• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Fall 2016 Anime Roundup

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Otherwise spoken it's a pretty dead season for me, and hopefully things look better come the Winter.

So what kind of anime do you typically watch then? I agree with Zac and Jacob that this season is better then most so far.

Surrender Artist wrote:
I would like a women's ice hockey show. It could re-use Yuri!!! on Ice's title.

As much as I like Yuri on Ice, I agree with this sentiment. As a heterosexual man, all the fan service thus far doesn't really do much for me.I wish the show would throw those of us attracted to the ladies a bone or two.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
^It's not like we're lacking in straight male fanservice shows. They aren't under any obligation to have fanservice for everyone. Now it is nice when shows have fanservice for everyone, but that doesn't mean all shows should have fanservice for everyone. Given the amount of straight male oriented fanservice, we can let a show just have fanservice that is directed elsewhere.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

As much as I like Yuri on Ice, I agree with this sentiment. As a heterosexual man, all the fan service thus far doesn't really do much for me.I wish the show would throw those of us attracted to the ladies a bone or two.

I think you misread, I was just making a clumsy callback to a lousy joke that I tried a few weeks ago.

I don't get really care much for the fanservice offered for my satisfaction. It usually feels distracting, uncomfortable or gross to me. I don't really get much out of it when it's for the benefit of females either, but I do usually find it less unpleasant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
So what kind of anime do you typically watch then? I agree with Zac and Jacob that this season is better then most so far.

Usually I either watch older anime from the 80's/90's, or I watch more of the mainstream shows like One Piece, Gintama, or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I don't like modern idol anime, or anime about little girls, or shows that have subtextual non-comedic pandering/fanservice, shows that prominently feature emo/edgy/fashionable/pretentious teenagers, shows that use the popular light novel artstyle, shows with hikkikomori/NEET/otaku lead characters, etc., so as you can imagine, it makes it a bit difficult to find new shows in a season that are appealing to me. Last season I loved watching Thunderbolt Fantasy, but gave up on Mob Psycho 100 because the teen drama started to grate on my nerves. I appreciate Drifters so far since it seems to be sincerely embracing its concept and the violent backgrounds of its lead characters, though the schlock factor can carry a story-driven show only so far. Other shows this season I've previewed like Flip Flappers and Classicaloid had too many annoying/distracting elements for me to keep watching.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations guys!

No rush or anything, I can't even imagine having to talk about Re:Zero in this format 3 times over... but I was really looking forward to that episode. Maybe sometime in the future we'll get something, I guess.

Also, in response to that question about Flip Flappers, pretty much everyone in the Sakuga community, including myself, pretty much called that it was going to be that good. At least that good looking.
BVerfG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote
Awww, congratulations on getting married.

That Keijo discussion was priceless...although now I can't get that "fellas, fellas" out of my head
Very Happy
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
Best wishes on your married life, Jacob and Zac!

The bits Jacob said about Yuri on Ice made me excited to see more of the series. The fact that the skating scenes were not rotoscoped was definitely an amazing feat and the (mis)translation of Viktor's question ("Do you have a girlfriend?") added more weight to the characters' dynamics.

I also have a similar opinion as theirs on March Comes in like a Lion. I like the visuals and the developing story but the glaring changes in tone and the Shinbo-signature cuts threw me off a little. I guess because of the characters' designs I'm used to the JC Staff treatment of Umino's other work Honey and Clover; it had a smoother mix of comedy and melancholy.

Lastly I enjoyed watching Girlish Number and I also have the same concern as Zac; hopefully the show focuses more on the girls' antics and not the every-guy manager inadvertently reeling them in.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

There are too many damned exclamation points this season.

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool They could call the show Yaoi on ice. Have it star a female named Yaoi Sakuraba. Really mess with fan's heads.

Congrats to the newly weds as well. I know I've said it elsewhere but I hope you 2 are happy and you enjoy your wedded bliss now. I have to reiterate that you both looked handsome all dressed up and that the shoes made it all work Zac. Wink
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to Jacob and Zac! Does this make ANNCast officially the most fabulous anime podcast out there? I mostly enjoy the fall season but I feel like the one thing we're missing this season is a shiny new mecha anime to watch. I guess we already had Gundam earlier this year but we usually get at least one mecha show in the fall it seems like and it feels incomplete without a mech show.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Congratulations to Jacob and Zac! Does this make ANNCast officially the most fabulous anime podcast out there? I mostly enjoy the fall season but I feel like the one thing we're missing this season is a shiny new mecha anime to watch. I guess we already had Gundam earlier this year but we usually get at least one mecha show in the fall it seems like and it feels incomplete without a mech show.

You have BUBUKI/BURANKI -The Gentle Giants of the Galaxy. Ok is a second season but still is a mecha show so you still have one.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
And also the second season of Iron Blooded Orphans. Unless you are referring to completely new mecha series.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

Usually I either watch older anime from the 80's/90's, or I watch more of the mainstream shows like One Piece, Gintama, or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I don't like modern idol anime, or anime about little girls, or shows that have subtextual non-comedic pandering/fanservice, shows that prominently feature emo/edgy/fashionable/pretentious teenagers, shows that use the popular light novel artstyle, shows with hikkikomori/NEET/otaku lead characters, etc., so as you can imagine, it makes it a bit difficult to find new shows in a season that are appealing to me. Last season I loved watching Thunderbolt Fantasy, but gave up on Mob Psycho 100 because the teen drama started to grate on my nerves. I appreciate Drifters so far since it seems to be sincerely embracing its concept and the violent backgrounds of its lead characters, though the schlock factor can carry a story-driven show only so far. Other shows this season I've previewed like Flip Flappers and Classicaloid had too many annoying/distracting elements for me to keep watching.

Give Tiger Mask W a spin.
This is a sequel done right, to a classic late 1960s early 1970s anime.
TOEI has captured what worked in the original, and updated the rest.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
And also the second season of Iron Blooded Orphans. Unless you are referring to completely new mecha series.
Yeah, I was referring to a completely new show. I've been enjoying BBK a lot and I'm still trying to catch up on Iron Blooded Orphans but I wish we got something new new.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Drifters is the only anime this season that's appointment watching for me, besides catching up with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and continuing Iron Blooded Orphans. I'll get to Yuri!!! on Ice eventually, because it's Yamamoto, but the premise doesn't interest me much.

A lot of this season looks like the same few generic slice-of-life and/or light novel fluff we get every season.

Surrender Artist wrote:

I would watch that. But they should call it Yaoi!!! on Ice, just to complete the confusion.

Women's ice hockey with shoujo-ai shipping and bone-crunching action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2