Anne's competent hand to lead me through Child, I might make it. Might even be motivated to try HEAd a 3rd time, but I need to catch up on IBOrphans first.

Here's to the new season!
Random Name

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Random Name wrote:
I thought K was pretty good and I thought it would be pretty similar.

That's what everybody thought. We were wrong. Just go watch it yourself and judge the show instead of us. Smile

Im not judging anyone...I am just trying to hold onto a thread of hope that those who are complaining were going to hate no matter the quality of the show. Definitely one of my most anticipated shows for the winter so kind just wished somone was going to tell me how great it was (Lies are ok) =D. Also I will be unable to watch it for a while so thats why I am asking here.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Bakemonogatari got picked as the Classic Streaming series? The one that doesn't have full streaming rights due to the last few being OVAs? Again... like Paranoia Agent... it's not good for this kind of review.

I don't want to be this negative, but I am afraid the reviews for Bakemonogatari are not going to have a lot of traffic. I am surprised that after the fiasco with Paranoia Agent no one at ANN's editorial department noticed that not all 15 episodes of Bakemonogatari are streaming.

I love Bakemonogatari and want more fans to discover it, but reviewing only 12 episodes of it will be a disservice to this amazing show.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

One of the issues is that while K used some of the techniques to great effect, Hand Shakers both took it to an excessive degree and did it without any artistic sensibility, especially with camera motion.

To be fair, hand shocker is trying to have scene be more dynamic, even simple conversation have camera movement and more than just pan shot. I think it's commendable to try and make scene more dynamic, but they clearly have nowhere near the talent or resource to pull it off...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7