• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
. I await angry Tenchi fans to lynch me for liking the least Tenchi-like of the franchise the most.

BROSKI.

This is Anime News Network, not MAL. Anime hyper

I'm glad you enjoyed something and had a nice Christmas because of it. (o3o)b

Wait! How do you know I had a nice Christmas...? It's almost like... I TALKED TO YOU OUTSIDE OF THE FORUM!? No way! I feel stalked! Help!

Razz

In other news, I've also rewatched Dragonball Z: Resurrection F. I still can't get over how dumb it is that Freeza is so powerful simply from training a little. I mean. it would make as much sense if the Bear Thug from early on in Dragonball showed up and was stronger than Majin Buu. This, and Goku nearly being killed by a god damn Laser Gun were so stupid that I punched the wall when watching it.

Plot aside, the action was decent, the characters were true to form, and Whis training Goku and Vegeta is an interesting set up. Hell, I think I'd have preferred the movie be entirely about that. Freeza coming back to life is nothing short of fanservice. He only came back because he's... well, the villain that most people think of when they think Dragonball. But plot-wise, wouldn't Cell or Buu make more sense? Cell could get that powerful because he has saiyan DNA in him. What if he used that to unlock some sort of God form? That'd be pretty interesting and would make sense. :\ Ah well.

I think a decent rating is more than justified. It didn't really change much in the franchise and made little sense, but the fanservice was nice. I liked seeing Master Roshi get in on the action. Bu-

OH CRAP! I FORGOT THE THING THAT BOTHERED ME MOST! One of Freeza's top henchmen is able to give Piccolo a tough fight. WHAT!? No, no, no. Piccolo is way stronger than Freeza was before being brought back. For this guy to even TOUCH Piccolo means that he's stronger than Freeza back then and Androids 17 and 18. This is dumb.

Sorry. Power Level consistency is an important part of writing a shounen anime/manga. But anyway... yeah. It was a decent film, but I don't think I'd rewatch it again nearly as much as its far superior predecessor, Battle of Gods.
peter a

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to be stupid what's MAL ?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
MyAnimeList - it's a site that, among other things, let's you keep track of what you have/are watching.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
MyAnimeList - it's a site that, among other things, let's you keep track of what you have/are watching.

^ Yes.

But there are also forums there and people are less than.....polite, shall we say? Rolling Eyes
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote

Be that as it may, there is no requirement to use MAL as anything beyond a personal database. Plenty of people—including many regulars here—engage with their website on this basis only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Be that as it may, there is no requirement to use MAL as anything beyond a personal database. Plenty of people—including many regulars here—engage with their website on this basis only.

Count me as one of those. Though one feature MAL does have which ca help you avoid the more the general mess in their forums is you can create groups there. Much like Facebook for example. So you can create a group and have nice discussions with just a smaller amount of people as opposed to using the general forums there. Their general forums are also very large and I find not very user friendly in terms of locating discussions. I find when forums become too large with too many sections they become cumbersome. That's just a personal taste though.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I felt like I was 15 years old again when I tried to get into MAL, the feeling of youthful enthusiasm vanished after a few days there though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Yes, I know. Anime hyper I have an account there too.

It is actually a pretty useful site, be it for keeping track of episodes watched, or characters, or seiyuu or small images.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I use it largely to look up characters because there is little chance I can keep up with all of them in anime, pictures next to the character names and actor names is quite useful, and in shows that I am one of the few watching I check out the forums of particular series to gage reactions. I probably should make an account and put in all the shows I have watched, but I already keep track of a lot of them via ANN's list.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
This is what I finished recently.

Noragami Season 1 - I just finishing watching Noragami and would probably finish it a week ago if it was not for my busy work schedule. I enjoy Noragami and I can't wait to watch season 2.

The show had a good mix of action and comedy. The humor was well done and it give me a good laugh. This anime does have similarities to other Supernatural theme anime like 3x3 Eyes, Bleach, Shaman King, Karas, Ushio & Tora and Yu Yu Hakusho. Unlike Bleach, at least Noragami had an interesting plot and fights don't drag. The animation and music also good too.

What I also enjoy in Noragami was the characters and how they are all likeable. I enjoy the personalities that the characters and how they all grow along with the show. Funimation did a good job on the dub and the voices work pretty well. I also decided to check out the show sub and the Japanese voices are good too. I recommended to check it out both sub and dub.

My biggest issue with the show is the underwhelming bad guys. Our main villain didn't show up until the last few episodes of the show and I felt like they could have add more build up to him. Not to mention I wish we would have learn more about the Phantoms instead of them being just a typical "Monster of the Week" creatures. Overall I thought Noragami was a fun show with funny humor, good action and likeable characters. I would recommend this anime for fans that enjoy supernatural theme anime with both action and comedy. Grade: B

Joker: Marginal City - Pretty obscure anime from the early 1990's. I wanted to check this anime out since I always like anime from this era and they are the type of anime that I enjoy growing up. This anime was alright and could have been better. The music was good, the action was enjoyable and the soundtrack was awesome. The animation is good for its time. However I find the story pretty weak and the main character to be completely one-dimensional. The main villain was not that all interesting and Joker was probably the best character in the anime.

I also could not help to notice that this anime feels like X-Men meets AD Police since I do notice many similarities between the two when watching this anime. The voice acting is pretty good (This anime has no dub) since you did had some great voice actors that are industry veterans who are active to this day.

From what I've seen that this anime is based on a manga and this anime was meant to start an on going OVA series. I would like to check out the manga out day. Overall, Joker: Marginal City is average at best and I would only recommend this anime to hardcore anime fans of obscure old school anime. Grade: C

louis6578 wrote:
But plot-wise, wouldn't Cell or Buu make more sense?

Buu was already reborn as Uub. I don't think Buu being brought back would be possible.

Last edited by Spawn29 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:02 am Reply with quote
Just retcon it or have Buu be reincarnated after his movie death. Pretty easy to sweep under the rug.
peter a

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I enjoy Noragami and I can't wait to watch season 2.

At the end of Noragami Aragoto the new villain comes out of the woodwork saying I was the master manipulator, Noragami Aragoto was shown at the end of 2015 so sounds like they may be a season 3.

-----

I am on Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 Episode 13 and Claymore Episode 21.

I had to give Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 a rest for a while for it was getting a little hard going,
( it`s like chewing gum after a while it starts to lose its flavour, but you just can`t stop chewing ) , So started watching Claymore and almost up to what I can imagine is the big boss flight and hopefully the conclusion.

Oh well may be not after all, yet another show which ends on season 1 without a conclusion.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
After watching a bunch of Full Moon Wo Sagashite at the request of a good friend, I realized something. I was originally doing this thing where I went on the ANN encyclopedia, listed the anime in chronological order, and scrolled down to watch each one as it appeared on my to-watch list. I got through the 60's and 70's, even finishing a few longer ones like the UC Gundam TV shows and Fist of the North Star. Overall, I was pretty tolerant of the changes between then and now and even found a few amazing gems, such as Lupin the 3rd, Otaku no Video, Space Pirate Captain Harlock, and ESPECIALLY Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. This was a great time for me.

After getting through half of Full Moon, I asked myself "Why did I take a break from my great, unbiased method of clearing my To Watch list? It was so simple and effective! You know what? Lets get back to that!" Then... I remembered the anime I was stuck on.

Fushigi Yuugi.

This juvenile piece of garbage that panders to little girls and teaches them that their dreams will come true REGARDLESS of whether or not they deserve it by improving themselves, teaching them to be total brats since that will get them their way rather than giving them an engrossing narrative to enhance their understanding of the world, truly boggles me.

I had not heard of it until I watched JesuOtaku's Top 20 Deliciously Evil Villains list, and even though our dear friend Jacob warned me that Fushigi Yuugi wasn't good despite having a great villain, I decided to watch it anyway. After all, Speed Grapher's villain, Choji Suitengu, was on that list too, and Speed Grapher was a pretty bad show that I found wholly entertaining, both due to the guilty pleasure of EDGE that got me through my hatewatch of Future Diary, and because the main character and main villain were genuinely great characters. The episode with Suitengu's backstory was outstanding despite the show's own flaws, and his lines about how money rules the world were badass and true even in today's world. My favorite was when he was confronted by a little kid whose dad he just killed for not paying him the right amount. "If you want my life, I suggest you make a lot of money and come buy it from me." OOOOH!

Quite frankly, when I started Fushigi Yuugi, it was standard and harmless enough. Miaka was a bit TOO annoying at the start, but I figured it was par for the course. When she was surrounded by guys, I figured "Huh, this is gonna be like a reverse version of Tenchi Muyo? They've even got royalty involved. I bet this'll be entertaining." Screw you, six months ago me! You're wrong. You should have backed out while you could. Or I say that but...

no. My obsession with clearing my list won't let me stop what I started. If I skipped Fushigi Yuugi, I'd keep looking back and thinking "Wasn't I supposed to watch that one?" The best thing I can do is just... suffer through the second half and hope that Miaka gets horribly tortured, the rest of her harem dies for having such poor taste (besides Nuriko), and Yui gets skinned alive for being such an awful take on the "Friend turned enemy" cliche. By the way, that's one of my favorite cliches in fiction when it's done well. Guts and Griffith are two of the best characters in anime/manga, so to see Fushigi Yuugi try something like that and totally fail is a special kind of cringe to me.

The whole time I'm watching, after I get over how STUPID the motive of Yui is to begin with, the thought that repeats in my head is "she's gonna regret this and decide to stop causing them trouble, only to realize that it's too late and the bad guy no longer needs to manipulate her at this stage in the game." SO FREAKING UNPREDICTABLE! And you know what? Maybe this obvious twist would be fine... if this anime weren't so GOD DAMN LONG! Every... episode does what should be done in five minutes of an episode. It stretches its plot so thin that barely anything happens each episode. AND THIS IS COMING FROM A GUY WHO PUTS UP WITH MODERN DAY, TOEI ANIMATION PADDED, POORLY ADAPTED FROM A BRILLIANT MANGA, ONE PIECE!

How does it achieve this "feat" of barely getting anything done? That's easy! Lets stop being biased for a moment and leave our feelings about how good or bad the story is at the door for a moment. This is a story about Miaka, her lover Tamahome, and her best friend Yui. Miaka is the priestess of Suzaku, granting her the power to summon Suzaku into the world with her guardian(s) help. Through certain circumstances, her guardian and her fall in love, but her best friend Yui, who is bitter at Miaka for having it so good, wants Tamahome to spite Miaka. Yui turns out to be the priestess of Seiryuu, the opposing faction of the Suzaku side of things, and is convinced by Nakago to join them in taking down the Suzaku faction.

That is the plot. Those are the characters who matter. Miaka is our protagonist. Tamahome is the love interest (and the character who actually does anything to advance the plot), Yui is the arch-enemy to Miaka that she wants to save from herself, and Nakago is the antagonist who uses Yui and Miaka's strained friendship to manipulate Yui. Did you get that? Yeah. Sounds like it could be a pretty good 13 episode anime, right?

SO WHY ARE THERE SO MANY CHARACTERS BESIDES THESE FOUR!? They do NOTHING except when the writer contrives them into importance. To put it simply, THE EMPEROR OF THE COUNTRY never does anything useful and isn't interesting in the slightest. You'd think getting to pal around with that guy would be a pretty big deal! Everyone else, yes, even Nuriko, the only good character, is equally expendable. Just tweak the plot a bit from "Miaka needs the Suzaku 7" to "Miaka needs the Suzaku warrior, Tamahome."

Some anime are 13 episodes long. This is an ideal length in my opinion as it gives a story enough time to be told without stretching things out too much. Four hours, like an epic movie or something. Some anime are 24-26 episodes long. This is alright for certain anime. After all, not all stories have few enough plot points that they can be told in just 13 episodes. Some anime... are 52 episodes long. This type of anime requires a lot of thought and effort to pull off, as a story this epic with this many correlating plot points needs to be planned out and paced just right with plot developments happening every episode to keep the viewer engaged.

...OR you could do what Fushigi Yuugi did, which is take a 24 episode anime and then artificially lengthen it by cramming in as much filler as possible!

It doesn't help that this show thinks that it can make me laugh by making everyone go horribly chibified and act like caricatures of themselves. I swear, this anime is almost as bad as Your Lie in April at comedy. I rarely find overreactions and turning super-deformed as the entirety of the joke funny in anime. The anime that make me laugh most are things like Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu, where everything the characters do, while outrageous and insane... still feels in-character. In Fushigi Yuugi, there are two sets of the same characters. Character A when no comedy is going on is a somewhat realistic human while Character A during a... -nearly vomits while trying to say it- "funny moment" is an insensitive jerk who smashes his friends heads into glass coffee tables and then blames the character who was just assaulted by claiming that they need to "be more careful." You know, the kind of dumb slapstick that Slayers would often do. I'm not a big fan of Slayers, but it at least made sure that the characters were consistent.

And I swear to god... if ANYONE tries to justify this show's flaws by telling me "It's just a show made for little girls" my body is just gonna move on its own to punch them in the face. I probably won't even have realized what happened. It'll just feel so natural, like breathing or eating.

This anime is the anime equivalent of TWILIGHT. And I never thought I'd say that about anything but Future Diary and School Days. At least Future Diary was entertaining in its overly edgy portrayal of mankind, and School Days' ending was cathartic enough that I thought it was worth it. Then again it probably helps that it was 12 episodes long... not FIFTY-TWO!!!!

And yet... I have 26 episodes to go. God help me...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
How does it achieve this "feat" of barely getting anything done? That's easy! Lets stop being biased for a moment and leave our feelings about how good or bad the story is at the door for a moment. This is a story about Miaka, her lover Tamahome, and her best friend Yui. Miaka is the priestess of Suzaku, granting her the power to summon Suzaku into the world with her guardian(s) help. Through certain circumstances, her guardian and her fall in love, but her best friend Yui, who is bitter at Miaka for having it so good, wants Tamahome to spite Miaka. Yui turns out to be the priestess of Seiryuu, the opposing faction of the Suzaku side of things, and is convinced by Nakago to join them in taking down the Suzaku faction.

That is the plot. Those are the characters who matter. Miaka is our protagonist. Tamahome is the love interest (and the character who actually does anything to advance the plot), Yui is the arch-enemy to Miaka that she wants to save from herself, and Nakago is the antagonist who uses Yui and Miaka's strained friendship to manipulate Yui. Did you get that? Yeah. Sounds like it could be a pretty good 13 episode anime, right?

SO WHY ARE THERE SO MANY CHARACTERS BESIDES THESE FOUR!? They do NOTHING except when the writer contrives them into importance. To put it simply, THE EMPEROR OF THE COUNTRY never does anything useful and isn't interesting in the slightest. You'd think getting to pal around with that guy would be a pretty big deal! Everyone else, yes, even Nuriko, the only good character, is equally expendable. Just tweak the plot a bit from "Miaka needs the Suzaku 7" to "Miaka needs the Suzaku warrior, Tamahome."

Sorry but that's not really the plot; The world Miaka travelled to is not an alternate history or a fantasy world, she's really in a historical fantasy novel. If you know historical fantasy novels, two things they all have in common are a glacial speed plot and loads of characters. This would not work in a 13 episode series as you'd lose the sense of scale you get from certain fantasy epics. If you did the 13 episode thing, you may as well do a straight fantasy story.

But then you lose the story of star crossed lovers, teenage girl Miaka and fictional character Tamahome.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
^

I politely disagree with you saying that what I described is NOT what the plot is. I mean, the only thing I might say you have a point about is the episode length. MAYBE 24 episodes is better than 13, but 52 is overbloated.

Sadly, there's no real way to shorten it to 24 episodes since it was based off a Manga. Leaving out any "crucial plot elements," such as random member of the Suzaku 7 confessing his completely baseless love to Miaka and being rejected because she herself has a completely baseless attachment for Tamahome, would have angered someone somewhere. Very few shows are praised for leaving out content from their source material, even when that content really didn't matter.

Maybe the next several episodes will make me eat my own words and praise the "dramatic buildup" of the first half of the series. Maybe...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 949 of 1063