• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Summer Wars [Hosoda Collection] BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Anime has always been more expensive than the mainstream Hollywood releases but this "special edition" booklet stuff is almost beyond chintzy!

That reminds me of how humorous I find it whenever I'm reading a press release for Aniplex's latest effort to make everyone aside from trust-fund otaku broke and they use the term "deluxe booklet" as a selling point for some cheap and flimsy printer paper pamphlet. We might as well call all those brochures at your local dentist's office "deluxe dental literature" while we're sugar-coating things.

Quote:
I mean for heaven's sake GKids is the company promoting Ghibli more often now and coordinating releases of films to theater that Disney had the home video licenses for!!! I'm not even speaking of Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, or other Ghibli licenses Disney passed on for the US market -- I'm speaking of Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke which Disney COULD be doing more with even now!!!

Well, to be fair, GKIDS are the ones who own all of the theatrical rights to the Ghibli library now, not Disney. So they couldn't do theatrical releases even if they wanted to. Though it could be argued that they could have retained said rights in the first place if they really wanted to, and likely passed them on to a more suitable licenser due to a, well, lack of overall interest.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Disney owns Marvel, the Star Wars franchise and Pixar. Ghibli is just chump change for them.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, for me time certainly hasn't been unkind to this movie, because I hated Summer Wars when I first saw it and I still hated it when I recently revisited it. Partially that might be because it's about two things I dislike (video games and big families). But I really found the central thread of the story, of people arriving at cooperation not through rational thought but by using the "old school tie", to be distasteful. I also didn't like a single one of the characters, who kept shoving their "loveable quirkyness" in my face.
Basically, my reaction to Summer wars perfectly mirrors that of Vyvyan to The Good Life : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bomygz1Ygkk
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
While this is probably my favorite of Hosada's films I've seen thus far (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a close second, followed by Wolf Children at a distant, distant third), I can fully admit to the movie's somewhat choppy plot. That, and until I read this review, I'd totally thought the users of Oz banning together to beat Love Machine was a reflection on how virtual bonds can connect us too, forming a kind of pseudo-family. That said, even with the realization of flaws I hadn't noticed before (Natsuki being totally dropped about midway through, the bizarre segregation of the men and women of the family), there's just something so utterly charming about Summer Wars that makes me pop in my disk every now and again. That, and Natsuki's family so strongly mirrors my own extended family (minus the badass Granny) that it's hard for me to not just really jive with these characters.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Summer Wars is one of my favorite Hosoda films just because it is similar to my favorite Digimon movie, The GOAT: Bokura no War Game!.

Monster Hunter wrote:
...is a rehash of the Digimon Movie's first part

First...part? It's a single movie. In what way is Summer Wars similar to Digimon Adventure aside from visuals?
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
I was never a big fan of this film just because it was basically the Digimon Movie, and I felt sad when my parents enjoyed this movie would complain about being dragged to the Digimon Movie.... Why one is more acceptable than the other confuses me.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:34 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

Monster Hunter wrote:
...is a rehash of the Digimon Movie's first part

First...part? It's a single movie. In what way is Summer Wars similar to Digimon Adventure aside from visuals?

In the U.S. release of the Digimon movie the first part was about the original digidestined fighting against Diaboromon then turning into Ominmon. The second part was the second digidestined fighting a corrupted digimon I am not sure. It has been years since I watched the movie. Looking into it now I see the movie combined three different movies into one. But I didn't know that then and I am nowhere big enough of a fan to know that now.

Now why did I call the virtual scenes a re-hash of the Digimon movie well lets see. A rogue digimon/A.I. virus goes around the internet causing mayhem around the internet/OZ. The heroes go after said digimon/A.I. virus in order to stop it in which they fail. The heroes/King Kazma when defeated by the bad guy are ridiculed by people on the internet for failing. The badguy then moves on to more dangerous motives and controls and sends nuclear missiles/a satellite at important locations which he later changes to the heroes house. They try again to take down the badguy powering up to more powerful forms and begin to get the upperhand though they are defeated again. This time in order to defeat them people from all around the world send emails to slow down/send their avatars to be used as a bet which in turn causes them to digivolve into Omnimon/gain a powerup from the guardians of Oz and they defeat the bad guy. The bad guy though near defeated holds on to the controls for the missiles/satellite and in a race against time is defeated by the heroes causing the missile/satellite to miss the heroes saving the day.

I mean you are totally right there is totally no way this is a re-hash of the Digimon movie with Diaboromon.

Saying all that I love the movie. All the real world stuff in the movie is amazing and is really where Hosoda shines as a director. The interactions between characters and the bonds they share are the heart and souls of his movies. The family here and the titular Boy and the Beast, sorry haven't seen his other movies which I plan to rectify, are what make the movies great in my opinion. You would have to be blind or willfully ignorant to not see that the virtual stuff is a complete re-hash of the Digimon movie.

P.S. I forget another point. When the heroes try again to defeat the badguy they almost defeat them but due to unforeseen outside interference where millions of emails flood Izzy's computer from people around the world slowing down the heroes/Natsuki's cousin takes all the ice out of the room causing the computers to overheat the villain defeats the heroes.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sadly, due to my huge love for Wolf Children, I suspect they are going to get my money on that one even if objectively I understand it's probably not worth it.

But as I am sure you can agree, Wolf Children deserves any sum of money we allot it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
While I did enjoy Summer Wars it was so familiar with Our War Game that is even I didn't know before hand that they had the same director I would have noticed right away from the aesthetic inside the net.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ GeorgeC - your criticisms of Funi's "special editions" are legitimate and well put. Sadly, due to my huge love for Wolf Children, I suspect they are going to get my money on that one even if objectively I understand it's probably not worth it. I'll stick to the regular editions of the other Hosada, though.

I am in the same boat. Wolf Children is my favorite of his films thus far and the only I would double dip for. I felt it had the most moving story and ending respectively. Plus it hold a slight special place for me as I saw it with my gf and some friends visiting at the Otakon showing of the dub world premiere a few years back. That was cool. They should've handed out tissues when you walked into the giant room they showed it in.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
Now why did I call the virtual scenes a re-hash of the Digimon movie well lets see. A rogue digimon/A.I. virus goes around the internet causing mayhem around the internet/OZ. The heroes go after said digimon/A.I. virus in order to stop it in which they fail. The heroes/King Kazma when defeated by the bad guy are ridiculed by people on the internet for failing. The badguy then moves on to more dangerous motives and controls and sends nuclear missiles/a satellite at important locations which he later changes to the heroes house. They try again to take down the badguy powering up to more powerful forms and begin to get the upperhand though they are defeated again. This time in order to defeat them people from all around the world send emails to slow down/send their avatars to be used as a bet which in turn causes them to digivolve into Omnimon/gain a powerup from the guardians of Oz and they defeat the bad guy. The bad guy though near defeated holds on to the controls for the missiles/satellite and in a race against time is defeated by the heroes causing the missile/satellite to miss the heroes saving the day.

It's not just that, some of the cinematography, direction and lines are exactly the same. Do check out my video if you haven't already.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Monster Hunter wrote:
...is a rehash of the Digimon Movie's first part...

Speaking of which, for those who haven't noticed the similarities yet, I made a video earlier this year comparing the two movies scene-for-scene.

Thank you for this! It kept bothering me the whole time I watched Summer Wars. It's not bad but I couldn't understand why it was being touted as such a phenomenal film when so much of its first act is the plot of the Digimon movie, and the second half kind of felt like a stretch to me.

I'm glad so many people adore this film but I'll never be one of them. It had gorgeous animation and I enjoyed Kazuma as a fighter character but aside from that I got nothing much from it, and nostalgia means I prefer Digimon's take on things over Summer Wars'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2