• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Summer 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaRoss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Predominantly a good list. I'm really glad to see that both Days and Cheer Boys have been chosen to be reviewed. I'm planning on doing weekly reviews for one of the two myself on my personal blog! And Danganronpa. Can't wait to read other's thoughts on these two series. The games are some of my favourites and I'm eager to see how they end the Hope's Peak Academy story.

Also, yes, someone grabbed D.Gray-Man. I was so worried it was just being totally ignored when it didn't show up in the preview guide. I'm glad fan polls have made it a viable entry.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to reading the Berserk reviews. Not so much the comment section, as we all know how that's going to go, but more on the discussion of the story. It's such an intriguingly twisted series that I cannot wait to see how the anime goes.

JesuOtaku wrote:
Despite me and Zac's twitter joking, Taboo Tattoo polled bizarrely high tbh.

It's a JC Staff action series, and probably their first pure one since... well last time they adapted a battle light novel series (that wasn't Heavy Object).

It's just too bad, as the series really isn't all that impressive, and ranges on the lower end of the spectrum of manga I've read. That and there were definitely other series that deserved to be followed more than this...
+ 光

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed Boei-bu Too isn't in, and Active Raid S2, but yeah, the numbers don't lie.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
FWIW, Prisma Illya and Cute High Earth LL (or as I like to call it: Boueibu Too!) polled about the same pretty poor numbers. (Fan enthusiasm =/= widespread popularity, we have learned.) We might have been able to mercy-assign them in a lighter season, but this is the bulkiest season ever so far, so there were no mercy-picks to be had.

Both planetarian and Arslan were chosen, but they'll run for 5 and 8 episodes, respectively. So maybe after their run is over?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
All the important stuff is being covered, which to me is all that matters. I don't like this "I am surprised x show that I disliked is being covered" attitude. I assume enough people voted for those titles, and therefore, they are being covered.

RaylenCypher wrote:
Theron. I'm especially looking forward to your reviews on Rewrite. Just like Re:Zero, there's way more stuff beneath the surface.

Starting with the fact that Rewrite visuals look like shit, I don't see how the rest of the episodes can manage to produce something decent, especially if they are as inept and boring as the first episode.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
From everything that I've heard about it and what they did with the anime and why, I'm definitely expecting more than what the first episode showed. It's going to have an uphill battle to get anywhere near Re: Zero's level, but I learned quite a while ago not to discount Key adaptations too early.

Rewrite is the most ambitious title of Key's works. Director Tensho has waited and looked forward to the time that he can animate Rewrite, ever since he did the 2nd OP of the VN, so there will be a lot of love and effort put into the show. From the interview with him, the original voice actors are having fun reprising their roles (especially Kotarou's VA: Morita), so expect some great performances.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Bamboo back! Yet another incentive to check out Love Live Sunshine!!

I really want to know how each show that's not getting a review did in the poll. For example, I voted for Servamp based on the strength of the manga, but I understand that it probably didn't get too much buzz based off its mediocre premiere. I think it'll end up more popular than Taboo Tattoo by the end of the season, or at least, I hope so. I also voted for Regalia, because who wouldn't want to find out how those loli yuri couples make out? Razz (without actually having to watch it myself!) I'm also surprised that the kiddie shows didn't make it. So Puzzles & Dragons garnered enough buzz to be added to the Preview Guide, but not enough to be added to the weekly review schedule. Huh.

Let's see, what else didn't make it? Saiki makes sense because it's basically a short. Neither (or all 3? Not sure if Scar-red counts) boys idol show made it in, which is kind of weird. I guess boys + sports are more popular than boys + music or magical boys. The Outcast was panned, as was HxH and First Love Monster, so those omissions make sense, but both Ange Vierge and Qualidea Code got more middle-of-the-road impressions, so I suppose they just didn't hit it off with viewers who took the poll. In any case, this looks like its going to be a tough season for the reviewers! Gambatte! Smile

Oh, and I wish ReLife were airing weekly just so I could see Theron struggle reviewing Re:Zero, Rewrite and ReLife at the same time! Very Happy
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
RaylenCypher wrote:
Rewrite is the most ambitious title of Key's works. Director Tensho has waited and looked forward to the time that he can animate Rewrite, ever since he did the 2nd OP of the VN, so there will be a lot of love and effort put into the show. From the interview with him, the original voice actors are having fun reprising their roles (especially Kotarou's VA: Morita), so expect some great performances.

I wasn't too fond of Rewrite's first ep either (VN adaptations usually leave a very sour taste in my mouth), but yeah, I agree that Rewrite is probably Key's most ambitious work. I'd even say that most of the Common Route (i.e. the obligatory part where every girl is introduced and generally just hang out with the MC) is just a biiiig bait and switch tactic to hide the real core of the story (it deals with some themes that I very rarely see in anime).

Rewrite is by itself a very messy VN though, and I have very low hopes for this adaptation (I can't believe they managed to moe-fy the characters EVEN MORE)... but well, we'll see how it goes.

Oh, back to the actual topic, everything I voted for got in, so I'm quite pleased with the results. I can kinda understand why Nick got Mob Psycho 100, as he seems to enjoy analyzing the directing and animation quality of a show (both elements that dominate in Mob Psycho), so I'm eager to see what he has to say.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Great lineup, guys. This is the first season that I can remember having more than ten shows I want to keep track of. Daily reviews help keep things straight, so thanks. Surprised
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Thanks for the diversity. Everything I'm watching this season except Cute High made it in and I'm watching twice as much as usual.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
From everything that I've heard about it and what they did with the anime and why, I'm definitely expecting more than what the first episode showed. It's going to have an uphill battle to get anywhere near Re: Zero's level, but I learned quite a while ago not to discount Key adaptations too early.

The downside of this approach being the degree to which Key adaptations are willing to make you wait to get to "the good stuff", as with Clannad, where the best part of the series is the second half of Clannad After Story, or Little Busters!, where the point of the exercise is to endure all the way to Little Busters! Refrain.

I saw a post somewhere that Rewrite is listed at 13 episodes, but that doesn't preclude a whole second season, now does it?
Edl01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Most non sequels that I found interesting are being covered, the only obvious exception is Regalia. It's a shame because I genuinely think the show has potential as an action series, the first episode was definitely a bit messy, but it really didn't take itself seriously and contained a fantastic fight sequence towards the end. It's not gonna win any awards but I had a great time with it.

Fate/Kaleid season 4 not making it doesn't surprise me for the same reason Symphogear season 4 isn't getting reviewed next year. It's season 4 to a franchise that is already only somewhat popular.
Merengues.Pop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that the series I'll be following got into Paul and Gabriella's hands. But this will be the first season I won't be following any of Rebecca's reviews, such a shame.

I was really hoping that Orange and Planetarian were not taken by Nick... It's just that I find myself often agreeing with him a lot, which makes to an insanely stale reading in the long run.

Now I was expecting Qualidea Code to get a daily review; I am not following it but I was hoping someone could provide insight if the show got any better over time. I wasn't expecting much about the mashup work of three LN writers, but I was definitely expecting better character moments from Wataru Watari.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Really surprised that New Game and Amanchu both got in. Guess I'll be reading some streaming reviews for once.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
RaylenCypher wrote:

I wasn't too fond of Rewrite's first ep either (VN adaptations usually leave a very sour taste in my mouth), but yeah, I agree that Rewrite is probably Key's most ambitious work. I'd even say that most of the Common Route (i.e. the obligatory part where every girl is introduced and generally just hang out with the MC) is just a biiiig bait and switch tactic to hide the real core of the story (it deals with some themes that I very rarely see in anime).

Rewrite is by itself a very messy VN though, and I have very low hopes for this adaptation (I can't believe they managed to moe-fy the characters EVEN MORE)... but well, we'll see how it goes.

All of Key's works follow the Nakige storytelling style, in fact, the original members of Key (when they were under a different company) were the one's who invented the formula.

Quote:
Nakige
This type of a story is designed to have an emotional impact on the player and make itself memorable, crying is usual but mostly optional.

It's explained in wikipedia article about KEY like this:
The developers at Tactics created a simple formula for a game: a comedic first half with a heart-warming romantic middle followed by a tragic separation and finally an emotional reunion formed what is known as a "crying game". The main purpose of such a game is to make the player feel for the characters and make them cry due to emotional scenarios which serves to leave a bigger impact on the player after the game is over.

Luckily they're releasing Rewrite+, the updated version with Harvest Festa fandisc, in the West.
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Dang. I was hoping Servamp would make it in. I've been looking forward to it. I hear the manga gets pretty good. I'm really surprised that Taboo-Tattoo made it in and not Servamp. All of my other shows made it in though, so I guess I can't complain too much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8