• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Heart-Pounding Tournaments

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought the Chunin exams arc was pretty good.

Kinda wished my boy Vegeta was a bit higher. He's just awesome.

Hmm...I would have put KnM as my personal favorite for coolest OP but I saw AoT and I was like "YES!"
Now that's how you start an intro for an anime series.
Dextres

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
For anime openings coolest(imo):

Unravel-Tokyo Ghoul
Again-Full metal alchemist brotherhood
D-technoLife-Bleach(bleach 2nd opening)

For tournaments-What about Beyblade(original) and One Piece (Dressoria arc-Collesum)?

Regarding Pokemon, I think one of the memorable moments of the indigo league were Ash racing to make it back to his match with Ritche due to Team Rocket actions.
roesnail

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
I was sure I would see blue water from Nadia on the poll but I guess that was too old?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:44 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
I'm honestly just confused as to how somebody could make a list of anime tournaments without Yu Yu Hakusho's Dark Tournament on it.

My guess is it's because the Hunter Exam is on the list and is from the same author. Personally, I think the Hunter Exam is executed better than the Dark Tournament due to sheer variety and the bonding of the main characters over its course. And Gon really gets put through hell, most notably in his duel against Hanzo in the exam's final phase (which also happened to air tonight on Toonami).

If both the Hunter Exam and the Dark Tournament are included in this list, even if the Dark Tournament was added in as an eighth entry, then Yoshihiro Togashi's series would take up a quarter of the list.

FilthyCasual wrote:
Quote:
Before the creators made Ash's continual losses at the tournaments a running joke

Please don't remind me of such tragic things Anime cry

It's pretty much required he lose them all though (except Orange Islands, for some reason), since if he actually became the champion of one, he'd officially be a Pokémon Master and could retire.

Him winning a regional championship would be the equivalent of the cast of Gilligan's Island leaving the island, Wile E. Coyote capturing and eating the Roadrunner, or Booster Gold returning to his own time period. The driving force of the series would be gone, and the show would either end or require a new protagonist (and for the latter, Ash is just so iconic as a character now that I don't think it'll ever happen).

Gina Szanboti wrote:
If that were true the world's population would be a few thousand. The vast majority do just fine without one. It's just that a Hunter License comes with insane perks, which is why so many want one enough to risk life and limb for it.

There are also some tasks that require a Hunter License, or at least someone with a Hunter License is prioritized over those without. You can see that there are characters like Illumi who already has (extremely powerful) Nen but has only taken the Hunter Exam because he needs it for an upcoming assignment. Much later on, spoiler[when Kurapika becomes the new head of the Nostrade Family, he only recruits licensed Hunters].

Optitron wrote:
I'd argue that my choice to refer to the decision as a "fairly inexcusable offense" was enough to make that part of my statement fairly innocuous.

How can something be fairly inexcusable? Either it's inexcusable or it's not.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:55 am Reply with quote
The Battle City Tournament arc in Yu-Gi-Oh! is one of the most heart pounding tournaments in all of Anime history with the fate of the entire world on the line so why is it not on the list?

Also my vote for coolest opening song goes to "Sorairo Days" from Gurren Lagann it just really starts up your fighting spirit. Cool
Dextres

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

It's pretty much required he lose them all though (except Orange Islands, for some reason), since if he actually became the champion of one, he'd officially be a Pokémon Master and could retire.

Him winning a regional championship would be the equivalent of the cast of Gilligan's Island leaving the island, Wile E. Coyote capturing and eating the Roadrunner, or Booster Gold returning to his own time period. The driving force of the series would be gone, and the show would either end or require a new protagonist (and for the latter, Ash is just so iconic as a character now that I don't think it'll ever happen).

Which is why we have the manga, video games, fanfiction to get what we want as fans(older audiences,etc.etc, etc).
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
It looks like additions to the list are all placed below the initial set of options. Can't suggested entries be alphabetized with the other entries in the list so all the choices have the same visibility?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
@yuna49

I added a title and went back half a day later and it was listed in the alphabetical portion. I think they resort it occasionally but I can't say on what schedule. I just wish they would allow more than three choices. As with some of their other surveys there are too many good choices and no way to establish a top three.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
It's weird though, because I remember "Database (Log Horzien)" [sic] was on the list when I first saw it, but the full attribution has been added now alphabetically while the misspelling is still near the bottom.
Unknownsage13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Vanadise wrote:
I'm honestly just confused as to how somebody could make a list of anime tournaments without Yu Yu Hakusho's Dark Tournament on it.

My guess is it's because the Hunter Exam is on the list and is from the same author. Personally, I think the Hunter Exam is executed better than the Dark Tournament due to sheer variety and the bonding of the main characters over its course. And Gon really gets put through hell, most notably in his duel against Hanzo in the exam's final phase (which also happened to air tonight on Toonami).

If both the Hunter Exam and the Dark Tournament are included in this list, even if the Dark Tournament was added in as an eighth entry, then Yoshihiro Togashi's series would take up a quarter of the list.

Sorry gonna have to disagree with you here. The Hunter's Exam is probably the weakest part of HxH. It moves slowly and some episodes it seems like nothing happens. The Dark Tournament was alot more attention grabbing, had incredible emotional moments, saw the characters push themselves, and outside of the tournament we saw plenty of other awesome moments. Like I'd rank spoiler[Yusuke getting the spirit orb over what Gon went through in his fight].
Velshtein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
>No Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho

I don't even...

The DT is one of the very best and well known tournament arcs in all of anime. It's nothing short of shocking that any anime tournament list would overlook it.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
The lack of any Ginga Eiyū Densetsu's opening themes in The List is disturbing. From lyrics, melody, composition, and visuals & animation perspectives, they managed to capture the feel of the shows and help build the atmosphere leading into the episodes (when they were played). Which counts in my book.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:
Well I think you are wrong because there's been a plethora of tournaments in the history of manga that have been interrupted yet are still very much tournaments. DBZ and the Grand Magic Games come to mind. So that is why I consider it a tournament arc in that sense.

DBZ didn't have any tournaments that were interrupted outside of the one that was held during the Buu arc (which continued on minus half the competitors leaving). Also my issue with the Chunnin Exam isn't calling it a Tournament Arc it's calling it a "good" Tournament arc since it ended without being finished.
The Chunin exams includes the mryiad of stages they went through, not just the last one that was interrupted by Orochimaru. The forest of death and the first rounds of dual combat are included in that and they each saw an end. The Chunin Exams was a huge arc which is again why I don't dismiss it being an actual tournament because even though it wasn't finished we got a great chunk of what makes typical tournaments in manga so great.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

To be pretty fair the Yu-Gi-Oh anime had 3 different tournament arcs not just Battle City.

The Battle City is the best of DM. It had the highest stakes (the fate of world; and who is getting control of the secret power of the pharaoh, the spirit inside the Millenium Puzzle or the split personality of the leader of the Ghouls who is all about destruction and sadomasochism?), the most iconic monsters, and the rules weren't as shitty as Duelist Kingdom.

5D's WRGP would be one of my YGO favorites, since the duels are in teams and the duels are great and never boring, and the opponents are pretty likeable or badass, except Team Catastrophe who are meant to be disliked because nobody likes cheaters. Of course, the duels are also very long since it's 3 vs 3, but the duels were amazing, and they are better than the Battle City's qualification rounds.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
To Lynzee: Thanks for answer me with the thing of the tournaments. Also, can we cover some of the best fillers to watch from anime? Especially with this whole argument of MANGA VS ANIME that I deem stupid in great part. CAN WE PLEASE?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5