• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Strange Reinterpretations of Classic Literature

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barciad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:41 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Barciad wrote:
Infinite Ryvius
'Lord of the Flies' set in space. Somehow they nail it. Utterly.

And then there's Hakugei, which is Moby Dick in Space. It is easily possible to do a whole list of just "X in Space" examples, and then a separate list for non space adaptations.

It isn't the 'X in Space' aspect of it that is so striking. It is the sublime pacing, characters, and tone that I find so remarkable. It was actually as if someone had planned it from start to finish before they started it making it.
Barciad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Is it wrong that I like Sherlock Hound as my favorite interpretation of the famous fictional detective? <Anime hyper

I completely forgot about that one. Miyazaki does the Great Detective. Would always be awesome.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:49 am Reply with quote
Gankutsuou is pretty awesome but i will most lilely never watch it again because of spoiler[Fraaaaaaaanz!!! Crying or Very sad]. The only others i've watched from that list are Blast of Tempest and Romeo X Juliet and both didn't impress me all that much.

As for the poll, that's really tough this time: i've added Makoto Yukimura of Vinland Saga fame and changed my two other choices about three times by now because people keep adding great mangaka...
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
Romeo X Juliet is one of the best anime ever, use of literature is brill and I highly recommend it.

Blast of Tempest was good just needs a dub version to seal it as a great anime, but still check it out
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:40 am Reply with quote
My current favorite manga artist is Okayado because what's not to love about sexy monster girls. Also the only Anime on the list that I ever watched was Romeo x Juliet which I found to be pretty good and one of the best reinterpretations of the classic play out there. Very Happy
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
How are we defining "manga creator" for this week's poll? A few of the choices look like the original novelist whose works were adapted into manga (those who only did one side or the other of story or art seem more okay.)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Soumei Hoshino's "Alice in the Country of Hearts" manga and its 21 associated manga/light novel manga are obviously derived from Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" books.
Desa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Is it wrong that I like Sherlock Hound as my favorite interpretation of the famous fictional detective? <Anime hyper

Milky Holmes would surely be the most faithful adaptation. All they did was change the characters, the setting, and the plot. That's it! Conan-Doyle would be proud!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
Milky Holmes would surely be the most faithful adaptation. All they did was change the characters, the setting, and the plot. That's it! Conan-Doyle would be proud!

I haven't seen all of Sherlock Hound, so I don't know if the whole thing eventually went off the rails with the story or anything. I need to buy the complete collection.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
The list choices was like 20 or so when I first went to it yesterday. Checking it today to see what people have added man the list is long. Will there be a clear winner or will it be like the Naruto one lol.
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
How about Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds? That's a pretty... strange... reinterpretation of the Dumas classic. And Around the World with Willy Fogg. Do they count as anime? They were joint productions with Nippon Animation, wikipedia tells me.

There's an anime based on the works of Agatha Christie I've seen too, but I think it's a fairly straight retelling. Other than adding a random girl and her pet duck.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Yeah, Infinite Ryvius totally should've been on this list, it is Lord of the Flies in space. And it is good, though it requires patience.

More patience than I had, certainly! I tried watching it seven years ago, but found nothing to maintain my then-fleeting attention beyond the first two episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagsura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I created an account for the sole purpose of adding Kumeta to the poll. His work has to be some of the funniest and most interesting I've read, not to mention his unique artstyle gives it a lot of personality.
Barciad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
Yeah, Infinite Ryvius totally should've been on this list, it is Lord of the Flies in space. And it is good, though it requires patience.

More patience than I had, certainly! I tried watching it seven years ago, but found nothing to maintain my then-fleeting attention beyond the first two episodes.

Shame. It does require patience; but the patience that is required when reading a book.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Zetsuen no Tempest is one of my favorite animes.

i really have no issues with it.

though it's one of those things where once you know the ending it kind of takes the fun out of watching it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5