• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Brave Witches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pizza35

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:

Ground Neuroi are in both the movie and OVA episode 3. They're more vulnerable to conventional forces but it's still preferred to use land witches with treaded ground strikers and air to ground attack witches that carry anti-tank guns. Those are all heavily featured in the Africa manga. (something about the wide open areas making ground combat more effective than Europe, I think)

Thank you for the insight in anti-neuroi warfare Wink

This manga is lying around in my room, I should really read it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
The movie is the one animated part of the franchise that I haven't seen, which may be why I wasn't aware of the ground forces. Pretty sure I've seen the OVAs but I don't remember them from that.

And apologies one the Haruki vs. Hikari thing. Must be getting my series mixed up. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
apologies on the Haruki vs. Hikari thing. Must be getting my series mixed up. Embarassed

It's all good Cool

Today's review was much better, and I agree with it being the best thus far. It seems like next week Hikari will get a bit more involved, as it doesn't look like another character-themed episode.

Then again, the 7th episode in Strike Witches has always been that kind, if you catch my drift Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I appreciated the insights on the real life characters that Sasha and Nipa are based on. Thanks, Key!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
The Witches of Africa must use their magic to keep their skin from being sandblasted from the desert sands.
Zomb1e13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if they hide their shoes in their strikers?

I'm not being sarcastic but it really stood out this episode that they always seem to have their shoes on when not using their strikers yet season 1 and 2 of strike witches made a point of showing that they must fly barefoot.
Pizza35

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Zomb1e13 wrote:
they always seem to have their shoes on when not using their strikers

When did you see that? I remember them being barefoot whenever they take their striker unit off. They put their shoes next to their unit rack in the depot.

Also, no they are not supposed to be able to bring their shoes with them when they are flying.
Zomb1e13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Pizza35 wrote:
When did you see that? I remember them being barefoot whenever they take their striker unit off. They put their shoes next to their unit rack in the depot.

Also, no they are not supposed to be able to bring their shoes with them when they are flying.

Yes in strike witches they are barefoot however that does not seem to be the case with brave witches which is why I am confused.

In episode 6

spoiler[Sasha crashes about 15:14 and she is shown with shoes on while in the town.
Then about 19:50 when nipa-san blocks the artillery barrage her head is in sasha's lap and sasha is again with shoes on.]

Which really got me thinking in episode 4
spoiler[Hikari and two others got stranded during that blizzard however all 3 of them have shoes on the moment you see them without their strikers on.]

But in episode 3
spoiler[When Hikari is trying to climb the tower to claim the hat she is barefoot.]
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If initiating their magic power is what protects them from the cold, then why not be in that state all the time when outdoors?

Because it puts a drain on their magical powers, I'm guessing? However small that might be, when they are mandatory -- and the sole resource for battling Neuroi -- I'm guessing they're discouraged from wasting them idly.

As far as the Christmas festival aspect thing goes, I rather liked it. It was laid out as a pretty traditional thing, but the episode never beat us over the head with it or rolled out a lot of lame "if you do this and this, you'll be happy forever" cliches. I very rarely like anime Christmas episodes, so to me, this was one of the better ones. (On average, I mean,)
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She moons over a blonde British Witch (who I couldn't place)

She was only listed in the credits as "Britannia Witch". She could be one of few Witches already in canon without a previous character design, but even if that's not the case I really hope we see more of her.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
the adult grape juice thing isa meta joke, sicne those kind of series, due ot the age of the characters, don't/can't show them drinking; that's more of a amgazine editor thing than an actual law, afaik; since some other series poke fun at that, like a tank girls manga having an "absolutely grape juice" label hosddily pasted over the actual label of a bootle of wine and all the girls get drunk (though this one manga is published in a seinen magazine).
bassgs435

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
The series has been using CGI since episode 1. You can see it in both the OP and ED, too.

That, the BD's delay and that one episode that was delayed a few weeks ago show that SL just have too many productions going on.

They just finished Prisma Illya 3rei (easily Prisma's most action heavy season, Also, the first one to be 12 episodes instead of 10) and Ange Vierge last season. And besides BW, SL's confirmed productions (that I know of are): Chaos;Child, Masamune-kun's revenge (both for next season), the Prisma Illya movie, the anniversary project and Busou Shoujo Machiavelism. So, yep, SL are clearly being given too many projects, so it stands to reason some would suffer because of it.
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
A lot, if not most, of the scenes where you'd see the witches from a distance (up to semi-close) has been done in CG. This was done in the original two Strike Witches series too.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
A lot, if not most, of the scenes where you'd see the witches from a distance (up to semi-close) has been done in CG. This was done in the original two Strike Witches series too.

Never noticed it before... But it was really apparent this week as the characters were badly off-model and practically a decade back in appearance.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Was laughing so much when all three of their units started malfunctioning after the fight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5