• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix, DreamWorks' Voltron Reimagining Gets 2nd Season in Late 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

keichitsu0305 wrote:
make Lance less annoying for the future episodes

He was a horrible character. I wouldn't mind seeing him getting brutally murdered. That way they can spare Shiro....

He's like a less witty version of Sokka from Avatar but what annoys me is how he's always up in Keith's space and flirts with every female spoiler[ except Pidge thank God ] because it's supposed to be quirky. Razz

Also, am I only one getting some "we must kill Shiro so Keith can become the new leader" vibes from how close those two are? I really hope that's not the case...because Shiro and Keith havw been my OTP ever since episode one. -///-
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
It was a decent watch... but if you're an avid anime watcher you'll see those twists coming a mile away. spoiler[green palladin, black palladin and original black palladin]..

Voltron was before my time so I have no nostalgia for it, and while I watched GoLion, I thought it was just average, and certainly didn't need multiple American remakes. I guess this is to mecha anime what Avatar was to shounen anime? One thing the show has going for it is it's the closest thing to an American action cartoon being made right now. I would guess that alone causes people to sing praises for it since action cartoons have been doomsayed for years and it gives people hope there's a small pulse.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Voltron was before my time so I have no nostalgia for it, and while I watched GoLion, I thought it was just average, and certainly didn't need multiple American remakes. I guess this is to mecha anime what Avatar was to shounen anime?

It's more about the people behind it knowing both sides of the material and having fun with it. Sure, the twists are predictable but it basically feels like a giant love song to both Voltron proper as well as GoLion. I mean, hell, they even brought Shirogane's spoiler[ injury scene ] from GoLion over almost frame by frame, background being different of course. They aren't trying to make a unique story or anything; they're trying to make a fun show.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
but shippers be shippin' Wink Do they really ship them as a threesome? Laughing

Lol yeah it's a free for all right now Laughing I think people are torn between Shiro/Keith, because of the obvious bonding (angsty?) moment that we're all expecting to happen between them (and that should've happened already imo), and Keith/Lance, because of the tension, so they just bunch them together since we don't have much to work with yet.

Agent355 wrote:
I also felt Allura's development was lacking, especially since they had so much to work with. Maybe the *destruction of her entire civilization* hasn't really hit her yet Or maybe it's because she's not the protagonist?. Aang was in a similar situation in the first season of AtLA, but he got more of a chance express emotions over his situation (especially guilt, anger and angst). It doesn't make sense that someone would wake up hundreds of years after everyone they knew died and not deal with a lot of grief and anger. Even Fry from Futurerama got some time to mourn. I felt like Pidge was more angsty than Allura all season, and that doesn't make much sense.

Agreed. I think it's the fact that she's not the protagonist that she's not getting the appropriate attention, which is strange because they appear to be trying to overcome that submissive princess cliche by making her a more active female lead, but in the process they forgot her emotional development unlike with spoiler[Pidge who is also a female but is able to express emotion and look strong in the process]
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Speaking of shipping, I watched it because everyone on tumblr was going crazy over Shiro/Keith/Lance so I thought it'd be my kind of show, but at the end I was left kind of confused how people came to that conclusion so resolutely. Sure there is potential, but right now there isn't a lot of character interaction or drama to warrant that kind of relationship between any of the characters.

What really spurred some of it was some of the staff that worked on the show coming out and talking about/making art about Keith/Shiro. Lance and Keith are pretty obvious though, the whole love/hate thing hits a lot of points for shipping! It's the tension! Lol. I personally really like both pairings and will be happy to see more of both. Anyway, shipping just fun to me so that's why I'm into it even if there really isn't much chemistry. I just like looking at fanart featuring my favorite characters even if it's them kissing.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
Does every show need to have a random gay relationship when Lance has shown no signs of it?

It's obnoxious.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Does every show need to have a random gay relationship when Lance has shown no signs of it?

Neither did Korra. Didn't stop them virtue signaling there Laughing People pushing Pidge to be trans more obnoxious though. It's like you can't do a simple cross-dressing plot anymore without it having some super hidden meaning.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
An interview about Pidge made perfect sense. She's a girl, the crew didn't care, she fights the same before and after the reveal because the gender shouldn't matter on either end if she can contribute. Perfect lesson.

Trying to say she's trans or gender fluid when it makes no sense, and being pissed at the obvious, makes me just shake my head.

And the whole "Lance has to be gay" thing still annoys me regardless. It didn't ruin Korra (bad writing and bad characterization did) but it still came out of nowhere sans foreshadowing to make it appeal to people. If you really want to make Keith gay, I guess...because he has no personality established yet, but Lance has no reason given his actions. Hunk is actively flirting with an alien. You can't throw that out and scream "homophobic!" if someone points out the characterization is ruined.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

It's obnoxious.

What shows have a random gay relationship thrown in them? How many? Seriously, I wanna know what you're watching cause all I ever see is boring, forced heterosexual crap rammed into my face whenever I watch TV. When has there ever been a cartoon where the leads were a gay couple?

This is the same team that worked on Korra that gave us one of the very first kid's shows with a bisexual lead. We're allowed to be hopeful that they'll give us another work with LGBT themes. We literally get next to nothing when it comes to media representation and still people bitch and moan because some of us just have fun pairing them outside of canon. Rolling Eyes

P.S. There are other characters besides Lance who can be in a gay relationship. Shiro and Keith exist too, and Hunk as well.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

He's like a less witty version of Sokka from Avatar but what annoys me is how he's always up in Keith's space and flirts with every female spoiler[ except Pidge thank God ] because it's supposed to be quirky. Razz

Also, am I only one getting some "we must kill Shiro so Keith can become the new leader" vibes from how close those two are? I really hope that's not the case...because Shiro and Keith havw been my OTP ever since episode one. -///-

It would explain a lot about how they've handled Keith and Shiro on this show.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
What shows have a random gay relationship thrown in them? How many?

I don't watch American animation much but I've seen a few cartoons have a token gay couple in them now. Both Clarence and Loud House feature a same-sex parental couple. They never say anything about it, or actually say the words gay or lesbian, but they're there. It might end up being a token stereotype in cartoons like black nerdy friend has become. I'd still consider it more natural then Korra, which felt like the writers made a desperate bid to stay relevant in the face of plummeting ratings and being pulled from television. Rather than go out being forgotten and hated, they are now constantly talked about and brought up when it comes to LGBT issues. They're geniuses in that regard. I think Beatdigga's issue is when fans try to force the show's creators to do something or maybe push headcanon as fact?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
That is my issue. If it's natural, like Steven Universe or Smithers or Mission Hill (remember that?) it's fine. It's head cannons which when refuted bring upon accusations of homophobia that annoy me to no end.

Another example - New Star Trek has a gay character with a family. At no point was his family life a major issue before. It's just that when we found out, he was gay. GOOD. He's not looked down upon, it was just there.

Arrow did it too where it's a character that is gay and isn't scorned for it. It's probably the only thing Season 4 did right. That and John Constantine.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Alright, let's drop the OT debate on shipping and gay characters and get back on topic.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Great news. I enjoyed the first season and never would have thought the 2nd would be coming so soon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
It's getting to the point that it's treated like any other couple
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4