• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cheer Boys!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dash56

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it's a shame the animation isn't on the same level as the writing. Still this is a good show and I find myself looking forward to it every Tuesday.
Raneth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving the heck out of this show. It's thoroughly entertaining.

However, I call BS on realism. spoiler[Learning to do a back handspring in a week? No way. I tried for years and could never even learn to fall into a bridge. ]

I'm not bitter, I swear. Laughing
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the third episode twice in one day. The first time I had to pause it several times 'cause I couldn't stop laughing long enough to be able to read the subs. I also noticed some frames of animation were very blah and that was a bit disappointing. I also expected the action to be better animated. My hope is that when they're actually competing and they're a fuller group, the animation for the cheers will be actually animated. And please god, no CG.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
The "Rocky" stuff was serviceable enough, but does anyone happen to know the actual joke behind the squirrel's name?
Seishin Jinrou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
I liked the two leads and wanted to watch this, but the persistent, lurid imagery of people binging on disgusting, ugly food ruined it for me. If I'm tempted to vomit, I don't care about how cute the boys are. What happened to the cute little bento boxes we usually see in anime, with colorful vegetables and rice balls?
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, I totes teared up a bit.

STFU IM NOT CRYING I'M JUST CHOPPING ONIONS OVER HERE Anime exclamation Anime catgrin

This show gives me the warm fuzzies. It's such a very good, accurate portrayal of the various ways people can feel ostracized, and the importance of human interaction in our lives. It's effective because it's really simple, so it's really easy to relate to the characters and their motivations and situations. Phew. Damn onions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
all of them have distinguished themselves in such noticeable ways that I'm not at risk of mistaking anyone for anyone else.

True, but I'll never learn all of their names. :/

Last episode I got a kick out of not-Rei quoting American Beauty as if the quote were original to the movie, when the full quote itself says it's not. Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sho is a talented gymnast, but he's prickly, and he has a lot of misgivings about the lot of “amateurs” trying to pass themselves off as cheerleaders.

To me it seemed like he's really anxious about peope getting injured, so i'm guessing he's got a "dark (cheerleading) past" where someone got badly injured and he blames himself for it...though i sure hope it won't be too dark since this has been my feelgood show of the season so far. Smile

Last edited by Merida on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
The "Rocky" stuff was serviceable enough, but does anyone happen to know the actual joke behind the squirrel's name?
Not sure if it even counts as a joke, but the fours brothers' names were just risu ("squirrel") plus traditional male name suffixes indicating seniority (-tarō for the eldest son, -jirō for the second son, etc.).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
So the subbers just made their own Rocket J. Squirrel joke? That in itself is kinda amusing.
dash56

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I think putting the Sho's horrible drawings joke in there was a mistake. It just made me think about the bad animation and it seemed to stick out more than usual. Besides that, it was another fun episode.

Also I'm wondering if Sho's whole reticent behavior has to do with an injury during his previous cheer days. I got the sense that he feels guilty about something.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I thought episode 5 had better animation than usual, but there was still at least one embarassing mistake: when they showed Ichiro, Gen and Ton laughing at Kazu's botched introduction speech, Ichiro's hair was miscolored as dark grey instead of orange.

vonPeterhof wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Not sure if it even counts as a joke, but the fours brothers' names were just risu ("squirrel") plus traditional male name suffixes indicating seniority (-tarō for the eldest son, -jirō for the second son, etc.).

Oddly, as of episode 4, Funimation's subs are now leaving the name "Risujiro" untranslated. I guess it's because the name appeared spelled in roman characters on one of Sho's tacky outfits.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

As much as I'd really like to see this series succeed (probably because of the based-on-a-true-story thing), it's starting to lose me a bit. I appreciated the time it took to know the core group, but somehow it still feels like it's moving at a snail's pace.

I think they're failing to get me emotionally invested in Haru's issues, and that's not good, considering what an easy sell I am for empathizing with characters. Smile Usually characters resolve their traumas way too easily in anime because of time constraints, but here I just keep feeling, "get over it already." Can't quite pinpoint what they're doing wrong though.

I'm not close to dropping it though, so hopefully they can shift a little more focus onto the sport and a little less on everybody's hang-ups, or do something that will salvage this. Right now the main people I'm empathizing with are the ones whose story this series is making seem so dull.
genkillua

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
i'm still really liking this show (honestly mizoguchi is my fave character this season, probably the reason i'm so excited for cheer danshi every week).

the whole gay panic thing didn't bother me too much since it's not exactly something unrealistic among college age boys. I just hope the new character we got who's obviously coded as gay (the cute one with the pink hair who's name I'm forgetting) isn't treated as a joke or with contempt from the other guys.

I totally agree that this show's strong point is it's writing and characters, the animation and art is always subpar but I've managed to stay engaged nontheless. It's a shame, though.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I remain impressed by how well-written this show is, especially now that it's got so many characters to service. Even with the constantly off-model artwork and non-existent animation, it warms my heart like no other show this season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4