• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Anime's 2nd Season Premieres in Spring 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:31 am Reply with quote
Took long enough but yay
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Here's a thought. Will FUNimation give this a simuldub and get it on Toonami ala Space Dandy?

Duh lol. This one of their biggest shows. Probably the biggest anime around the world sans DBZ.
Responder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I'm looking forward to it, but I can't help but wonder whether it's even possible for the show to bounce back to where it was before in popularity.

In Japan, Attack on Titan is still very much popular, and the series is so ingrained in pop culture by this point. The manga (I think) has been selling pretty consistently, and whenever anyone hears the first few seconds of the OP, or sees the colossal titan, they immediately know what it's in reference to. The various OVAs have had some traction, and one could even make the argument that Owari no Seraph and Kabaneri helped keep Titan fresh in everyone's minds. With a strong ad campaign, it could pull everyone back in, but even without one I do think this will have pretty good audience retention. I do agree that they waited too long, but I think an audience is still very much there.

I bet Jacob Hope Chapman will be doing the episodic reviews. Oh, the thousands of words every week... I can't wait. I always felt that he understood the series more than anyone else I've heard from.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 am Reply with quote
The current arc is already probably in it's final stages, so I wonder if maybe they'll cover three arcs instead of two and make the season a little longer.

But yay! Finally a definite date! I'm excited for the first arc season 2 will cover and I think the second one is pretty underrated by many manga readers - some great character writing and elements of moral ambiguity in there. It's biggest flaw is the pacing in my eyes, and if they can fix that, it's all smooth sailing.

I don't really care much about how much it will catch on again. It would be great for the industry again and a lot of people discussing it is a lot of fun, but what matters to me is that they make it as good as they possibly can and this delay could definitely be of great assistance in terms of that.

I'm also for Jacob Chapman doing the weekly reviews, I love his opinions on the series.
blackice85

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
Responder wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I'm looking forward to it, but I can't help but wonder whether it's even possible for the show to bounce back to where it was before in popularity.

In Japan, Attack on Titan is still very much popular, and the series is so ingrained in pop culture by this point. The manga (I think) has been selling pretty consistently, and whenever anyone hears the first few seconds of the OP, or sees the colossal titan, they immediately know what it's in reference to. The various OVAs have had some traction, and one could even make the argument that Owari no Seraph and Kabaneri helped keep Titan fresh in everyone's minds. With a strong ad campaign, it could pull everyone back in, but even without one I do think this will have pretty good audience retention. I do agree that they waited too long, but I think an audience is still very much there.

I bet Jacob Hope Chapman will be doing the episodic reviews. Oh, the thousands of words every week... I can't wait. I always felt that he understood the series more than anyone else I've heard from.

In addition, we also have the AoT PS4 game as well, which released recently in Japan and soon will be in NA and EU. It might not be *as* hyped as back in 2013-2014, but I think it'll still be pretty popular worldwide.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
Is it wrong that I'm not that excited for this?

I feel like a year or two ago, maybe I would have a bit, when I actually watched it. Seeing it now, I'm just not that hyped. It's as if Wit had been holding their breath, and finally let go and took a deep breath out. Glad the rumors can be put to rest and the fans can be happy, but I'm just going to shrug my shoulders and move on. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I will say though, that visual does look quite good.
ETX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote
Nice to see it finally get a scheduled release date but I honestly don't care at all. I read up to the early 50's in the manga before Season 1 came out and I just didn't like it anymore.

Would much prefer for Kabaeri to get a 2nd season but that seems near-impossible.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Here's a thought. Will FUNimation give this a simuldub and get it on Toonami ala Space Dandy?

Duh lol. This one of their biggest shows. Probably the biggest anime around the world sans DBZ.

That's assuming Funimation is even able to get it. Attack on Titan is a Pony Canyon property -- they might hold onto S2 for PonyCan US.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
9 months from now isn't all that far off, all things considered.
AroNoah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:04 am Reply with quote
I have no doubt it will be big within the anime community again. But when Attack On Titan first aired I vividly remember having friends that that never cared for anime getting in to Attack On Titan. So I wonder if it can still reach that transcendent status.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:08 am Reply with quote
Finally, the wait will be over..

Spring 2017. Only 9 more months to go. I look forward to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
Responder wrote:
Of course the manga is still ongoing in Japan and in general manga is more popular than anime over there. So it doesn't surprise me that its maintained a steady flow of popularity over there.

That being said manga in general isn't anywhere near as popular as anime over here in the west. So while a small portion of the fanbase in the west has been keeping up with the manga, the vast majority has got a big fat load of boring nothing these past few years.

If they made this announcement 2 years ago, this thread would have 100 comments by now.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

That's assuming Funimation is even able to get it. Attack on Titan is a Pony Canyon property -- they might hold onto S2 for PonyCan US.

While they can own it, other licensors like funimation, sentai, etc... can have streaming rights and physical releases also. Like ponycanon has anime like clannad, devil survivor 2, wizard barristers, and so forth, but sentai still sells the physical copies and has streaming rights on theanimenetwork. Same goes with funimation for attack on titan and free. Japan likes it when big anime like this get the dub exposure so Im 99% sure funimation will get it again especially after Japan knows they gave them the first season for streaming rights and physical releases.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
As someone who has been keeping up with the manga, I am really excited for this. We'll see what 4 years does to a franchise's popularity, though. My only concern is that, if this doesn't finish out the manga (which it almost certainly won't), will it be popular enough to warrant a third season, and if so, how long that would take. Time will tell.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Not until next year? Damn. Oh well, at least we've got a proper timeframe. Can't wait!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5