• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote
I just noticed that both Battery's and Danganronpa 3: Despair's airdate is on the 14th-15th (depending on your timezone). Will they be covered in the Guide?
Edl01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I'm kind of disappointed in Amanchu. I was anticipating some great water fan service, but they only had one scene that was drenched in blue, and the rest was just the most spectacularly boring blue-gray I've ever seen.

If you want Water fanservice than the clear pick for this season is Love Live Sunshine. I've got no clue if you're watching it or not but I will re-iterate what others have said, it's not actually a sequel to the original Love Live but a spin-off with a completely new cast, meaning you really don't need any knowledge of the original to enjoy it.

Even if you have no interest I'd at the very least recommend looking up the Music Video Koi ni Naritai AQUARIUM. It's a PV and only about 5 minutes long, but contains some of the best water animation I've ever seen outside of a Kyoto Animation series.

If you already knew all of that then...have fun with your high quality water animation I guess.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
princess passa passa wrote:
On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest, how bloody and violent is 91 days? Like the sound of the premise but not a fan of over the top violence...

It's done in a very tasteful manner so far. So I'd go with a 2. I don't see it going the route of Baccano which was as violent as you could get.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:20 am Reply with quote
Amunchu, New game and LLS are the clear winners for me.
Regiale has potential , and a bunch of shows still has to air. So i'll see.

Valhern wrote:

I'm...sorry but what part of that exactly made you say that? Just curious..

Its chagen, his hobby is shitting on yuri subtext and ranting on people who don't like BL.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Jacob Chapman (Alderamin) wrote:
Finally, when that young girl starts to panic after they've been shipwrecked, he grabs her roughly by the face and tells her to shut up.

If he hadn't, I would have. They're in enemy territory, voices carry, especially in a cave, and she's yelling her head off. It was the quickest way to quiet her. Of course he apparently had other "reasons" for his actions, but I didn't care, I just wanted her to shut up. But yeah, the rest of his behavior is pretty indefensible. Can't decide if I'm interested in this or not. Now that they're hopefully done spinning their wheels on set-up, maybe something will happen.

This. I will also add that as they are going to become soldiers, and officers no less, seeing a member of the royal family freak out and tell them to do whatever it takes to get her out of enemy territory, which very much could include giving their lives, when they could all live by surrendering (considering their reaction to the idea, I guess their society has rights for prisoners of war that prevent them from being killed arbitrarily or treated inhumanely and don't have a culture of surrender is worse than death, which is better than most anime soldiers can usually ask for) , seems unpleasant to say the least. Certainly, she is only acting her age and that should be taken into consideration, but more is expected of royalty than the average young girl.

As he seems interested in military strategy, it also seemed like a wasteful and poorly thought out approach to deciding on military maneuvers. A commander who is quick to throw their soldiers' lives at problems will end up with more problems and less soldiers. One that loses their cool will also make poor decisions as well.

His womanizing on the boat was creepy and indefensible though.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
I like that Akari made a brief appearance in Amanchu! Laughing

http://imgur.com/6Gndse1
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Part of me expected it to turn into the anime equivalent of a survival crafting game once everybody washed up on a deserted beach, and I'm a little disappointed none of the characters started punching trees in order to get wood.

If that was a Minecraft reference, I love you for it, Paul.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
RaylenCypher wrote:
Quote:
Part of me expected it to turn into the anime equivalent of a survival crafting game once everybody washed up on a deserted beach, and I'm a little disappointed none of the characters started punching trees in order to get wood.

If that was a Minecraft reference, I love you for it, Paul.

Are there other games where you punch trees to get wood?
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
princess passa passa wrote:
On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest, how bloody and violent is 91 days? Like the sound of the premise but not a fan of over the top violence...

I'll second the 2, there was actually not much violence on screen, most of it was off and you'd only see the aftermath. spoiler[Some guy got set on fire but you didn't really see much (his appearance didn't even change in the fire, they just put some big fire over him, and I'm guessing he's not even death and will come back with very little injury).]
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Maaaannn, this summer has so much to watch! I've tried about 8 shows and I still have two more left to try! Gosh! It looks like LL! Sunshine and Cheer Danshi!! will be put on the back burner though because their premieres did not "wow" me. CR killing it this season though, they got everything I'm gunna be following weekly. For the new shows I'm definitely keeping around though:

Orange: Something about this felt so real to me. The characters came out to me as actual people and as someone who is getting older I do find myself regretting little things like not participating enough in certain sport events and so on while I was in highschool. It struck a chord with me. Sure, not read the whole letter was dumb, but hey, whatever. I'm also a little miffed that it was spoiled in one of the previews, but... Nothing can be done now. I'll just watch how they explore the topic. (4/5)

Bouiebu Love Love!: I see a ton of fanservice, the moments are cute, the new twins are hot, and the new transformations are ten times better looking than the old ones. Animation seems to have taken a step up in my opinion and it's just like I remember it! (10/5)

91 Days: Everything about this was flawless to me. The colors are pale and creepy, animation has a distinct flair to it, very fluid at some points! -and the characters interest me a lot at the moment. It had some pacing issues, but I'm mostly just impressed. Setting is great, atmosphere is fantastic, and the music is FLAWLESS. Character names can be a little goofy though, I'm keeping watching though! (4.5/5)

I watched some other stuff, but nothing really of note. All that's left to be checked out is Battery and Mob Psycho 100! Also, I refuse to watch that ridiculous puppet show. They're creepy and need to be put back in their boxes.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
Thunderbolt Fantasy 4/5 I don't even know what to say. I never knew I needed over the top wuxia nonsense in my life. Apparently I do. Hopefully Dan Fei is not going to be completely useless and will actually prove herself to be a capable fighter. Other than that I'm looking forward to the second episode.

Alderamin on the Sky 1.5/5 The first episode felt like an unnecessary long prologue to what seems to be a low-key fantasy war tale. It was so frustratingly boring. Production is limited and the direction is just as inflexible and dull as the designs of the characters who's lack of facial expression makes them act like puppets. At least in Thunderbolt Fantasy they are fancy. And don't get me started on how obnoxious and creepy Ikta is... Just... Bleh.
Caramichael

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
I like that Akari made a brief appearance in Amanchu! Laughing

That is not Akari but I definitly hope she will be voiced act by her seiyuu =3

spoiler[She and her friend are the equivalent of Akari and Aika in the manga and they appeared in 1 chapter and will likely return later.]
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
91 Days: Rarely have I seen an anime go downhill so fast in a single episode. The first half was fantastic, but the second half felt overlong and lethargic, and the main character's sudden appearance really needs some explanation (hopefully that will be forthcoming). But what really killed it for me was the goddamn clownish blonde asshole. What on earth were the showrunners thinking? He does not fit, at all. I rolled my eyes several times throughout the episode and even expressed vocal reactions of annoyance. That was some cringey, Deadman Wonderland shit. Overall, however, I was impressed enough with the overall episode to continue for now. I will be lowering my expectations accordingly, though. 3/5.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
man Alderamin really getting a lot of hate although besides the character introductions could have been done better (though they are trying to be faithful to the source) the whole execution was way better then last season re:zero first ep.

they did what a first act to a new series should do properly, which is introduce the principle characters, establish their relations to each other, their goals, and character revelations without info dumping you, and finally engage the audience to see how the conflict will resolve.

as for planetarium those who complain about yumemi, should see the whole thing through and make yourself feel like an ass due to the reason for her actions, and the whole series is only a feature length movie long which is a fitting time lengths for this story, so complaining that not having time to see this isn't really an excuse.

only sad part about planetarium is that there won't be enough time to adapt the drama cd where yumemi interacts with her creators (the feels that bring after reading the main story is unbearable) though i hope they at least squeeze the stories about the man of the stars in the final ep which would be a good send off.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Despite being an original work, Qualidea Code screams LN, though given that it is written by not one, not two, but three LN writers, that's not surprising. The animation studio certainly brings their A-1 game. I was pleasantly surprised that the sister spoiler[doesn't tragically die in the opening sequence ] as expected of this sort of story. Don't think it will be received well critically, considering the response to the other LNs this season and before, aside from Theron.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 40