• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Pictures Animation is Going Forward With Emoji Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob49152

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Pedantic? When someone asserts something that's false it's only normal to give a counter-example. I provided you with a counter-example which proved your assertion false. Pretty simple.

hahah you proved nothing lebowski!...nothing!. You provided one example that doesn't fit the given definition and declared yourself correct. I'll give you a slow ironic clap.

Feel free to go edit the wikipedia articles that I took the definitions from.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
You just linked as a source an article which shows that U+1F602 is an emoticon. You previously asserted that was an emoji. I get the feeling I'm being trolled.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
It really can't be that bad. Anyone who likes James Corden knows there's hope for it.

However, it really can't be THAT good either, especially if Sony is expecting a Lego Movie level of viewer response.

The LEGO Movie is something of a decontructive look at playing with toys and explores the differences in perception of the world between children and adults, particularly spoiler[adult fans of children's stuff.] I would say it was lightning in a bottle--the reception it got was because it was so unexpected, and it also radically changed how you'd see the entire movie prior to the reveal with this new knowledge.

I don't think that reception can be replicated so soon, not even with LEGO 2, since people will come in expecting that kind of deconstruction. For Emoji to pull it off too, it needs something completely different but equally shocking.

HeeroTX wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Emoji are popular. It would make sense that there'd be a Hollywood movie based around it.

I was going to argue that this is a stupid reason to make a movie, that the probable target audience loves things like cars, and you wouldn't make a movie about just "cars". But then I remembered that Pixar not only did that, but made MORE than one. So I retract any arguments and disbelief I had. How did "Angry Birds" do? If the parents and kiddos made that profitable (I have no idea if that's true) then this can probably aim to repeat that.

According to IMDb, Angry Birds cost $73 million to make and brought back about $345 million at the worldwide box office as of August 4th, 2016. I can safely say that movie's turned a profit and made Sony executives happy.

When it comes to children's movies, critical reception means nothing. What kids like is not necessarily what adults like.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
After the not-so-great reception of Pixels (at least based on my experience), maybe Emojimovie will have better luck...
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I just read this article and I'm thinking "They've got to be kidding me. This can't be real." Why,Sony,why? Are you so desperate for a hit that they willing to do this? Question Exclamation Just unbelievable. Suddenly,the live-action version of "Pokemon's" beginning to look a lot better,if not by much. Rolling Eyes Shocked Surprised
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean that Sony will have full legal rights to all Emoji images and everyone who benefits commercially from them in any way will have to pay Sony royalties? Ugh, "Happy Birthday," was just allowed in the public domain, can companies please keep their greedy hands off iconography that *should* be in the public domain? It's bad enough when artists like Taylor Swift register common phrases as "theirs" because they use them as song lyrics.

That's really what bothers me most about this. Surprised no one else brought it up.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I doubt they can push it just like that, since the artists for those emoji they're using in the movie, as in the people actually drawing them, are elsewhere.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Does this mean that Sony will have full legal rights to all Emoji images and everyone who benefits commercially from them in any way will have to pay Sony royalties?
That's really what bothers me most about this. Surprised no one else brought it up.

I thought of that as well. They could be finding themselves in major lawsuits with Microsoft.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt Sony will gain exclusive rights to the emoji. It'd be way too much trouble for them.

Heck, the emoji themselves are already on shaky grounds, legally speaking. The idea that the most well known ones are yellow round faces could potentially get them in trouble with the Loufrani brothers' SmileyWorld company, a company that exists solely through licensing out uses of the smiley face and charges huge amounts for them, so much that even big Hollywood studios are afraid of them.

If anyone's going to buy up the rights to the emoji, it'll be copyright trolls like them, not Sony Pictures.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Sony Pictures,is so damn desperate for a hit Rolling Eyes

Well, that might not exactly be true when their biggest movie franchises are the James Bond and Spider-Man movies
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:
Sony Pictures,is so damn desperate for a hit Rolling Eyes

Well, that might not exactly be true when their biggest movie franchises are the James Bond and Spider-Man movies

It might be when their last one was The Amazing Spiderman 2, and all future live-action ones with the hero belong to Disney/Marvel.
Which is why they want animateds and spinoffs, as a way of contractually bailing water from the sinking ship, but it don't look good for the spinoffs after Warner couldn't sell "Suicide Squad".

Also, to combat Disney and Warner, and make up for the loss of Spidey, they're considering plans to dig up Valiant's indie-comics line and start a "Valiant Cinematic Universe" beginning with Deadshot.....(puzzled crickets Confused ).
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much acid it took to come up with this idea. You can work with a threadbare plot of "A steals B's precious, B fights to get it back"; there literally isn't anything here but pretty pictures used when mere text isn't enough. Smilies can make for a great plot element, but they've exactly zero to offer for a plot.
Kadmos1 wrote:
Sony's sold or sublicensed all its rights to Spiderman back to Marvel and only owns a share in the Bond franchise that some speculate they might not keep when it comes time to renew the deal.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I wonder how much acid it took to come up with this idea. You can work with a threadbare plot of "A steals B's precious, B fights to get it back"; there literally isn't anything here but pretty pictures used when mere text isn't enough. Smilies can make for a great plot element, but they've exactly zero to offer for a plot.

It doesn't take any acid at all. Some old white man noticed that emoji are popular and gathers a crew together to make a movie out of it. I'm certain of it. Nothing more complicated than that.

This is also pretty clearly marketed at kids. They'll enjoy a good story as much as grown-ups do, but what constitutes a good story to them isn't necessarily the same thing as what grown-ups would like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3