• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legendary Acquires Live-Action Pokémon Film Rights With Production Starting in 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
This movie can ONLY work if it's Devito playing Pikachu OR if they get a real damn good impersonator. He doesn't have to swear but he has to be a bit rude. And throw in a couple of 'damns' and a 'hell' while they're at it.

I don't get this Danny Devito meme.

Detective Pikachu is probably the only way they could even attempt to make a live-action Pocket Monsters film not be horrible, but I'd rather just see an anime adaption like the Mystery Dungeon and Ranger games got a few specials.

-Stuart Smith
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
People complaining about them making a movie about a non localized game. Relax. The game will be localized by then I'm sure.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The rights machine is accelerating and the cards will start to fall quickly now. How will US Luffy, Goku, Naruto and down the line Kenshiro or Guts look like ? Hm.

He might wind up looking something like this

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
So this is going to be about detective Pikachu and not about a boy who dreams of becoming a Pokémon master one day?

Hey hey hey not all of want want to watch 20 something movies of the lead character trying to become a Pokemon master only not to do so do to jobbing or dealing with Team Rocket Plots and Legendaries. Wink
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
That it's Detective Pikachu, of all things, makes me wonder if it's actually Nintendo (or the Pokémon Company International) that's actually looking for a live-action Hollywood adaptation and that they chose Legendary Pictures to do it, not the other way around. That is, maybe Nintendo or TCPi wants to go all-out and make the best-looking companion piece to Detective Pikachu they can muster, and they've reached out to various Hollywood studios, particularly those that specialize in top-notch CGI.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
If you're expecting a Hollywood Pokemon film to be anything other than a movie aimed at elementary school kids, you're just asking to be disappointed. They aren't going to take this franchise and market it to adults, and those designs would terrify 5-year olds.

Indeed. When you aim a movie at children, not only are you getting the tickets to let the parents in (so that's at least one adult admission's price more), if a kid takes a liking to a movie, they're going to want to see it again and again. That's why Hollywood studios can get very competitive over movies aimed at children and will pay top dollar to get them done.

diefty wrote:
WHAT? WHY? 20+ years of pokémon lore and stories and you want to make a movie of a detective game that has practically nothing to do with pokemon. We might be witnessing the biggest trianwreck in terms of movie quality (because it will make some money of the name at least) that can be remembered. We are looking at a Smurf or Chipmunks level movie.

Still haven't made a decent movie based on a mayor japanese anime/game property and they want to try Detective [expletive] Pikachu, just kill me Nintendo, Legendary or whoever is behind this evil plot. Why do Hollywood executives have worst ideas that any moron who has ever played any main series pokemon game? Detective Pikachu, unvelivable.

Smurfs movies and Chipmunks movies make a TON of money. They're very well in touch with what kids like to see. This is the standpoint you have to see these decisions from: Whatever they feel will make them the most money, and whatever type of storytelling kids can't get enough of.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:57 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I can't see this not failing.

In regards to "quality", sure, however if they can sneak it into the Chinese cinema release much like Warcraft the money can be compensated.

Legendary is now owned by a large Chinese company, and actually the same one that is negotiating to buy part of Paramount. So they shouldn't have any issues getting the film in Chinese theaters, especially as Wanda is buying the rest of the company that they don't own.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
Scooby Dooby Doo! Laughing

On the one hand, it's based on a spin-off game that nobody really cares about, so there's nothing to ruin (and it's already in English-speaking Britain).

On the other hand, it's not based on the story that anybody who has ever heard of Pokemon at least knows something about.

Murder, She wrote:

Source: The Hollywood Reporter (Rebecca Ford, Kim Masters)

And what's up with the source pointing ya to Google?
Are we supposed to Google it ourselves? Laughing
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well it looks like pokemon will be ruined for me soon watch as a 47 year old man plays a 11 year old that just short of dog fighting

You mean 4kids dub didn't do that for you?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
@BadNewsBlues That was one of the worst main-stream adoration of all time...
@enurtsol The post apocalyptical Scooby Dooby Doo reboot DC is currently doing is pretty interesting. It even features full blown gore, because Jim Lee demanded it.
@leafy sea dragon Nintendo doesn´t own Pokemon, nor is GO done by them. The rights are pretty complicated actually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I suppose at the very least it's a better alternative than whatever cluttered mess trying to make a movie from the gen 1 main games would more than likely be, but I'm still not expecting anything good.
Yeah, there's no real way to make the "gotta catch 'em all" plot work in a movie, but if you're willing to relax the gen 1 requirement a bit, you could probably squeeze a good story out of a Rocket grunt looking for purpose after some twerp destroys the organization - and then he hears some of his old work buddies are regrouping in Johto...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3