• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
So, the inn is the save point, right? Because the inn is always the save point. I mean, come on.
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
So, we know Subaru has the scent of the witch on him. The masked men bow to him, presumably recognising the scent and regarding him therefore as an ally. If that means the masked men are servants of the witch it explains why Rem and Ram hate the witch so much (and find it hard to trust Subaru who smells of her); because the witch's servants destroyed their village and killed their family.

The people of this world hate half elves because they are scared of the witch. Now, it seems to me that to be that scared of someone you'd need a good reason - I don't think merely legends and stories that she's really bad would be enough to inspire active terror and hatred in everyday folk. So, perhaps the witch is a current and active malevolent force? Maybe her servants just go around slaughtering villages and no one can stop them (we've seen them do it to at least two villages now) and that's why people are so scared? Or maybe the witch had a specific purpose to attack these two villages (the common link between the attacks we know of being, of course, Ram and Rem. Are they more important to the witch's schemes than we realise?). Satella's motivations and link to Subaru seem like a pretty important plot point, that might not get resolved anytime soon.

Looks like suicide is Subaru's only way out once again. Kind of looks like he decided upon it when he was talking to Crusch - when he's trying to think what he can do, he flashbacks to the time he committed suicide and says there's something only he is able to do. And the next day it seems like Wilhelm picks up on it? He remarks that Subaru has stopped attempting to get stronger (instead just giving up and hitting the reset switch). Maybe it's a dangerous precedent. Can you imagine a Subaru who kills himself to have a do over every time anything doesn't go exactly the way he wants? Seems like a good way to become a true villain. Reset history and destroy the timeline until everything goes exactly as you want it. Though in this instance he's kind of forced into it, with the villagers and presumably mansion household dead once more. (Have you ever read the manga Qualia, about a girl who ends up with a somewhat similar power to bend timelines to her whim (which power naturally evolved from her friend's power to see humans as robots...)).
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I actually think it's possible he continues on to the mansion to get as much information as possible, and ends up getting killed there, maybe by a grieving Ram, or someone under some kind of spell, or a leftover cultist, or in an accident while attempting to save Emilia. I just don't see the show using the suicide reset again, even though I agree it was heavily teased.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
I actually think it's possible he continues on to the mansion to get as much information as possible, and ends up getting killed there, maybe by a grieving Ram, or someone under some kind of spell, or a leftover cultist, or in an accident while attempting to save Emilia. I just don't see the show using the suicide reset again, even though I agree it was heavily teased.

With his current mental and social state, an alternative option is that Sufferu will have a stress-induced heart failure or a stroke. Also, whatever silencing him appears to be actually pressing on his heart everytime it triggers.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I would give the odds to be better than 9/10 that next episode he will meet Beatrice. We'll see what she has to say.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
cloud8100 wrote:

It's nice to see people discussing Subaru and his actions instead of just insulting him like I've seen some do on other sites ¬_¬. Too many have a tendency to automatically hate on any protagonist that seems like an actual person. Although the way he acts may appear wrong (sometimes) its easy to see and understand why he is at that point and how he saw Emilia as an anchor basically as soon as he saw her.

They're just frustrated because this turned out to be TOTALLY DIFFERENT from what anyone expected, people were expecting a brainless, maybe fun Sword Art Online knockoff and instead got a surprisingly complex character study that's currently got near 350 comments and people practically writing essays about. Some people wanted the warm fluffy comforting story where the hero always saves the day and gets the girl, not a protagonist that suffers from extreme PTSD, nervous breakdowns, and obsessive stalker tendencies. Oh and gets the stuffing kicked out of him non-stop.

This show gets two thumbs up from me. Suffering makes for a great story, and just because Subaru can reset time doesn't mean he's able to get away with jack sh*t.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I feel Julius' reasons for beating the crap out of and completely humiliating Subaru are ultimately for Subaru's own benefit.

Notice last episode he said he was going to exact the death penalty on Subaru, but didn't actually end up killing him. If Julius didn't go as far as he did, one of the other knights might've just flat-out murdered Subaru. Instead Julius brutally beat down an opponent who was powerless and pathetic, damaging his own reputation but at the same time convincing the other knights to let the whole thing go.

Julius was being merciful, and was hoping Subaru would learn from the harsh, but necessary, lesson and fix his attitude. Obviously it didn't sink in for Subaru.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Julius was being merciful, and was hoping Subaru would learn from the rather harsh lesson and fix his attitude. Obviously it didn't sink in for Subaru.

Well of course not. Subaru has been *actually killed* several times now, sometimes in very messy ways. Simply beating the crap out of him is probably not going to be as effective against someone who has already experienced that level of trauma.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I feel Julius' reasons for beating the crap out of and completely humiliating Subaru are ultimately for Subaru's own benefit.

Notice last episode he said he was going to exact the death penalty on Subaru, but didn't actually end up killing him. If Julius didn't go as far as he did, one of the other knights might've just flat-out murdered Subaru. Instead Julius brutally beat down an opponent who was powerless and pathetic, damaging his own reputation but at the same time convincing the other knights to let the whole thing go.

Julius was being merciful, and was hoping Subaru would learn from the harsh, but necessary, lesson and fix his attitude. Obviously it didn't sink in for Subaru.

That.... actually sorta makes sense.

huh, see i knew there was something really odd about that fight especially the aftermath since Reinhard told Subaru that Julius lost quite a bit of respect for that stunt.

Sadly as stated Subaru didn't understand his 'kindness' but then again if I had the living daylight beaten out of me my first reaction would be to want nothing to do with the bastard.
JAYOOD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:

They're just frustrated because this turned out to be TOTALLY DIFFERENT from what anyone expected, people were expecting a brainless, maybe fun Sword Art Online knockoff and instead got a surprisingly complex character study that's currently got near 350 comments and people practically writing essays about. Some people wanted the warm fluffy comforting story where the hero always saves the day and gets the girl, not a protagonist that suffers from extreme PTSD, nervous breakdowns, and obsessive stalker tendencies. Oh and gets the stuffing kicked out of him non-stop.
This show gets two thumbs up from me. Suffering makes for a great story, and just because Subaru can reset time doesn't mean he's able to get away with jack sh*t.

Well I think these public frustrations are examples of what Hayao Miyazaki was saying about the current state of Anime. Too many animes are catered to fans who really have no interest in observing real human expression and emotion. Instead they just ingest the same mindless regurgitated stories sprinkled with the same kind of cookie cutter characters and overused tropes over and over again.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Preview for Episode 15: The Outside of Madness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RzROq2OAyY
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I was about to give episode 15 the 5 stars, but it is only 4.5 stars because that extra scene at the end kind of broke the climax. The episode was very intense and well put together. If respawing was not part of this show the scene that ends with Subaru spoiler[getting beheaded] would be a strong contender for my scene of the year.

Even though I am still invested in this series, I am a bit worried with all the new variables that have been introduced in the last few episodes. I am not sure if the producers will manage a decent resolution with 10 episodes to go. I think it is likely that a second series will be made, but I am not counting on it.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I was about to give episode 15 the 5 stars, but it is only 4.5 stars because that extra scene at the end kind of broke the climax. The episode was very intense and well put together. If respawing was not part of this show the scene that ends with Subaru spoiler[getting beheaded] would be a strong contender for my scene of the year.

Even though I am still invested in this series, I am a bit worried with all the new variables that have been introduced in the last few episodes. I am not sure if the producers will manage a decent resolution with 10 episodes to go. I think it is likely that a second series will be made, but I am not counting on it.

If a series whose fundamental premise is to obtain the best outcome is not achieved, then it is ultimately a failure in my eyes.

I'm not putting any eggs in the basket for a second series, so I hope there will be a deviation in the anime from the source material and deliver an original ending.

EDIT: Welp, new key visual and web design for Arc 3.
From the official twitter. https://twitter.com/Rezero_official/status/752187792214536193
Official Website: http://re-zero-anime.jp/
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I was about to give episode 15 the 5 stars, but it is only 4.5 stars because that extra scene at the end kind of broke the climax.

Well I am going to give it five stars because the final scene was fully expected at that point and did not detract from what was prior one whit.

I'm looking forward to what Theron has to say about it. As of this writing he hasn't posted Ep 15 yet.

Betelgeuse makes a hell of a bad guy. I'm always fond of the combination of powerful, amoral, hyper competent and way over the top loony. But what I can't figure out is how he realized Subaru's mind wasn't broken. It looked pretty convincing to me and he had plenty of reason.

The bad guys showing up look pretty overwhelming. Subaru's side is going to have level up major time to get a good ending out of this.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I'm looking forward to what Theron has to say about it. As of this writing he hasn't posted Ep 15 yet.

As am I.

HaruhiToy wrote:
But what I can't figure out is how he realized Subaru's mind wasn't broken. It looked pretty convincing to me and he had plenty of reason.

I was convinced as well with the performance. But when Betelgeuse pointed out in wonder over Subaru's "sane" insanity, I remembered back in Arc 2 of Subaru putting up a happy facade while feeling disgusted on the inside. With that in mind, Subaru acting insane was his way of coping, or in other words, escaping the reality of what he experienced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 73