• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:
Kinda curious why IBO Season 2 isn't in the preview guide yet.

Because I just.went straight to daily streaming reviews rather than waiting for the poll. First 2 episodes have already been reviewed
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:

Yeah I'm not sure why it wasn't put there either since other sequels are but I guess they'll just go straight onto the normal weekly reviews with this, the first episode's review is here if you haven't seen it already: animenewsnetwork.com/review/mobile-suit-gundam-iron-blooded-orphans/episode-27/.107445

Out of the three shorts I'll be sticking with this season my favourite one was Ninja Girl and Samurai Master, although some of the historical Japanese humour was lost on me, I did find Chidori character quite funny and I always love a good slapstick comedy. Nyanbo! was interesting not as much story-wise for me as how the show was animated and the CG characters blend in very well with the background and even decently when interacting with something like the cat which was moving. Miss Bernard said. wasn't really anything special but so did find it reasonably amusing and I know I've blatantly bluffed through certain situations like that was well so I'll stick with it and I hope we do actually get to learn a bit about some books during the series.

Also...
Rebecca Silverman's Shorts Review wrote:
While nothing still quite compares to Senyū as my all-time favorite short

I'm glad to see someone else remembers this, let alone have it as their favourite short as well, as I remember loving this one and its the only short I've re-watched numerous occasions
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
For shorts I'm still watching last season's Saiki Kusuo (aka funniest show that no one's watching), and this season I liked Sengoku Chojuu Giga (I agree with Jacob that the voice acting sounds extremely natural), Nobunaga no Shinobi (whenever I see a criticism in the vein of 'you won't get most of the jokes if you're not a history buff' I know the show's good for me) and Mrs Bernard (a very funny concept you never really see in media). I'm unsure about Kiitaro shonen, the episode itself was kinda boring, but the final gag made it work, I think I can give it an episode or two.

Classicaloid: It was goofier and more childish than I expected, but it was pretty fun anyway, Definitely the visuals are a big strength and Beethoven and Mozart are fun and charismatic. I just hope they tone it down on the gyoza jokes, the first time it was brilliant, the next four times... not so much. Storywise it didn't really grab me, but I'm interested in what they'll do with these characters, so for now I'll keep watching 3.5/5

3-gatsu no Lion: I think this one has a LOT of potential. It looks great and it has that heavy melancholic atmosphere that sucks you right in and makes you want to follow this character's journey through to the end. I've been hoping for a shogi anime for a while, and this looks interesting. I haven't been much of a Shinbo fan for a while, but his talents really shine through when he's not framing teenage girls in questionable angles. This could still go anywhere, but if it nails the emotional beats of Rei's struggle, it could become memorable 4/5

Poco's Udon World: I LOVED IT. It reminded me so much of Barakamon my heart clenched a couple of times. I loved the art style and the washed out color palette. Souta is very expressive physically, which sold me a lot on his conflicted feelings and his slowly developping endearment for the kid- I do hope the kid will learn to speak down the line because I feel that would make it even cuter, but for now I'm 100% on board with this. 4.5/5

I'm just waiting for Fune wo Amu to finish making my watchlist for the season, but overall it's been really strong, with a good handful of shows that have me really bleeping excited. And tomorrow is Yuri on Ice day, and I can't wait. This might be the strongest season of the year if you ask me.
Ultraboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect to like Izatta at all. I started to watch with any kind of expectatons, firsti i though it was a movie really, but i was surprised with the quality of the show.

So now i have one more anime on my list this season. And this is good. Smile Smile
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:

Because I just.went straight to daily streaming reviews rather than waiting for the poll. First 2 episodes have already been reviewed

On top of that, none of the rest of us were caught up on it.. (I'm watching via the Cartoon Network broadcast, and that's only up through ep 17.) Otherwise it would have been in the Guide.

On another note, in a real stunner for me, I might actually keep watching Magic-Kyun Renaissance after seeing ep 2. Though it's formulaic and predictable as hell, it's got something that's fairly rare in reverse harem series: a lead protagonist who's likable enough to carry the series on her own. (The fact that it's on the weakest day of the week for this season - and thus has little competition - doesn't hurt, either.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
For shorts I'm still watching last season's Saiki Kusuo (aka funniest show that no one's watching) [Well not no one Very Happy]

[...]

I'm just waiting for Fune wo Amu to finish making my watchlist for the season, but overall it's been really strong, with a good handful of shows that have me really bleeping excited. And tomorrow is Yuri on Ice day, and I can't wait. This might be the strongest season of the year if you ask me.

I must agree with your last paragraph in its entirety. I definitely think it may be the strongest season of the year. And while in past seasons this year I did not want for shows that I looked forward to, I don't think I've had many seasons where I was actively excited for so many shows. I'm also watching more shows than I have this year, currently 30 new shows which likely will go to 32 when I check out Fune wo Amu and Girlish Number, on top of 7 continuing ones (including Saiki btw). And this definitely is the best Wednesday lineup ever as I said earlier.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
If it wasn't for the brother-sister relationship then Girlish Number would probably be my favorite first episode of the season. It's absolutely dripping in cynicism, sarcasm, and the dog-and-pony show that seiyuu live events have become. The reaction Chitose had when she met the light novel author was simply perfect. If it wasn't for her brother being her agent then I'd say that this is just the sort of idol-esque show that I'd love to watch. No irritatingly squeaky-clean image of the industry here, several times various characters point out just how messed up it is. I love it. Just, please, please, do not slip into Oreimo-style situations because I really want this to be a solid and entertaining critique of the industry.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
Hello dtm42!
dtm42 wrote:
Everyone and their dog are going to vote for the popular titles, so I voted for an unusual mix to give them some love

Woeful as it may be, I have been informed that the title I anticipated the most, viz. Long Riders, has already crashed out of the race. Out of my elected shows, this leaves only Magic of Stella and Scorching Ping Pong Girls as contenders, and hardly potent ones at that. I dare say you will have more success in your selections if a broader audience shares a fraction of your interest in rugby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:20 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Woeful as it may be, I have been informed that the title I anticipated the most, viz. Long Riders, has already crashed out of the race. Out of my elected shows, this leaves only Magic of Stella and Scorching Ping Pong Girls as contenders, and hardly potent ones at that. I dare say you will have more success in your selections if a broader audience shares a fraction of your interest in rugby.

Woof. Got bad news for you, son.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:10 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Hello dtm42!

Hello Zin5ki. Long time no see.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
Well, I've now decided on 6 shows that I'll watch:

Drifters
Hopefully this one will become the bloody spectacle it promises to be. Until then I can at least enjoy a show where for some reason everyone is constantly grinning.

Flip Flappers
I've been looking forward to seeing this one for quite some time, the first episode didn't disappoint and it looks like it'll get even crazier from here on. Seeing all this wonderful art on display just makes me feel ecstatic, which is a good sign I've got something special here.

Izetta: The Last Witch
I find this one interesting for a variety of reasons. Jacob's observation that this might be Yoshino's own take on the idea of witches in a historical setting, that might take place in the same universe as Code Geass, being one of them. It's the kind of writing that I enjoy to the most, so I'll be sure to follow this one.

March comes in like a lion
This really seems like the kind of Iyashikei that works for me. One that focuses on solitude as opposed to everyday life. That might seem depressing but I really connect with this kind of work and it's been a while since I've come across anything like it. It's somber, but in a way that makes me feel relaxed.

Yuri!!! on Ice
I'm not going to lie, I'll watch this one mostly because it seems like required viewing. Everyone is praising the hell out of it, so I'll watch it just so I don't have to marathon it later. That being said, I do enjoy the beautiful skating animation, and being someone with a dirty sense of humour I appreciate the homoeroticism.

Keijo!!!!!!!!
But when it comes to satisfying my dirty sense of humour, nothing beats this. I wouldn't call this one required viewing, but the premise is just too hilarious for me not to watch it. And hey, it's not unintentionally funny nor is it pretentious, so I guess it works out.

Now, the only one I'm still curious about is The Great Passage. It could be interesting but it could also be really boring, guess I'll have to wait to find out.
dash56

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
On another note, in a real stunner for me, I might actually keep watching Magic-Kyun Renaissance after seeing ep 2. Though it's formulaic and predictable as hell, it's got something that's fairly rare in reverse harem series: a lead protagonist who's likable enough to carry the series on her own. (The fact that it's on the weakest day of the week for this season - and thus has little competition - doesn't hurt, either.)

When Fate UBW came out I started watching anime simulcast(I believe that's the term). Since then I've noticed that one or two of the bigger shows are saved for Sundays. Is this season different or were the past couple years just breaking the norm?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
It seems to me that with about 22 new (licensed) shorts, this Season saw an increase in the number of shorts in a Season. And quite a few of them are on Wednesday.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Woof. Got bad news for you, son.

My comfort zone proved to be my undoing, alas. Perhaps I should follow your lead and flip to Flip Flappers instead!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Just watched Girlish Number. I was worried it wouldn't be good enough to pick up, particularly as it airs on the already busy Wednesday. There was nothing to worry about it seems as it is very enjoyable in its take on the industry and LNs (though since Watari Wataru is one of those LN writers, the humor on that point is somewhat self deprecating. Not a bad thing). Wednesday just got even better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 38