• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
...Planetes [Why do people like it?]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrisgll2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Can somebody...anybody...please tell me why Planetes is even in stores. Why are people spending their hard earned money to buy the DVD's and manga.

I gave it a chance, I tried watching it, I even...borrowed it from my friend to look at it.........I just don't see what makes it so...so...good enough for people to like it. Just tell me what you guys think about planets...please!!

[EDIT: I assume you meant Planetes, and not Planets, so I fixed your spelling and de-capped your title. -TK]
Eruanna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Just because you dont like it dosnt mean someone else dosnt want to buy it.
There are plenty of anime available on the shelves I would never want to buy. Most of it actually. Usually, I only see one or two series in a store that actually pikes my interest. But that dosnt mean other people wouldnt want to buy them, and I never think "My word, why is this even in the stores, why would someone want to buy this?" The answer is simple: Taste varies. A LOT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I love Planetes, it's my second favorite anime. I like it because I'm a huge science fiction fan first of all, and Planetes is the best hard sci-fi series on the market next to Infinite Ryvius and the recently liscensed Moonlight Mile. It pays attention to real world physics, is believable as it stems from a potentially real problem, and takes place in a future that is entirely possible. Add to that it has everything else I like in a series, romance, drama, comedy, action, great characters, fantastic breathtaking visuals, nice animation, excellent musical score, great character development, and entertainimg storylines. Truly a masterpiece of a series in my view it just pushed all the right buttons for me.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Planetes is a great, great series. In fact, it's amongst my top 10 when it comes to my favorite anime. The attention to technical detail is superb, as is the premise, as it is brings to view a possible problem in the future in regards to space exploration. Plus, the visuals in this series are stunning, making it worth a watch for that alone. Not to mention it's storyline is top notch as well. If you're someone who knows where you want to go in life and likes a good sci-fi, this series is totally one that you should watch.

So, in a nutshell, that's why I love Planetes. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rhesian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Planetes is also a top 10 series for me. I'll quote from my post in the Top 10, Bottom 5 thread:

Mix the realism of the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey with the corporate hijinks of the TV series The Office and the intrigue of your favorite political thriller and you have this fantastic anime series. There's great character development and many individuals have background stories that are very well fleshed out. Planetes also does a great job in illustrating space as a treacherous environment (orbital debris, anyone?) and equally captures man's fascination to explore, discover, and push his limits.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I like Planetes for its intense drama, solid and believable storyline, strong characters, and great comedy. Animation is another good thing to consider. It has everything done right to the dot, and it's one of my favorite series. Like Eruanna said, different people have different tastes. Perhaps rather than have us tell you why we enjoyed it, you should support your opinion by pointing out why you didn't like it.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Planetes is a special series for two overriding reasons: it is one of the very rare sci-fi series set in space to actually be about space rather than just using it as another environment, and it makes the experience of being in space (or on the moon) a wondrous thing, something often lost these days by jaded sci fi fans. The series also deals with the minutiae of life in space more thoroughly than any other anime sci-fi series you'll ever see.

And despite some annoying behavior at times, it does manage some good character development over the course of the series and a very strong final volume
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
First I'll turn around and ask you, the OP, some questions:

A) How old are you?

B) What type of anime do you generally watch?

Both of these factors have a heavy influence on one's enjoyment of Planetes. If you're older and have spent more time in the world of work dealing with co-workers, bosses, bureaucratic red tape, and thankless tasks, you'll get more out of Planetes. It's also not a typical action/fighting/explosions/hot chicks anime, so if you're looking for excitement and thrills, you're barking up the wrong tree. It may not be 100% technically accurate, but it tries harder than most anime to present a realistic view of space in humanity's future, as seen through the eyes of ordinary "anti-heroes." That's what I enjoyed about Planetes, and I consider the $27 I spent on the series (legitimate version, mind you) to be among the best $27 I've spent. Yeah, the show's probably worth more, but it's not my fault Bandai released the ultra-cheap Anime Legends version which became even cheaper at a TRSI sale.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:05 am Reply with quote
Planetes is indeed one of my favorite shows and one of the rare anime series that I even showed to my roommates who are not anime fans. I remember last year when someone was asking for a good mature series this is the series I raved about the most.

Quote:
There are definitely shows that are targeted towards those who are out of school. I'll keep the themes vague, so as to not spoil any plot points. Things I like about Planetes is the nostalgia of meeting old friends and coworkers who have drifted in different directions over the years. The idea of people you idolize when you were a kid turning out to be retired, fragile and all too human. The idea of living with the consequences of bad relationship choices in your youth. The humor and tragedy of temp workers. The concept of companies downsizing. The conflict between a company promotion and doing the right thing. Having lived through much of what the characters face I probably could go on for a long time about why I can relate and appreciate Planetes or a number of other shows that many of the insightful folks on this thread have posted. I'm really glad to see this thread, since I too am tired of seeing shows based around first kisses and kids saving the universe.

Not to mention that this series is beautifully executed. The series, much like the amazing Patlabor television series, did really well in sales in Japan and sadly enough didn't do as well in the US. Well worth the about $100 I paid for preordering the 6 DVDs.
Veggie-Trunks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

A) How old are you?

Both of these factors have a heavy influence on one's enjoyment of Planetes. If you're older and have spent more time in the world of work dealing with co-workers, bosses, bureaucratic red tape, and thankless tasks, you'll get more out of Planetes. It's also not a typical action/fighting/explosions/hot chicks anime, so if you're looking for excitement and thrills, you're barking up the wrong tree. It may not be 100% technically accurate, but it tries harder than most anime to present a realistic view of space in humanity's future, as seen through the eyes of ordinary "anti-heroes." That's what I enjoyed about Planetes, and I consider the $27 I spent on the series (legitimate version, mind you) to be among the best $27 I've spent. Yeah, the show's probably worth more, but it's not my fault Bandai released the ultra-cheap Anime Legends version which became even cheaper at a TRSI sale.

I have to respectfully disagree with you and the rest of you as well. First off, I think it's ageism and slightly ignorant to say that someone cannot enjoy an anime because they cannot relate to it. Let me tell you my top 10:

1) Gungrave
2) Getbackers
3) Saiyuki
4) Host Club
5) Fruits Basket
6) s-CRY-ed
7) Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
8) Samurai Champloo
9) Descendants of Darkness
10) Wolf's Rain

Now I have never had my best friend kill me, lived in a car, been on a journey to the west while fighting demons, broke an $80,000 dollar vase and had to pay it back, had friends that turned into animals, been able to form weapons out of thin air, had a friend going to my school that was also from the military, been on a journey with two samurai who hated each other, had someone rape and kill me when I was 13, NOR been on a search for paradise.

But somehow I managed to like these animes.

Now a lot of those are action animes, true, but I also love animes such as Kino's Journey and Mushishi which I feel is for a certain audience. You have to be into psychological/deep anime in order to enjoy them. It depends on what you want to get out of your anime.

Planetes is near the bottom of my list for a few reasons:

1) No real plot.
2) No interesting and intriguing characters. All too generic.
3) It's just boring. I mean, if you're going to have a show about damn astronauts, you should at least have some interesting characters to off-balance it or some good underline themes going on like Kino and Mushishi.

I'm 19. Anyone who is 18 or older and hasn't experienced working with others in general is just a loser. I don't think you have to be 50 years old to understand the basic setting of Planetes. I understand how it feels to work with people you like and don't like. I understand how it feels to be the new girl. I understand how it feels to be in an unconfortable situation or to be around goofy people. But Planetes is boring.

Doesn't mean others don't like it. I just don't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chrisgll2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

A) How old are you?

1. I am 19

2. I generally watch anime that has nothing to do with "Planetes"

Sorry if i sound like a prick, but your comment sounded as if you were attacking me and my taste. In my mind...thats cause for a wordy response.

First of all, if you knew me at all, you'd know that I am the most generous person out there. I would do anything anybody asked of me. I've went to children shelters to play with the kids...because I wanted to. I've tutored sixth graders in school...without anybody asking me to. I've worked several jobs were I was recognized as being the hardest and most reliable worker. If you have anymore to say about me...you can message me.

Second of all, I like watching anime because it has nothing to do with reality. I like watching things that are entertaining and fun. Don't get me wrong, I know what reality is. I live outside my house, have plenty of friends that I hang out with, and deal with real life problems. Anime helps me with stress and a lot of things. So why would I watch an anime...that's about reality. If I wanted to watch about astronauts doing real astronauts things in outer space, I would go to the space center. In which case, is still boring as hell. Now, I understand...some people do like it, but didn't tell them they should go sales theirs if they already have it. Yall can buy whatever, I don't see what made them pick up the first DVD, clearly...read the back, and decided to buy it.........look whatever floats yall boats. I'm finished.

1. Bleach
2. Full Metal Alchemist
3. Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
4. Gungrave
5. Samurai 7
6. Ouran High School Host Club
7. Kino's Journey
8. FLCL
9. Saiyuki Gensomaden
10. Fruits Basket
Veggie-Trunks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
"The year is 2075 AD. The dream of working and living in the vast openness of space is now a reality. However, a new threat has arisen and if left unchecked can prove fatal: Space Debris! An undetectable screw struck and disabled a passenger space flight causing disaster and death to the ones on board.

A space debris collection agency is formed but, it’s a money losing venture for the corporations. Follow the men and women of the “Half-Section” and witness the harrowing experience that is involved with such dangers."

Now if you read this on the back of the first DVD and said "That's something I'd like to buy!", then I have nothing more to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that Zalis sounds a bit too "rough" with his questions, they are valid questions.

And I really am having a tough time finding a point to your second post.
If this is your mentality:

Quote:
Yall can buy whatever

What was the point of the thread? You sounded like you wanted honest opinions of why people could like it and you got them. I've never seen Planetes. It looks interesting but sounds a bit boring as well, for me atleast. Besides that I'm not really into sci-fi + space travel mixed, I wonder if I could get into the show. However, I'm more than willing to give it a shot based on people's reviews on it here.(Though the topic title does scream for people to defend it rather than bash it)

You answered your own question. If this is supposed to be a rather realistic feeling anime, and you don't want realism, I guess that's it for you. Eh?

Your tastes may be fine and good but your reviewing capabilities may need to mature. Here's another question, have you ever thought something was "good" while similarly not caring for it much?

*Edit* And veggie-trunks, using the back of the dvd is a cop out, really. I work at a movie store, do you know what kinds of BS are written all over these things? If you arbitrarily decide something is good or bad simply by the words on the dvd cover, be prepared for suprises. I'm sure if someone felt like it, they could find horribly written paragraphs for numerous popular and highly rated anime material. It doesn't mean anything.

Last edited by Vortextk on Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Veggie-Trunks wrote:
"The year is 2075 AD. The dream of working and living in the vast openness of space is now a reality. However, a new threat has arisen and if left unchecked can prove fatal: Space Debris! An undetectable screw struck and disabled a passenger space flight causing disaster and death to the ones on board.

A space debris collection agency is formed but, it’s a money losing venture for the corporations. Follow the men and women of the “Half-Section” and witness the harrowing experience that is involved with such dangers."

Now if you read this on the back of the first DVD and said "That's something I'd like to buy!", then I have nothing more to say.

Of course, you're completely disregarding the fact that DVD case teases are often written by mentally challenged monkeys. If I bought things based on the DVD case summary, my anime collection would be much smaller (and that's saying something).

Have you or the OP considered that some people actually rent things before deciding to spend money on them, and have different tastes in anime than you do? I think that Naruto is an enormous waste of time (after sitting through a good few hours of it and actively trying to like it), but I'm not going to say that no one should ever buy it and it should be smitten from the earth. Sheesh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veggie-Trunks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Veggie-Trunks wrote:

Of course, you're completely disregarding the fact that DVD case teases are often written by mentally challenged monkeys. If I bought things based on the DVD case summary, my anime collection would be much smaller (and that's saying something).

Have you or the OP considered that some people actually rent things before deciding to spend money on them, and have different tastes in anime than you do? I think that Naruto is an enormous waste of time (after sitting through a good few hours of it and actively trying to like it), but I'm not going to say that no one should ever buy it and it should be smitten from the earth. Sheesh.

Lol, I understand your point. I don't always decide by just reading the back, I take a few things in consideration. But the cover is not intriguing either. Look at it: An astronaut reaching for a screw...come on, seriously Razz Now I understand if they saw it first, then bought it.

And we're not saying people shouldn't buy it, HE was asking what people liked about it basically. Maybe he was a bit confusing in the way he said it though^^; but I got the point the first time I read it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4