• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BBK/BRNK (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I feel bad for Kogane. No matter how much she feels or wants revenge, her father isn't ever going to come back. It's just a harsh reality she has to learn to deal with in the end. In the meantime, I'm really curious to see what Azuma's sister plans to do next. Up to this point, I take her more as a comic relief character but seems like she's about to get serious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:26 am Reply with quote
This episode felt pretty fantastic. We started back with that fight that started at the end of last episode, before our main characters wiped the floor with the opponents, the reason being the growth they had last season with the particular battles where they all matured. And there did not seem to be any bad over the Taiwanese team, they are pretty cool guys.

And then we had the return of Matobai, who as always is a total badass. It was quite interesting to see that the thing he wanted most was a fight with Kogane's father, something he never got because Kogane had inherited Migi, but also great reveal that he never shot him. I don't even find it a copout that one of the soldiers got spooked and shot Kogane's father, not realising that he was actually harmless despite holding Matobai's gun, the foreshadowing was probably there in the fact he was holding a regular gun instead of his bubuki. Showing his motivation, his sincerity against Kogane's rage, I have always liked that despite all of her appearances she this side, I really liked it all. Plus him having now lost his power in having a kid, that Kogane is kind of facing committing the same thing she hates too much, that she cannot forgive him regardless but she has to move on from revenge.

Also Epizo was in the episode. No doubt I am pretty alone, but I love that dork, that he can be a surprising dude with spirit, and even how the show treats him like how he starts to go on a rant about some guy liking his shirt.

FenixFiesta wrote:
I think it is safe to say that Kaoruko is about to get burned when she attempts to yield Entei.

I think that more scary is that to control Entei will mean some sort of control over its heart, which we know is actually Reoko herself. I think that this is foreshadowed by the new OP which has Guy controlling Reoko like a puppet. Do wonder what it will entail.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 4:

Pretty calm episode. The fan service part was awkward but the info dump coming from the talking Buranki about humans (which I agree with in some terms) and Buranki seemed interesting.

Still awkward to see Matobai working with his former enemies though
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:02 am Reply with quote
Really kind of cool that Maxim had such a "change of heart" and really grew as a person after he was defeated. But for what came next with the entire team slaughtered in a pretty brutal fashion, that was quite surprising. Most shocking was the sister hopelessly trying to fight the control, killing everyone close to her, and then it turning on herself.

I am really liking this all, this series is so underappreciated in my opinion. I was thinking about how the OP has a kinder of sadder tone to it, and if we are to see more like this it is not that surprising.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
So after 16 episodes we FINALLY get an explanation of the Buranki. Considering the subtitle of this second installment - Gentle Giants of the Galaxy - its no real surprise that the Buranki turn out not to be some kind of hostile alien invaders.

Yes, the fate of the Russian team was harsh, for sure. And just to add insult to injury it comes literally on the heels of Maxim finally not treating the others like a total dick.

Sure did not expect an onsen episode in the middle of an ice-field.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
I haven't got a chance to watch this series, but this has been forwarded over and over:

https://www.plurk.com/p/lww6j4 (Note: contains screencaps that might be considered spoilers)

This is, what, a series promoting tourism for Taipei? Laughing Laughing Laughing I expect cosplayers appear in THE authentic locations in no time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:29 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
This is, what, a series promoting tourism for Taipei? Laughing Laughing Laughing I expect cosplayers appear in THE authentic locations in no time.

Oh, you live in Taipei?
Most of the images seem to be the from the first episode of the second season where the gang arrived in Taiwan and were enjoying the sights, it relies pretty heavily on watching the first season. I would be interested in what locals would think of the portrayal.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Yay, turns out that Kaoruko really is no dummy, she is able to look through the warning signs and see that Guy really is bad news, and chooses to help her brother. The unfortunate news is that Laetitia, the thoughtful looking English girl, is actually totally selfish and is continuing to blindly follow Guy to get her legs back, and Epizo's big heart is a weakness in him deciding to back up how she earnestly explains it. I really kind of like how things progressed, Matobai is not so bad, Maxim learned to respect his comrades (before they were disposed), Kaoruko has shown to be more than an angry girl who wants to lash out for her father figure, Laetitia is not as selfless as how she holds herself. And Epizo is kind of lost in the whole situation and trying to figure out what is right, so he seems to have taken the easy option of 'helping the princess'. And all of this comes after the first season showing the originally insane and evil Reoko and her gang having somewhat good reasons for their actions and reactions.

I don't know the name, but the secretary of Guy has been kind of reminding me of Hazama. We don't know where she is, and she actually spent a good part of the first season pretending to be an ally of the main characters (as a different person), so it has me wondering if she is doing the same thing against Guy. And are we meant to expect it?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
That's an interesting thought, DP. Whether you are right or wrong, I hope the show brings her back, soon. She was hot.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
The more I think about Epizo, the more crazy I think he is becoming with the action he's taking. Maybe not crazy as in psychotic but lack of common sense.

Kinda interesting to see Reoko seeking help from Azuma's friends though.
Ah, it also looks like the Russian team is gone for good now Sad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I might be wrong, but I sort of view Epizo as a not-too-subtle commentary on how some Japanese view Americans. I.e. the idea that some Americans are not too big on the whole "thinking" thing.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
What is intriguing is Guy hasn't had "that" much screen time, but he has built his rule based on fear, half truths, outright mind control, and killing off those he sees as future threats.

When looking back on it, Reoko and her cohorts "hard ball" method of playing antagonist to Azuma's group would be more than justifiable when preparing them for a real dirtbag of a tyrant.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
The more I think about Epizo, the more crazy I think he is becoming with the action he's taking. Maybe not crazy as in psychotic but lack of common sense.

I was kind of thinking that earlier, until I really paced myself through and kind of saw what I he was going through. I do think Epizo is representative a bit of Japanese think of USA, but I don't think that should be taken as an insult as a general reaction might be. Epizo wants to be a hero, he wants to be the good guy who stands by those in need, and I think that it is related to his relationship with his mother and how he wants to use the power he inherited from her. We have actually seen that he has felt conflicted with working with Guy, he definitely thought being involved in the attack on Treasure Island was not heroic at all, but he had to do it even to get the power to be a hero.

I do get the feeling Epizo has been thinking through it a lot and he is finding it a good deal of trouble picking a side. On one side he has Guy who seems to claim to be trying to change the world for the better, but Epizo has realised that his methods are not the nicest, and despite that he needs his help to get back the power of the actual heart he wants to use. On the other side there is Azuma, who he knows is a good kid, and wants what is best for others, but he is also a kid and he is suddenly working with Reoko, and I would say he actually feels guilty about being involved in the attack on Treasure Island, so he feels conflicted thinking about needing to change to his side. Unable to choose a side he hears the story of a mild mannered girl who is fighting so that she can get back the ability of her legs so that she run around with her friends, it sounds like an easy good guy motive to help her, so he took it up to be on her side.

It might sound crazy that he is ignoring so much other information, but I think that it comes it does come from a good place to be the good guy, but can't feel if he chose the two big sides that he could be that, and unfortunately he took the easy way out. Epizo's team mates poke fun at him a bit, but they actually respect him, they respect his desire to be a hero regardless of how hammy he can be, and they believe in his strong moral compass. I actually kind of like him for this too, despite how it might make him hard to deal with. And it would not be surprising if Guy is purposely using Epizo's nature to manipulate him, just as he has played the father figure to Kaoruko, giving Maxis control total control over his team, and dangled the promise of a use of legs for Laetitia. He is going to betray them in these areas, but they are the fundamental weaknesses of these characters that would take real growth for the characters to overcome.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Well, DP, you were correct about Double (Guy's hot secretary) actually being the lovely and talented Hazuma. Good call.

And Azuma officially becomes the stupidest MC of all time. He goes to "rescue" his sister without any help at all and decides to walk there holding a tourist map? And he hasn't even bothered to find out what Guy looks like? Dumbass.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Or, it's all party of the plan. I don't think that Azuma is just randomly wandering around. It wouldn't surprise me if Reoko put him up to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6