• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 to Run on Toonami Starting January

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
They should have gotten 00 or Age instead of this garbage. I need to wash out the shit fest that is iron blooded orphans.

The whole point is to retain the audience that tuned in for Iron Blooded Orphans.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Mind. Blown.
Shocked
Even this far along into IBO, I'm still amazed that Gundam is back on Toonami after Gundam Seed crashed & burned there a decade ago--prompting CN to never touch Gundam again with a ten-foot pole until IBO came along.

Even though I figured IBO was doing well, I definitely wasn't expecting another Gundam series this soon after its first season.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
redranger wrote:
They should have gotten 00 or Age instead of this garbage. I need to wash out the shit fest that is iron blooded orphans.

00 was aired on SyFy, they may still have the rights to it. And Age has no US release, let alone a dub, so there's no way they can air it at this point.

There's a dub for Age but it only aired in Malaysia and other places. The thing wasn't really that popular in Japan so they only limited it in certain markets.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
FYI, Toonami has updated the image with the correct date. See here

I honestly missed IBO, but I was told by a friend to watch it. I'm unlikely to watch this one as its said that RE:0096 is a continuation story. I haven't see any of the series related to it to really know what happens and why they happen.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

It would help if Gundam's MC's weren't so hell bent on killing everybody when ordered to.

Would you have rather Gundam main characters who kill people ala Kamille or Kira?

redranger wrote:

I'm confused isn't Age one of the more divisive Gundam series to come out?
ew121

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

It would help if Gundam's MC's weren't so hell bent on killing everybody when ordered to.

Would you have rather Gundam main characters who kill people ala Kamille or Kira?

Did you just compare Kamille with Kira?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:

Did you just compare Kamille with Kira?

No since neither kills people for the same exact reasons.
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
00 is hot garbage and Age sucks Twisted Evil
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen Unicorn at all; how accessible is this show going to be to people who aren't familiar with the UC storyline? The encyclopedia lists it as a sequel to Char's Counterattack, a movie which never came out in North America, which is in itself a sequel to two TV shows which never aired here. That's quite a hurdle, but good writing could still make it appealing to non-fans.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I haven't seen Unicorn at all; how accessible is this show going to be to people who aren't familiar with the UC storyline? The encyclopedia lists it as a sequel to Char's Counterattack, a movie which never came out in North America, which is in itself a sequel to two TV shows which never aired here. That's quite a hurdle, but good writing could still make it appealing to non-fans.

Well, at the very least, Char's Counterattack aired on Toonami back in 2002. Laughing

In all seriousness, the series does a good job standing on its own merits. Sure, there are a lot (and I mean a lot) of references to previous Gundam installments, but I remember showing the first Unicorn OVA - which is pretty much the same thing as the first three episodes of RE:0093 - to a friend who had never seen a single Gundam episode before, and she had absolutely no problem following the story.

All you really need to know about Gundam going in to Unicorn is that there were a series of huge wars between the humans living on Earth (the Federation) and a group space colonies in Earth's orbit (Zeon), during which both sides discovered that people born in space were more likely to develop strange psychic powers (Newtypes). Both the Federation and Zeon treated the Newtypes really badly, and lots of people died.

In the final battle, the Zeon leader (Char) decided that the best way to jump-start humanity's evolution/get over his dead girlfriend would be to wipe out all life on Earth by hitting it with a huge asteroid, but some weird mystical Newtype crap (the Axis Shock) happened during Char's final battle with the original Gundam's pilot, and the Earth was saved.

Three years later, humanity once again grows out of control, and must endeavor to regain its dignity...
Strike105

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Actually, the original Mobile Suit Gundam (with the sole exception of episode 15), Zeta Gundam, and Char's Counterattack were released in the US between 2001-2005.

In addition, one of the first Gundam products the US received was the Movie Trilogy for the original MSG (Although all releases since the initial 1998 VHS/DVD release have gone the sub-only route, completely doing away with the dub, which featured such things as a British Bright Noa, Gundam pronounced as "Gun-DAMN", and Steve Blum as Char/"Shah" Aznable), which is a much easier starting point, since it condenses 43 episodes into three decently paced films. It has some newer and better animation, and it changes a few minor story details, it does so without taking away anything from the overall story. Between the original series and its Movie Trilogy, neither one is really more canon than the other.

ZZ Gundam was not released in the US under Bandai Entertainment's label. However, once Daisuki came about, an official English subbed version of ZZ was one of the first shows put onto the site. Once Right Stuf took over Sunrise's distribution deal for Gundam in the US in late 2014, ZZ was also one of the first series they put out on DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2