• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note's English Dub Premieres on Web, Television

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightOption

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
Well, Light is a teenager
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
Watched the episode online last night, and I was impressed. I haven't read the manga (I'm not really into manga that much), so I had no idea what to expect.

This is definitely a series worth checking out. Smile
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Towards the end of part 3 of DN they play what sounds like a piece of classical music, but neither I or the other person, whpse a friend of mine onine can place it nor find out what it might be. Does anyone know what it is? It sounds familiar to me, but like I stated above, I cannot place it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
NightOption

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
It might be an original composition, I'm sure Death Note has some original music.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

When I started reading the manga way back before the anime was ever made, I actually imagined Light with Hildreth's voice, too. His role as Heero Yui has a lot of stoicism and almost a little bitterness to it. I thought that kind of voice would've been perfect, given Light's personality. I use his voice in my head for a lot of those characters, especially people that end up being/are voiced by Noriaki Sugiyama (Sasuke and Ishida in particular, since they're basically the same character).

Ironically, I imagined L with Drummond's voice, but after hearing Kappei Yamaguchi play the part, maybe Drummond's a tad too deep. His voice isn't as youthful in terms of tone, but he did an excellent job as Zechs Merquise in Gundam Wing, who's supposed to be like, nineteen years old or something, right? That's pretty close to L's age, I believe.

I'm going to visit some friends out of town later this afternoon. I plan on having all of us (yes, we're all anime fans) watch the [as] premiere tonight. Ocean (Vancouver) has always been my favorite group of voices (though the acting and pronunciations haven't always been spot-on, but I love the actual sounds of their voices and use them a lot for reading manga). I'm looking forward to a really good dub. I feel they're especially good at dubbing slow, dialogue-heavy titles.

The main reason I thought Mark Hildreth was because of how he could seem like a cold disconnected mercenary but then show hints of emotion and compassion; Plus he can still do all those things while sounding like a teenager. Then we have Raito, who, at heart becomes a cold twisted husk of his former self (sort of a reverse Heero transformation), and loses any sort of compassion or emotion felt for anything, and only outwardly pretends to have a care for anything other than his goal.

I just can't imagine anyone else voicing Raito/Light when he goes on some of his later, colder inner-monologues like when he's trying to figure out how to kill certain people or avoid suspicion.

To everyone else: Who else here thought Brad Swaile didn't quite fit or that Mark Hildreth would've been a better choice for Raito/Light? And did you get into death note first from the Manga?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:

I just can't imagine anyone else voicing Raito/Light when he goes on some of his later, colder inner-monologues like when he's trying to figure out how to kill certain people or avoid suspicion.

Well, you have to expect the unexpected, and don't immediately get discouraged because he wasn't "what you expected." =D

I personally felt if Mark did the voice for Light, I thought it would be too low...*shrugs.* Dunno why.

Fallout2man wrote:

To everyone else: Who else here thought Brad Swaile didn't quite fit or that Mark Hildreth would've been a better choice for Raito/Light? And did you get into death note first from the Manga?

Anime smile; I have no complaints for Brad being Light, And I wouldn't really have minded if Mark Hildreth had the role instead. I'm pleased either way.

As for getting into Death Note, I learned of it when I had a subscription to Shonen Jump...which had to have been a few years ago.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Well, you have to expect the unexpected, and don't immediately get discouraged because he wasn't "what you expected." =D

I personally felt if Mark did the voice for Light, I thought it would be too low...*shrugs.* Dunno why.

Anime smile; I have no complaints for Brad being Light, And I wouldn't really have minded if Mark Hildreth had the role instead. I'm pleased either way.

As for getting into Death Note, I learned of it when I had a subscription to Shonen Jump...which had to have been a few years ago.

I'll buy it anyway, while I am dissappointed I'm not heartbroken or enraged over it, mostly because I can tell by his preformance how hard Brad Swaile is trying to work to do it right. That plus I loved the manga way too much.

As for being too deep, he can probably raise the pitch/tone of his voice when necessary to appear more light-hearted. In my experience it's much much harder to make your voice sound deeper than it is to sound higher.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Light's VA I can live with. It's not HORRIBLE. I kind of wish it sounded a little more mature though. He doesn't sound arrogant enough. He needs to sound less like a nice guy.

I hate Ryuk's VA though. He just is trying too hard to sound like a generic evil scary guy. He sounds like he is straight out of a halloween special. Ryuk needed to sound way more aloof and not have such a deep voice. But now that I think of it, I can't really imagine how Ryuk would sound in english so I guess it's an okay voice.

Overall, I give it a C+.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
Welp, just finished watching the [as] airing of the dub.

Overall: I'm pleased.

Light, I think, is so far exactly as he should be. I like how he sounds mostly normal, with some faint stirrings of insanity as the episode goes on. I think it's important for him to seem like a 'normal teen' at first, to make his transformation throughout the series that much more creepy.

I think I need to hear Ryuk's voice a bit more before I pass judgment on it. I was a little surprised that it sounded so human...I kinda wanted his voice to sound more otherworldly. But I kinda feel like I need to see a few more episodes to give a better judgment than that.

Still, overall, the only times I felt myself not liking the dub were a few of the nameless background voices. Otherwise, everyone seemed spot-on. Looking forward to seeing how the dub goes. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
Overall not bad at all... I would have liked Ryuuk's voice to be a little deeper, but so far, no major complaints. Lets see how his dad and Misa Misa sound like too!
c.rescentro.ses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I think it's all right. Light's voice isn't what I really wanted to hear but these things are usually never perfect. It instilled the same suspense and enthusiasm as I felt with the original.

I couldn't watch more than the 27th episode on youtube because they kept deleting the videos (sort of glad because that episode was very high note for me and my love for Light Yagami) but now I'm just grateful to watch the entire series on better-than-internet-video quality, even if it's a dub (I'm a subtitle person all the way). Even if it turns out to be a bad dub, I still have to see what happens in the end. Then I'll watch it in Japanese when the DVD comes out.

Go Light! I <3 You! Anime exclamation
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
The first ep is Light as barely possessed--he's just found the book so he's not as evil as he becomes later. Temper-tantrums later after L shows up & starts interacting with him.
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
WORST

DECISION

EVER!

they shouldve left Bleach on that slot!
that infuriated me and a good number of my friends!

Death Note LOOKS good, well, saying anything more would be misleading and quite dishonest on my part, and im not one to sully my conscience on such a small sin.

i oughta get a statistic together on this someday.[/i]
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm always pretty tolerant of english dubs, and as much as I love Death Note, considering it's not up there as that big of a favorite in the first place, I guess it's no surprise that I was fairly impressed with this dub! Laughing

But whatever the case though, I at the very least think that so far Ryuk's and Light's characters seem to be portrayed the way they're supposed to be. I have to agree with thinking it would have been awesome to hear Mark Hildreth though, he would have been PERFECT!! Cool But nah, Brad Swaile seems to be doing just fine anyways. And I have to say, Brain Drummond's Ryuk is actually a lot better than I thought it'd be. In fact, I'm actually not sure I could see anyone else doing it. I just love it! Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4