• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Keijo Won the Gold in Fanservice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I normally hate traditional fanservice anime, but Keijo is hilarious. I enjoy it the same way a lot of people enjoyed Monster Girls: as a ridiculous, rather than sexy, spectacle show.

Also, the dub is really great.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
@jroa I will reciprocate that with a fair enough of my own. While it is a good effort on the production's part, we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves with regard to its appeal outside our community.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No ifs, ands, or butts about it, Keijo!!!!!!!! is one of the biggest hits of the Fall 2016 season

Well, there's plenty of ifs, depending on how you define what makes a "big hit". Because, at least in terms of Amazon pre-orders, Keijo isn't doing particularly well. Probably the lack of a self-insert male character and/or actual topless nudity is holding off a lot of otaku that usually buy fanservice titles.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
We feared that this show would signify the bottoming out of the anime industry, ...

From the article:
Quote:
There's a lot going on between the cracks here, ...

Intentional, or just a coincidence considering the importance of derrieres in this anime?
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Though it's not one of my favorites of the season, it's still somehow watchable. It's probably the humor that does it for me. Who doesn't love the butt cloud? Laughing

Keijo is obviously parodying other superpower anime: titty hypnosis, vacuum butt cannon and an ass that has a mind of its own? It's practically the fanservice version of shounen action titles Razz
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I like Nozomi as a protag. If she were a guy, she would just be a typical Shonen main character, but its refreshing to get a female character who is like this. Also the main thing I took notice of was that the girls are all 18 and over. I feel like usually a show like this would have the girls be moe pre-teens or whatever. But its nice to have a show with girls over the age of 18.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Also the main thing I took notice of was that the girls are all 18 and over. I feel like usually a show like this would have the girls be moe pre-teens or whatever. But its nice to have a show with girls over the age of 18.

That's definitely one of the factors that got me to give this show a chance. Normally, the age of the characters is a significant barrier to my enjoyment of a fanservice series.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
This show would definitely not work that well if it was constantly winking at the audience,with how stupid it's premise is. It also helps that the director and the rest of the staff are obviously having a ton of fun on this,where most of these shows are very phoned-in when it comes to the direction and animation.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Intentional, or just a coincidence considering the importance of derrieres in this anime?

In fairness, I think the time has come to put all these puns behind us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy this show's "serious humor" quite a bit, and I think the fan service is less bothersome than it should be because there aren't any male characters with their noses bleeding at the sight of so much T&A.

However, it's a shame that the author couldn't resist including one of my least favorite character types: the horny old man in the body of a hot girl. I just don't think it's funny when a character gets away with molesting girls just because she's a girl too.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's absurd but it's not fanservice.

Quite true. This is ecchi show so asses, boobs and swimsuits are all plot-related.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
As a fan service anime fan i was already looking for this anime.
But this anime brings more to the table. Comedy, sport anime plot, over the top attack names and also parody of another animes.

One of my favorites of the season.
synaia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Quote:
No ifs, ands, or butts about it, Keijo!!!!!!!! is one of the biggest hits of the Fall 2016 season

Well, there's plenty of ifs, depending on how you define what makes a "big hit". Because, at least in terms of Amazon pre-orders, Keijo isn't doing particularly well. Probably the lack of a self-insert male character and/or actual topless nudity is holding off a lot of otaku that usually buy fanservice titles.

Well the anime removed almost all traces of the males that are actually in Keijo!!!!!!!!
The author probably meant internationally anyway, on the charts CR released it always has been one of the most watched shows with drifters and yuri on ice except for Canada.

America: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/10/27/feature-crunchyrolls-most-popular-fall-anime-by-state
Europe: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2016/11/11/feature-crunchyrolls-most-popular-fall-anime-by-european-country
Australia: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2016/11/02/feature-crunchyrolls-most-popular-fall-anime-by-state-australian-territory
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
My favorite thing about Keijo!!!!!!!! is that you can replace the audio of the battles with audio from JoJo and it would still fit. Serioulsy, from episode 1, when Kawai was fighting those three girls, all I kept hearing was ZA WARDO!!!
shadowbringer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
"So what's your favorite thing about Keijo!!!!!!!!?"

I originally picked up the manga (when it had few scanlated chapters) because of its weird premise, and curious about how it's supposed to work in the manga (and how the manga does it), then noticed that the main character is smart, in her own way, and I like stories and/or characters who put good emphasis on decision making (such as Akagi, or Ten), since, as a fighting game/shoot'em up fan, I'm stimulated by the thrill of fast-paced decision making, and in the case of FGs, psychological battles, and the contrasts of players' characteristics (strong and weak points, playstyles).

I've said this quite a lot of times before, in different places, but for me, here are some of the reasons why I like the manga:

- within the limitations of the game's system (can't use limbs to contact the opponent), the longer matches push the author's creativity with what the characters can do (and to some extent, on the land designs, and in how the players can interact with them)
- the longer the matches are, the more the players try to adapt to their opponents and outsmart them, and normal attacks are still important (not only so that the matches don't become a contest of "who has the best special ability", but to help make said special abilities become usable), some normal attacks or feints are countermeasures to special attacks, even
- besides liking the characters (even most of the more characterized antagonists), I like the protagonist's point of view: she's perceptive (can catch details and information that most people don't), creative (can use said acquired information in uncommon ways, sometimes this is used for comedy), confident (she trusts her own analysis, when other people wouldn't risk their matches/exams trying to do the things she does; she's not seen letting her fear affect her decisions and their execution; these three qualities, except for the comedy, are also things that I like in Akagi) and persistent, partially thanks to her poor upbringing (in a rare case of when a protagonist's poverty becomes a disability superpower, which goes well with her quest to help herself and her siblings overcome their financial hardships). Besides her upbringing, she has a nice personality, so far appears to know what's truly important (despite her obvious attitude towards gaining and saving money, it's not money that keeps her standing; she even went down in the first of the two mock races -- the anime didn't show this, it compressed them into one mock race in the first ep -- when spoiler[Yamikumo Sachiko sunk Miyata, to try to make her fail the entrance exam as revenge for an incident involving Miyata and her friend, and then Nozomi sunk her, along with herself]; she couldn't do that if she cared for money above all else), puts a lot of effort for the people she considers important, and forms interesting game plans/strategies during her matches due to the qualities I've mentioned before (perceptiveness, creativity, confidence), as she figures her opponents out.
- the story arcs, the bits of comedy (the manga has some hilarious references too, parodying the Terminator, 300, Aliens, Madoka, etc.), world building, training, characterization and character interactions are nice (they complement the intensity of the matches well)

Finally, while the anime/manga has fanservice, this is the aspect that least interests me, partially because even if the setting is uncommon, it can't sustain itself by the novelty factor alone; eventually it will become "old" and (alone) not contribute to make this manga/anime stand out from other manga/anime with fanservice. I think that this manga has at least three elements, which together (along with the story itself and its characters), help give Keijo its unique feel (sometimes described as cozy, when there aren't matches happening) and flavor (as a reading experience):

- Fanservice (due to the gambling sport's game format, at least)
- Comedy (because without it, it would be too hard for the readers/watchers to maintain their willing suspension of disbelief, so the matches could be seen as unintentional comedy)
- (Battle) Sports (if this element wasn't well done, it could become weak enough to be disregarded)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7