• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream D. Gray-man, Servamp, Tales of Zestiria, Danganronpa 3, Love Live! Sunshi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Once again I am reminded that I must have terrible taste, because it appears Funimation has licensed the majority of the shows I am looking forward to next season. Laughing

On the one hand I'm glad that I still have my subscription since I had been thinking that Funi hasn't had a lot of great shows the past couple of seasons, but on the other, Crunchyroll's player is just so much better, that alone makes me kinda sad when Funi gets the simulcast.

Love Live is a real surprise though, but it makes sense that a bigger company would want to grab it now that's it's so popular. But, assuming Funi's dubbing it, I wonder what they'll do if Muse makes a cameo? It'd be a shame for them to recast them.

Simple, either Brina or Todd can record the LA voices of School idol for Sunshine in Todd own home studio. Dont see a problem really.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Have they implemented the new player yet? Have they figure out how to use soft subs yet? Have they figured out how to encode with the proper color range yet?
You forgot to add "Have they figured out how to get competent translators when they license too much?" Translation quality is going to struggle again, joy. A few examples of what happens when they get too much.
https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/687684647057149952
https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/658559214965551107
http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/HorribleSubs-Seraph-of-the-End-02-720p.mkv_snapshot_06.34_2015.04.17_11.36.30.jpg
http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/HorribleSubs-Seraph-of-the-End-02-720p.mkv_snapshot_17.01_2015.04.17_12.38.49.jpg

Anyway, D.Gray-man Hallow I was not expecting given it seems they lied about there being licensing issues with Dentsu, and the actual reason they didn't get the rest was it didn't sell well enough. I hope they know they have to rely on those that watched the rest via fansubs like myself. Sometimes that can work (Shana III), other times it won't (Minami-ke Tadaima).

As for Love Live!! Sunshine, I'm very worried and feel this should have gone to NISA. If this was the FUNimation of like five years ago I wouldn't be worried, now I am (they went from my favorite company to one of my least favorites). Hopefully it will get an actual dub and they'll keep people like Tatum away so they can't make it a memedub. And RIP shelf consistency, especially those with NISA's PE's as FUNi doesn't understand what "consistency" means.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DDragonking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Ahh ok I guess that makes sense but given that it's become pretty popular (I think not to sure on sales/views, though GX volume 1 was Summer's #1) I think it should be given a second chance. After all C3 got a sub release after all this time lol. Or did they have the home rights for it already?

Last edited by DDragonking on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panoptican

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
Rhys2753 wrote:
Really hoping they get arslan s2, mob psycho, and 91 days as well.

They won't get the last two, because Crunchyroll already has them. But they probably will get Arslan.

It's rare, but Funi and CR have shared shows in the past, so it's not completely impossible, just improbable.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
G S Palmer wrote:
Rhys2753 wrote:
Really hoping they get arslan s2, mob psycho, and 91 days as well.

They won't get the last two, because Crunchyroll already has them. But they probably will get Arslan.

It's rare, but Funi and CR have shared shows in the past, so it's not completely impossible, just improbable.
That's only happened only with TV Tokyo, Aniplex, and Anime Consortium Japan shows. There was also Attack on Titan which is Kodansha, but that's the only shared Kodansha stream. Also something interesting about that one... Before | After
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Please don't dub LoveLive Sunshine!! They BUTCHERED the original LoveLive movie with the dub. Their voice acting for that series is EXTREMELY bad.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Please don't dub LoveLive Sunshine!! They BUTCHERED the original LoveLive movie with the dub. Their voice acting for that series is EXTREMELY bad.

Well, I enjoyed it. And you don't have to watch it...
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:

Aww poor baby if only there was some way you'd be able to watch it with the Japanese VA oh wait...... Like Asrialys said don't watch it if you don't like it. The inclusion of a dub will NEVER ruin anything because you don't EVER have to listen to it if you choose not to but plenty of people, myself included, enjoyed the dub so get over it.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people seem really salty about Funis pick ups. I dont know why (nor do i really care) but its cool that they got a lot, nothing i particularly wanna see but cool for others that do. Love live is the biggest surprise as everyone has said, funi just hopped on the hype train. Nothing wrong with that. Get your money however you can.
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
NormanicGrav wrote:
Correction on the UK & Ireland streaming regions:
Only Love Live! Sunshine and One Piece will not be available. The rest are.
Funimation UK Summer 2016 Blogpost

The press release we received has different info, so we're trying to get clarification. Thanks for the heads up!
Misted-Reality

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy they got D.Gray-man. I just hope that means they'll dub the rest of the first series. I also wonder If they'll change their accents to British and not american if they bring the original cast back. They might do a Tokyo Ghoul and Free! and dub the second series first before going back to the first, or they might just leave the second half without a dub. We'll just have to see I suppose. I hope they got get more titles, like 91 days, ReLIFE and Orange. But I'm glad they got the ones so far. Does that mean all these titles are going to get a dub? I'm not sure how it works.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:

Aww poor baby if only there was some way you'd be able to watch it with the Japanese VA oh wait...... Like Asrialys said don't watch it if you don't like it. The inclusion of a dub will NEVER ruin anything because you don't EVER have to listen to it if you choose not to but plenty of people, myself included, enjoyed the dub so get over it.

Just because I don't have to watch it that doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to have an opinion on it. And I do watch both dub and subbed anime. No need to be rude about it. This is what I don't like. If anyone DARES have another opinion other than your own their wrong. I was just stating that it was bad. And it really was.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Just because I don't have to watch it that doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to have an opinion on it. And I do watch both dub and subbed anime. No need to be rude about it. This is what I don't like. If anyone DARES have another opinion other than your own their wrong. I was just stating that it was bad. And it really was.

I wasn't criticizing your opinion for not liking it, you along with everyone else is free to like or dislike anything you so choose, I have no problem with you not liking the dub. Not liking the original series's dub is perfectly fine but asking them to not dub Sunshine when many others DID like the dub just because you didn't like the dub is just silly as nothing is preventing you from ignoring it. Your effectively clamoring for the people who enjoy dubs/Love Lives dub to not have one available to them, less options is never a good answer. I personally am not fond of Japanese VA but I'd never actively advocate and say "Please don't include the Japanese audio in this release, Japanese VA is awful and I just want the disk to be dub only" that's just silly. I was not trying to be rude so my apologies if it looked that way and have zero problems with you disliking the dub but my reply was based off of the way you phrased your original comment.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:

I wasn't criticizing your opinion for not liking it, you along with everyone else is free to like or dislike anything you so choose, I have no problem with you not liking the dub. Not liking the original series's dub is perfectly fine but asking them to not dub Sunshine when many others DID like the dub just because you didn't like the dub is just silly as nothing is preventing you from ignoring it. Your effectively clamoring for the people who enjoy dubs/Love Lives dub to not have one available to them, less options is never a good answer. I personally am not fond of Japanese VA but I'd never actively advocate and say "Please don't include the Japanese audio in this release, Japanese VA is awful and I just want the disk to be dub only" that's just silly. I was not trying to be rude so my apologies if it looked that way and have zero problems with you disliking the dub but my reply was based off of the way you phrased your original comment.

Seriously? Just because I even said my opinion that's why you said your comment? And yes your comment came off as rude. But just because everyone else says it's good that doesn't mean my opinion doesn't matter. And how is my opinion automatically silly? It's not silly just because I choose not to ignore it. That makes no sense. If i have an opinion I get to voice it. If other people don't like it then they can IGNORE it.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Seriously? Just because I even said my opinion that's why you said your comment? And yes your comment came off as rude. But just because everyone else says it's good that doesn't mean my opinion doesn't matter. And how is my opinion automatically silly? It's not silly just because I choose not to ignore it. That makes no sense. If i have an opinion I get to voice it. If other people don't like it then they can IGNORE it.

I made a comment saying that it was silly to say that something shouldn't exist because you personally didn't like it, nothing more nothing less, but I can see this is leading no where so I'm dropping it, good day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6