• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Cliches

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Sango

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:17 pm Reply with quote
What cliches in anime do you love or hate?

The ones that tend to get on my nerves are:

1.In game shows, a character is new to to a game/sport and is a natural at it.

2. In Magic girl shows mainly, the main character has way more power than anyone else and sometimes the character is seem to be weaker than everybody else.

3. A character with a pathetic excuse for a significant other.
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:23 pm Reply with quote
1) That kids'll get stuff done in half the times it takes adults with twice the angst.

2) If a person happens to play an instrument, they tend to be good at anything the first try like say piloting a mobile suit.

3) If the bad guy in the third season would've showed up in the first season, the character would've been dead.

Just to name some off the top of my head. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Burner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:04 pm Reply with quote
badguys never win Crying or Very sad
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Poor bad guys........ Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EMY23-23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I hate happy endings.
spoiler[thats why I loved Evangelion and Akira so much (not as happy as the cliche endings)]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:39 pm Reply with quote
There should be an anime where the bad guy wins! Surprised
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Carol Maxwell wrote:
There should be an anime where the bad guy wins! :o

Well...

spoiler[Legend of Lemnear probably applies. :) It can't get much worse than "Brother is dead. Heroine looks just like she's about to win, and DIES HORRIBLY.. and now everyone and everything is dead, and so the big dragon thing starts gloating."

... and then she comes back to life..

As an up-swing, it happens so late in the story that it's almost as if it never really happened at all. Just let Lemnear get pierced through the heart, and wait a few seconds, then stop the movie. You'll feel better for it. Trust me.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagami no Kage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I tend to dislike some aspects of shoujo manga. (I love it, but I have a few pet peeves)

1. All the guys in the story instantly gravitate towards the main girl.

2. Recurring rape themes.

3. Too much angsting.
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Here's one cliched storyline that usually amuses me:

Unstoppable army/fleet (aka the enemy) comes from nowhere and attacks Earth/Japan. The defending forces get shredded by the enemy until they deploy one ship/robot (aka the good guys) built in secret and usually with alien/ancient technology.

The good guys take a colossal beating but still manage to fight. The units in the once unstoppable enemy forces take one hit and blow up. The battle ends when the good guys, after exausting their arsenal, use a powerful weapon that-- according to the tour guide on Episode 2--can only be used as a last resort.

Repeat ad nauseum until you get to 26 Episodes...
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:21 pm Reply with quote
In several Gundam shows, there always has to be a Char ripoff, right down to the mask.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Someone was bound to put this link up at some point: http://www.bright.net/~nyla/animelaw.html (though I'm sure most already have it bookmarked)

#11 - Law of Inherent Combustibility
Everything explodes. Everything.

First Corollary -

Anything that explodes bulges first.

Second Corollary -

Large cities are the most explosive substances known to human science. Tokyo in particular seems to be the most unstable of these cities, sometimes referred to as "The Matchstick City".
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:16 am Reply with quote
Ya, that's been up before, but it's still great.

If they managed to make an anime that didn't follow any of the laws posted there, I'd think that something was seriously wrong in animeland. Anime may have crazy stuff happening in it, but it wouldn't be anime without it. Smile
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:57 am Reply with quote
hmmmmm, let me think...

1) No matter if its sport, operating complex machinery, playing an instrument, if you are the main character you will be a natural talent for it...

2) "Oh no! The planet will explode in 5 seconds! We must flee!" and after 3-4 episodes that damn planet finally explodes...

3) IT usually takes only one person/machine/robot etc to take down a whole alien/enemy empire...
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:15 am Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
hmmmmm, let me think...

1) No matter if its sport, operating complex machinery, playing an instrument, if you are the main character you will be a natural talent for it...

2) "Oh no! The planet will explode in 5 seconds! We must flee!" and after 3-4 episodes that damn planet finally explodes...

Yes, I think spoiler[the one DragonBall Z series was like that with Freeza.]

Arkard wrote:
3) IT usually takes only one person/machine/robot etc to take down a whole alien/enemy empire...

Yeah, but before that, all the one person's buddies die before his eyes.
DCRavenX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of bored seeing the ditsy, just here to help fanboys with their wet dreams type characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4