• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion's Anno Criticizes In This Corner of the World's Heroine

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Hakajin wrote:
The description, along with Katabuchi's comment, kinda sell me on this movie. I definitely live in my head, am kind of complacent and aimless (although there are things I want to do, and it is true that I'm in a difficult situation right now). So... I think I'd be able to relate.

Sounds like me, too!
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
These headlines always make these things sound so much more serious than they ever actually are (hey, the Miyazaki one means we got two of 'em in a single day!). At worst this just sounds like friendly banter between colleagues.

#825565 wrote:
Oh wow, the guy that created Asuka and Mari said this.

I assume he was joking.

Last I checked Asuka did a lot. Even Mari, as pointless as she may be, doesn't ever waste time sitting on her ass doing nothing.

Last edited by Jayhosh on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
To Moyoco:

Please slap some sense into your overtly butthurt husband.
dcmc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
so..what actually Anno wants the protag to do?
&since this an adaptation,wouldn't that make it deviate from the source?
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
dcmc wrote:
Probably to get inside an EVA and started blasting em' alien. Joke aside, I believed Anno is simply kidding with his friend anyway. She actually were doing something, if one were to check the plot for this movie on Wikipedia and read it.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Katabuchi and Anno have opposing perspectives on the film adaptation and its protagonist, likely because one man creates action-packed science fiction and the other directed and wrote this introspective view of one woman's day-to-day life.

Uh, not only did Katabuchi direct Black Lagoon, which while it gets mired in philosophy now and then towards the end is definitely 'action-packed', he also didn't write the To All Corners Of The World manga on which his new film is based.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
Both Katabuchi and Anno are right. How can this happen? Because they have opposite views of what a story should consist of.

This banter is actually the manifestation of the since-forever battle between action series lovers and peaceful series lovers. The first are always in a hurry to get up, move on, do something, and the second just want to stop for awhile, admire and appreciate the view. It dosen't mean that you can't be both depending on your mood at the time, but fundamentally, you'll find your tastes leaning mainly to one side. For example, I am definitely an action lover. Anno is too, obviously, because during Evangelion he just keep screeching to his protagonist Shinji "Get in the [expletive] robot and DO SOMETHING!"

A mistake I see in lots of the comments here is: "What exactly could she do? Get in a [expletive] robot?" Well do you spend your time in this life doing absolutely nothing, just waiting to get in a robot? Do you never have conflicts with anyone? Do you never try to achieve anything and work towards a goal? Do you not try to make friends, lovers etc.? There is a ton of things this woman could have done, but from the description I guess she did not in the movie. The whole point of the movie, from what I got, is just to show you her inner world. Thoughts, not actions. No plot. Being a slice-of-life series does not mean being a peaceful-nothing-happens series. Can you really blame people for not finding any appeal in this?

From a fellow action lover, who rejected completely the idea of peaceful-nothing-happens series, I have heard the opinion that movies are not paintings.They are not there for you to sit and watch and say "yes this looks beautiful/nice." They are a different art medium and their purpose is different. Movies are there to tell you a story. A story must have characters and plot, conflicts that drive both of them and a final catharsis in the end in order to get through their moral message. And I believe that this is a very concrete opinion, which I also share.

Bottom line. everyone should freely enjoy what they do enjoy, and in this "banter" I'm taking Anno's side.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
I don't think it is right to compare this to the statements Miyazaki makes. The guy who directed it was having a conversation with him and asked him what he thought, and he replied. There wasn't any commentary on media like with Miyazaki, it was just Annos opinion on the film.
Kyoshinhei
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
Well we know from every single one of Anno's works that he tends to favor very assertive women.
I haven't seen this movie but based on the description this character does indeed sound a bit too apathetic for his taste.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
That's hilarious coming from the guy who created Shinji "lying depressed in bed, listening to the same song over and over" Ikari--who I have no problem with. If the fate of the world rested on my ability to fight giant "Angels" in a giant robot, I'd probably do the same thing.

And if I were living in post-war Hiroshima, married to a guy I barely knew, I would escape to fantasy worlds of my own making, too. Heck, I'm not in that situation and I do that all the time (usually via anime). Very Happy
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
With what Hoppy800 said, Moyoco should also tell him that he must not run away from that common sense.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
@Chocoreto, new to art film I guess. Very Happy While 95% of movies are narratives about people doing stuff there are movies that are not. Anno's reaction reminds me of a hypothetical teenager who thinks all movies should be like The Avengers and is put to watch something directed by Bergman. Although Anno is well aware of art film (he directed a live action one in 2000).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Strangled like Naoko Akagi?

Sad this is coming from the same man who created Asuka, Rei, Mari, Misato, and Ritsuko
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:42 am Reply with quote
Hideaki Anno should be the one strangled. Evil or Very Mad First of all, he should look at his own works and come back in 100 years after he actually makes a decent anime.

Suzu was really nice and felt like a real person. She tried her best. I only read the manga (I don't know how annoying she is in the anime), but the manga was a good one, not perfect, but good.

Hideaki Anno on the other hand, has only been involved with mediocre anime in a mediocre studio. What Gainax did with Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou was too bad to be true, I couldn't believe my eyes and the "professionalism" of that studio. And FLCL, now those are characters that certainly do not deserve to be strangled. They should just explode and disappear. And the end of that cult anime, Evangelion, is obvious trash, coming from a studio that does not know what it is doing and just puts half cooked and whatever random stuff into the projects in order to finish them with the most lack of effort ever (thing repeated in Kare Kano 100 times worse).
AkaRed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki and Anno are old idiot they think higher of themself knowing what is best for anime and the way they look at otaku piss me off I won't shed one tears at their death.

Anno go hide yourself with your mediocre Evangeshit this anime is a disgrace and heresy to Mecha Genre. Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2