• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Amanchu!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluExocet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
sunflower wrote:
I've never been diving, too claustrophobic or something because I freak. But I snorkel a lot and will dive down to 20-30ft on occasion if I see something interesting. I just wonder if I should be more careful doing it with those numbers. I mean, I was told to slowly exhale but no one ever said why, and now I know. But am I missing anything else I should know?

If you are not using compressed air you have nothing to worry about.

At the surface you fill your lungs, then you dive. The air (and your lungs) get compressed. But when you ascend again they aren't going to have more air than they started with before you dove. That is why free diving doesn't require that particular bit of training.

If you go down, inhale some compressed air, you then have enough to cause an embolism should you ascend while not exhaling anything. In training they said this can happen within a meter or two.

Exactly. With compressed air it becomes an issue, as you are breathing from a cylinder that's undergoing the same pressure change as you are. Rapid ascents are very, very, very dangerous and can cause AGE, DCS, a ruptured lung, or straight up death. These do happen. DAN released their report a few months ago on death and accidents if you want to check that out.

With breath-hold diving (or free-diving), it's not as much an issue [I absolutely suck at free-diving so I can only go to about 10ft, so I don't know the training standards for it]. Hell, the freediving record was broken a few days ago, by the guy that set it. 102m/335ft.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
BluExocet wrote:

With breath-hold diving (or free-diving), it's not as much an issue [I absolutely suck at free-diving so I can only go to about 10ft, so I don't know the training standards for it]. Hell, the freediving record was broken a few days ago, by the guy that set it. 102m/335ft.

Ack I didn't know free diving was a sport but it sounds insane, at least in an article I was reading about a woman who died 16 years ago trying to break her husband's record of 531 ft by using a weight to pull her down. The article said:

Quote:
Free diving is dangerous, and in some cases deadly sport. There are about 5,000 free divers around the world, and an estimated 100 die each year.
Blackout Biggest Risk

To get back to the surface, divers inflate a balloon that quickly carries them to the surface. Those last few feet, as your body readjusts to the nearing-the-surface pressure, are especially risky.

"The biggest risk is shallow water blackout," free diving teacher Kirk Krack diver told Good Morning America in an interview that aired in Oct. 2000. "That's upon your return to the surface. You've used up so much oxygen that your body senses the low level and it decides to conserve oxygen for you. And it basically shuts you off, turns the switch off and you go unconscious."

Blackouts account for 99.9 percent of deaths.

Source:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=125625&page=1

That's scary. I just like warm clear waters and coral reefs. The above would give me nightmares.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote
So long as you don't hold your breath at any point during compressed air diving, esspecially whilst performing a CESA you'll avoid lung over expanshion just fine.

Honestly i'm finding the degree in realism between the diving in Amanchu and profesional PADI standards very accurate! I'm really loving is! Now if we can get a hipster diver in representing GUE... Laughing
BluExocet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:

Honestly i'm finding the degree in realism between the diving in Amanchu and profesional PADI standards very accurate! I'm really loving is! Now if we can get a hipster diver in representing GUE... Laughing

It's really every agency's and the WRSTC standards built up over the 50 years of SCUBA experimentation and research. Like my instructors said: "the physics don't change".

The realism of finding another diver in the wild in an unexpected place is accurate though. Come to think of it, I've almost never met another diver in the wild by chance outside of the shops or charters.

And I've never heard of GUE until now. Looked it up and really wish I knew about them when I actually was in Florida!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally post in advance of the review but I'll say I liked Ep 4. They did a great job of depicting the anxiety that comes with SCUBA diving particularly at the beginner level.

And the joy of it as well. There is something pretty magical about being able to float under the surface and just paddle around for a while. I remember my first time doing it and that was over 40 years ago.

Also the technical accuracy is much appreciated. I don't see why this anime couldn't be made part of a real instructional program.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
To be honest I wasn't sure whether I was going to carry on watching this show and I almost dropped it after episode 2 but I'm glad I stuck with it because it feels the show as really hit its stride now, as someone how has never gone scuba diving the depth in which they went to explaining even just the basics is much appreciated and the underwater visuals they use are great as well.
HaruhiToy wrote:
They did a great job of depicting the anxiety that comes with SCUBA diving particularly at the beginner level.
Also the technical accuracy is much appreciated. I don't see why this anime couldn't be made part of a real instructional program.

Yeah I found it pretty informative
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I agree that this week's episode was lighter on the humor than past installments, but the diving cap / underwear gag that capped off the first segment may have been the show's funniest joke to date. Heck, I was laughing before they even revealed the misunderstanding.

Not sure I can say anything about the second half that hasn't already been said. I have no background in diving, but I'm sure anyone's who's tried to get good at something in an expedient manner can relate to Futaba's heightened anxiety and frustration. This is probably the most raw emotion we've seen from the character.
BluExocet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I don't normally post in advance of the review but I'll say I liked Ep 4. They did a great job of depicting the anxiety that comes with SCUBA diving particularly at the beginner level.

And the joy of it as well. There is something pretty magical about being able to float under the surface and just paddle around for a while. I remember my first time doing it and that was over 40 years ago.

They did show the anxiety well. You're in an entirely new environment with all this big, heavy gear, and you're breathing through this thing that sounds like Darth Vader, and your mask is leaking. My instructor for my DM said that it's the mask clearing that makes or breaks a lot of potential certs.

I can't personally say that I connect with Teku's anxiety about going in the water, but her regular fears of other stuff I get. Even with new divers doing something as simple as breathing off a reg can be challenging. DSDs don't often get the safety of the confined pool training before they're on a boat being pushed off having only a very brief rundown of what to do. It especially doesn't help when there's large swells rocking the boat and you need them to jump into that big blue abyss. Gotta say, I am super jelly of that pool though.

And really, they didn't go as technical as they could have. A lot was not mentioned like the classroom stuff, actually showing mask clearing, hand signals, gear, basic dive theory, and dive safety. They mostly focused on the buddy system and BWRAF. Which is very important because not only do you know that your stuff is good to go, you know your buddy's is, as well as your buddy knowing your gear is good (PROTIP: if you or your buddy has the AquaLung i3 system - point it out and go over it with them).

Couple things:
Pikari is in no way a certified instructor as she's what,15? A Master Scuba Diver cert at most. PADI age requirements for DM to Instructor level are 18. They're probably playing it a little loose as she would technically be qualified to be an assistant, but not in an official or liable capacity. She's a really experienced buddy at best. This is also the same for SSI (PADI and SSI are both recognized in Japan under the WRSTC). Pikari can show you what you need to know and do, but not in an official capacity. As a DM, I can show and teach, but cannot sign off on anything other than a dive log.

The teacher: PADI standards for all OW training requires that an OWSI or assistant is in the water at all times while a student is still in the water. It's worded as "direct supervision", and it's part of the safety standards. Like I said with Pikari's cert level, she does not qualify as an official instructor or assistant.

Weight belts have their place, but I find them to be archaic torture devices, especially the sandbag ones (integrated or bust, imo).

I haven't seen monkey or kappa hoods yet, I've seen nudibranch ones though. We take what we can get when it comes to fashion in diving.

Last edited by BluExocet on Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
This was definitely the best episode yet for me.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Well that episode hit home with me. I have what some call thalassaphobia, and the anxiety just twisted my stomach watching this. I have no idea why I can go underwater and enjoy it in some circumstances but others just make me want to scream and run. Either way, I felt for Teko.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Within a single episode, what could have been a drifting slice-of-life show has gained a resolute focus. Futaba's hesitations and false starts have now been contextualised within the series' hitherto unexplored underwater domain. Her anxiety is now the antagonist, and the otherwise idle Hikari has something to gain and lose in her friend's self-confidence. In other words, we have a plot developing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BluExocet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Okay, time for me to come clean: if it wasn't for the diving, I would've dropped this show. This ep really did not do anything for me. It's the kind of really slow slice-of-life I absolutely cannot stand at all. It brought in a ton of high-school genre tropes I do not like and it was just painful for me to sit through. That being said, time for the diving stuff!

Once again, according to both WRSTC agencies recognized in Japan [PADI and SSI], Pikari is not a certified instructor. If anything she is still bound by the junior diver depth limits being under 16.

And this bugged me the absolute most: I get why in terms of character and story development that they're going to drag out Teku's certification by, what, three to four months till summer. I get that, but the reality is that you can knock out the OW class at a minimum of two days. Most instructors will say that three to four days is way more ideal, but the OW certification is not a months long venture. And Adv.OW is a handful of extra chapters and four more dives. Something you can knock out in a weekend (PADI only allows three training dives a day)

I honestly think they should have her knock out the OW cert immediately as she'll grow more as a diver with actual in-water experience than jogging around campus avoiding being drop-kicked by her senior. Not to say that physical fitness is bad for diving, it is strongly encouraged [mostly with dive pros because of what we need to do to keep ya'll safe], but with limitations. They're making a way bigger deal out of her having to haul gear than it actually is (and there multiple options for getting gear out of the water). That stuff is heavy. I have trouble with it, especially when I'm using my 5mm and I need around 20lbs of lead weight in the BCD. You don't have to be super fit, it helps, but that's what your buddy, DM, and instructor are for. To help you.

Both DAN and most diving medical professionals agree that strenuous exorcise right before and after diving have the increased potential to cause DCS [decompression sickness], and it is mentioned in the coursebooks themselves. Anxiety is also a pototential cause, and man does Teku have a lot of it. She's going to learn better by actually being in the water and getting used to what she needs to know not only for her enjoyment but also safety.

Have her handle the gear, have her just practice breathing underwater, put her in poor vis conditions; and if she can't clear her mask, she cannot get certified. I'm not kidding when that one skill makes or breaks potential new divers.

http://www.sportdiver.com/keywords/health-and-fitness/ask-dan-why-did-i-get-dcs
http://www.sportdiver.com/ask-dan-how-is-anxiety-related-to-dive-fitness
BluExocet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
This show has the same kind of emotional reliability to kids with low self-confidence and social anxiety the same way WATAMOTE did for those who were the super socially awkward nerd in high school. I can relate so much to Teku is uncanny.

Having Teku get one-on-one instruction is easily the best situation for her. She would still get that even if she were in a larger group, but this works out just as well. They only showed two of the twenty skills needed to pass the confined water portion, but everything else is mostly hovering and kit removal in water.

Regulator recovery teaches you how to get your regulator (second stage, octo's are "alternate second stage"). By swinging your right arm down by the base of your tank, back and up which'll catch the hose and you'll have your reg back. The show demo'd it with her octo and the second stage still in place. Which is fine, but the skill incorporates both recovery and clearing.

Mask clearing comes back up again, hah! I really liked how Kotori had her do the skill multiple times, not only to demonstrate that she can, but to get comfortable with it. Which is something instructors who feel that some skills could use a little more practice with will do. Masks leak if not properly adjusted to the face, or will fog up and that's where the clearing skill comes in, as well as knowing that to eliminate mask squeeze you breathe out your nose.

As for the swim test, I've seen this be the first thing students demonstrate, just so the instructor gets an idea of your swimming skill. You do not have to be an excellent swimmer to scuba dive, but knowing how to swim helps. And there are other ways to pass this skill portion.

PADI standards for this are either a 200m/yard continuous swim [not timed], or a 300m/yard swim with snorkel and fins. I believe Teku did the snorkel swim and that counts as passing. Then there's the 10minute water tread/float. Basically just float in water without the use of floaty stuff. Easier in salt water.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
Wow, episode 5 is unfortunate. Wish that whole thing just didn't exist. Talk about abuse. Just remove that girl from the show entirely, please. I did not appreciate her personality, nor the way she treated her brother. Lets just get passed that stupid trope. It's about as funny as falling on a girl's boobs... so not at all.
elux72

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Wow, episode 5 is unfortunate. Wish that whole thing just didn't exist. Talk about abuse. Just remove that girl from the show entirely, please. I did not appreciate her personality, nor the way she treated her brother. Lets just get passed that stupid trope. It's about as funny as falling on a girl's boobs... so not at all.

Boy, am I glad someone else agrees with me. This was a fun, gentle, entertaining little show until they ruined it with that stupid tsundere. I turned it off, and washed my hands of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7