• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evo Fighting Game Tournament to Hold Japan Event

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
e-sports getting big - we were just watching this live on ESPN2

#1 player Korean beat Japanese players on the way to the title

Top American "Long Island Joe" finished 5th

A lot of Nash players
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:51 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
e-sports getting big - we were just watching this live on ESPN2

Man, if only the big wigs like say G4 had the foresight of e-sports, that would have easily saved their channel.

Quote:

A lot of Nash players

That's the thing about these professional fighting game tournaments that gets a little boring to watch; despite the rather large rosters, there's always a handful of characters that always gets picked. I don't even know if there's a fix for that considering that the nature of the game.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
If there's one thing that's kept me interested in EVO and the fighting game genre, it's Daigo Umehara doing a full parry for a comeback against Justin Wong Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:31 am Reply with quote
For most, if not all fighting games, there will always be characters that'll get picked the most at high level competitive play, whether it's because they're effective or otherwise. There's almost no way around it.

Anyway, Infiltration was the favourite to win so it's not surprising, but I was actually hoping for MOV to win. Oh well.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
They aired on ESPN2 and Twitter blew up with angry sports fans wanting baseball.

As for Japan, sure. Just not on ESPN.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
In top 8 of SFV there were 5 different characters represented, so it wasn't really that bad. It's just that 2 of those 5 were knocked out in the first 2 matches of the loser's bracket. That quickly made Nash go from 3 out of 8 of the competitors to 3 out of 6. Part of me wanted R.Mika to win only cause she wasn't Nash though, despite me being a fan of Infiltration.

As for it being on ESPN, it's fine. The production was very well done, though at times in the beginning it felt like the announcer's were competing too much with the ambient audio of the crowd + other noises. Airing ESports on ESPN is comparable to airing Poker or Chess tournaments. They even do Spelling Bees.

Last edited by Barbobot on Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Man, if only the big wigs like say G4 had the foresight of e-sports, that would have easily saved their channel.

Doubtful not everyone likes to watch people playing video games (or reviewing them if they're not going to give it a glowing review.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1