• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. Films' English Dub Casts Johnny Yong Bosch as T.K., Tara Sands as Kari

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
dark13 wrote:
Damn this kinda sucks actually, they worn't even able to bring back some of the VAs ? now when I hear TK, I'm only going to hear Johnny Yong Bosch.

The weird thing is, 02's TK's English voice is going to be in Tri as a new character.
doubletakes

Oh my god, you're right. Doug Erholtz is in this.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Not that happy about this. Tired of JYB's voice tbh. He has no versatility
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:

I disagree on versatility, I think he has great range when given good/fun characters. Just compare his performances as Izaya (Durarara), Yu Narukami (P4), Nate (Yokai Watch), and Emil (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.) But admittedly, JYB has been overused as of late- he's the lead character in a good amount of the anime on Netflix.

With that all said, while I love JYB it would have been nice if Doug Erholtz was TK instead. There must have been a reason why the recasted him even though he's still in the dub. Maybe he just didn't want to? Or maybe he can no longer do the voice? It has been a while.

Also, I'm pretty sure the rumor that Vic Mignogna is Matt is going to be true. I read an article that claimed to have the officials cast list, and while I took it as a grain of salt at first, it's been right about all the casts so far.

Last edited by DigitalScratch on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
You haven't seen Eureka Seven have you?
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:

The irony of your name being derived from one of JYB's most notable characters is not lost on me. Also, let me guess, you're one of those people who thinks vocal range matters more than actual acting ability.

DigitalScratch wrote:
But admittedly, JYB has been overused as of late- he's the lead character in a good amount of the anime on Netflix.

Not nearly as overused as, say, Takahiro Sakurai, Mamoru Miyano, Ryota Osaka, or Yoshimasa Hosoya.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
What about Tai though?! What about Tai!?
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
What about Tai though?! What about Tai!?

That's what we're all waiting for, the suspense/surprise is real. >.>
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
Well it's great that they keep announcing new English cast members but when are they going to announce the theater locations since Tri is going to be in over 300 theatres nation wide I really hope that there's one close to me. Confused
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:44 am Reply with quote
It's a shame that Lara Jill Miller isn't going to be participating in this one. Oh well,at least Josh Seth is returning so I can live with that.
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:28 am Reply with quote
Disappointed about Doug Erholtz not reprising his role, and baffled that he's still around playing another character. Is T.K. now the only Digimon character that has had a different dub voice actor in each iteration of Digimon Adventure?

Similarly disappointed about Lara Jill Miller, she had a very distinct voice that I always attributed to Kari. Sad I was hoping that the majority of the kids would have their VAs reprise the roles, but so far it's only been Mimi and Izzy. Fingers crossed they can get Joshua Seth and Michael Reisz and the Vic Mignogna rumors are untrue...

Vic and JYB are two voice actors that are far too prevalent in the dub anime industry, and Digimon was one series that they were kept away from until now. :/ What a shame.

Panzer Vor wrote:
The irony of your name being derived from one of JYB's most notable characters is not lost on me.

What does that have to do with anything? Just because he presumably likes Lelouch doesn't mean he has to like JYB or enjoy his performances. He may not have even watched the dub.
Bluuumeee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
I don't think Vic and JYB are as popular/frequently used now as they were in the late 2000s. They still get a decent amount of work, but you'll rarely find them being cast as THE hero (Vic moreso than Johnny, admittedly) and seem to stick to major supporting characters. The youngsters, like Bryce Papenbrook and Max Mittelman, are all the rage these days. I like all of them, so it's not really an issue for me.
Naruto Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The original Matt (Michael Reisz) mentioned on twitter that he'd like to reprise Matt; if they really did replace him with Vic then that's just a senseless letdown.

TK is the only character that I wouldn't mind being replaced since he looked so young in the original show.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:
Vic and JYB are two voice actors that are far too prevalent in the dub anime industry, and Digimon was one series that they were kept away from until now. :/ What a shame.

Let's take a look at the ANN Encyclopedia's most prolific cast list, shall we? You'll notice that JYB isn't even on the list at all, and while Vic Mignogna is on the list with 237 roles, you should also be aware that most of his work was back when he was still living in Texas. Also, Vic was already Christopher/Kiriha Aonuma in Fusion/Xros Wars.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Lelouch Vi wrote:
You haven't seen Eureka Seven have you?
I have that's the problem. I hear this guy in almost every single anime dub I watch
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Let's take a look at the ANN Encyclopedia's most prolific cast list, shall we? You'll notice that JYB isn't even on the list at all, and while Vic Mignogna is on the list with 237 roles, you should also be aware that most of his work was back when he was still living in Texas. Also, Vic was already Christopher/Kiriha Aonuma in Fusion/Xros Wars.

There's more to being prevalent than just number of roles. JYB is associated with many well-known, mainstream anime, often as the main character, including Eureka Seven, Code Geass, Bleach, Ajin, Durarara!!, Free!, Yokai Watch, and others, not to mention supporting characters and several game roles. That's enough for me, at least, to get tired of his voice, and guess what - people are in fact allowed to not like him, or not want to hear him.

What difference does it make where Vic was working? He's a prevalent voice actor whose voice is heard often enough for me, once again, to get sick of it. He's also a voice actor who has little diversity among his performances, in my opinion.

You're right about Vic being in Xros Wars, but since Xros Wars is garbage, you'll forgive me for not remembering it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3