• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRNielson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I got done watching Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The show felt less of a story and more of a crime-of-the-day run. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it. The quickies of The Days of Tachikoma at the end of every episode were adorable. Anime catgrin

I honestly thought the Tachikomas were the best part of the show (for me). Tanks with the personalities of children yet possessing artificial intelligence? Where the hell do I get one? In all seriousness, the way they would interact with eachother and just "discuss" things were so entertaining for me. I seriously want a Tachikoma.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
I honestly thought the Tachikomas were the best part of the show (for me). Tanks with the personalities of children yet possessing artificial intelligence? Where the hell do I get one? In all seriousness, the way they would interact with eachother and just "discuss" things were so entertaining for me. I seriously want a Tachikoma.

Their curiosity of human life was what made Stand Alone Complex such a fun show in the midst of the dark, sobering moments going on there. Smile
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I got done watching Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The show felt less of a story and more of a crime-of-the-day run. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it. The quickies of The Days of Tachikoma at the end of every episode were adorable. Anime catgrin

The Tachikomas were my personal favorite aspect of GITS:SAC too. So adorable. I mean, their very concept could easily be twisted into a psychotic antagonist type, or an annoying failure of comic relief, but they're not. They're genuinely funny in a show that REALLY needs some lightening up.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
So I'm ½ way through Bokurano and I can't say that that I'm enjoying it because right now it's shaping to end up in epic Greek tragedy proportions. Seriously, the children are spoiler[dying like flies and what's worse is that all of their backstories are fleshed out] before each inevitable denouement.

Makes me feel like slitting my own wrists. spoiler[Counting the dead children in the OP doesn't help, either.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
If you're feeling that way at the midpoint, I don't think you're going to like where it goes from there. Smile Dark and depressing though it was, I still liked it overall.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
So I'm ½ way through Bokurano and I can't say that that I'm enjoying it because right now it's shaping to end up in epic Greek tragedy proportions. Seriously, the children are spoiler[dying like flies and what's worse is that all of their backstories are fleshed out] before each inevitable denouement.

Makes me feel like slitting my own wrists. spoiler[Counting the dead children in the OP doesn't help, either.]

I'd genuinely recommend reading the manga afterward. It's an interesting compare/contrast, like 2003 to Brotherhood.

Also, while I watch ZZ Gundam, may I just say that after Fist of the North Star and a few other 70s/80s anime, it's SO refreshing to see female characters written with a prominent role that isn't defined by the men in their lives? I mean, Haman Khan has such an interesting personality, set of goals, and way of operating. Heck, I find her crush on Judeau to be interesting so far. Lets hope they don't ruin it.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:10 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'd genuinely recommend reading the manga afterward. It's an interesting compare/contrast, like 2003 to Brotherhood.
I find it interesting how Carlos Santos is so tepid about the volumes that he reviews – but the user ratings are quite intriguing.

EDIT:
TV Tropes wrote:
Warning: Watching Bokurano may cause depression. Proceed with caution.
Very wise advice.
Ur #1 Softey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Ok I recently finished attack on Titan and I started watching Iron blooded orphans only the beginning of the first season like the first 9 episodes so far and may I just say I'm totally in love with it I'm sooooo obsessed with it and I don't even watch animes that much honestly. What I like most about iron blooded orphans is the character development and all the action and conflict. I think it's pretty exiting to watch there is also some romance too. Iron blooded orphans Season 2 airs on toonami at midnight right after Dragon ball Z . Though I wish it was a little more popular , but if you like amines with action and violence or if your a gundam fan you should definitely watch it
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Makes me feel like slitting my own wrists.

Why? Children or not over half of them are total idiots or sociopaths, some of them get a catharsis/punishment.
Quote:
Watching Bokurano may cause depression.

I've seen depressing things, Bokurano is a joke that had no idea what it wanted to be. I'm not just saying that because it's just fiction either.

Now lets see what I'm a watchin'- Oh hey episode 4 of Monster, the one that would "never pick up for me".... It kind of did, granted I'm not impressed by the main villain. "look doctor i am a generic sociopath that plans things and speaks in whispers and may or may not be able to kill people just by looking at them." So he's a male gorgon? A basilisk? Gotta admit that disguise fooled me! Not impressed though. Some lackluster animation aside it seems to be fine, now to take on the second episodes of other things I am watching:

-Overlord: So this isn't an adventure story, this is basically some spider-theme concubine fighting for her master's affection against a vampire loli. Welp, this went down hill fast!

-Ushio and Tora season 2: They're really forcing emotional moments this hard? Like Gundam Age and Valvrave levels of sap? And why did the yokai suddenly get evil? And why does Tora not like his humans cooked? And now an evil twin? spoiler[Also Mayuki gets powers without build up WHY? Gotta admit I'm interested in Tora's new evil twin, Guren.] Top that off with bad animation in the fight scenes and this spell disappointment.

-Karneval: So this is what happens when you mix Men in Black with Guyver and give it an early 20th century carnival theme. Kind of disorganized, but nothing too bad so far.

-Akame ga Kill: Don't you love it when a somewhat decent first episode goes into bad forced comedy, an uninteresting and borderline unlikable cast, not showing the villainous activities of the crooks they kill, random ecchi, and so little action with wolf girl not booted from the story in the next? My reaction is too pathetic for just text, so I'm going to use a plush of Fukubouchu from Star Driver to make the following macro!

-Angelic Layer: Pacing is slow and kinda girly, otherwise nothing too stupid.... Did CLAMP learn from their mistakes in the 90s and Chobits? This is.... Actually decent, perhaps even good.... And now it hit me for the stuff I'm currently watching: The anime aimed for girls are actually competent while the ones aimed for boys are cringe inducing. I have to admit this is a first for me, mainly because I rarely touch shojo anime ever. Laughing
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked the Bokurano manga! And while I didn't care for the anime, I fail to see how more than four of the kids was a sociopath.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
-Angelic Layer: Pacing is slow and kinda girly, otherwise nothing too stupid.... Did CLAMP learn from their mistakes in the 90s and Chobits?

Angelic Layer was actually written first.
The Chobits manga made a few references to characters from Angelic Layer, but those were left out of the anime.

Also, for what it's worth, Angelic Layer was a shounen manga.

If I had to pick one I would take Angelic Layer over Chobits. but I do like both of them, anime and manga.

To get on topic I will say that I am watching Heaven's Lost Property Forte right now, because harem comedies are currently my favorite type of anime.
This is actually the third time that I have watched it. It just keeps getting funnier every time, partly because I still notice things that I had missed before.
I also liked the first season, but Forte is better because of the addition of Astrea to the cast.
I am listening to the dub and everybody sounds good to me. Carli Mosier as Astrea and Jamie Marchi as Mikiko are especially great. I admit that I did not really like the voice that Greg Ayers was using for Tomoki, but I got used to it quickly and now I like it too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
So, episode 5 of Monster, it can be summed up as "hmm you know in hindsight talking to a boy about bloody war stories might not be a great idea". Also it rips off Halloween.
Quote:
Angelic Layer was a shounen manga.

Oh, thanks for informing me, Touma. Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
It has been awhile, but if memory serves, the creepy, weird professor in Angelic Layer is supposed to be the (now deceased) creator of the CHOBITS androids. CLAMP is notorious for reusing characters.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time wasn't as grand as I remembered it. Entertaining at first, but the final act felt rushed and the romance felt a little phoned in. His future works all felt better written in terms of the conclusion. The characters were likable, but none of them stood out as much as the Grandma from Summer Wars or the wide cast from The Boy and the Beast or Wolf Children. I like a simple but effective story, but the ending spends too much time on this romance that it only got interested in at the last second. I probably would have liked it if it picked one or the other between the comedic girl abusing her time leaping abilities, and the heartfelt tragic romance. Even a balance between the two from the start would've been fine. I changed my rating from Excellent to "Good." I'm not even sure if it earns itself a "Very Good."
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
So update time, Monster up to ep 6 while the others at ep 3:

-Monster: Yup, this series rips off Halloween, the only difference is that Yohan speaks in whispers and the setting is Germany. Now the question is how many other slasher movie references can be stuffed in. The plot is fine, everything else though is not that impressive, the pacing and animation seem slow and cheap, respectively.

-Ovelord: SO. MUCH. TALKING. PLEASE SHUT UP AND- Oh hey some action- Oh wow it's gone. Sad At least the pacing and art are still intact.

-Ushio and Tora Season 2: So after a series of lazy eps we finally get more plot relevant! And lots of back story spoiler[Tora is a member of a species, said species are former Beast Spear wielders, Guren was one, Hyo is back and it is revealed Guren was the yokai that killed his wife and child, and good foreshadowing.]

-Karneval: So the MC was an animal turned human and hologram rocks are a thing in this setting. The pacing slowed down and it could use more action, but it still feels like it has something going for it.

-Akame ga Kill: ...........One of the main protagonists murdered someone that begged for mercy........ And their crime was trying to find their hideout for money, likely not even being members of the capital.......... This reminds me of Black Lagoon, specifically Revy, and she was a total monster so awful you feel bad for Nazis. At least the minister in charge of the capital maintains order, these protagonists here are terrorists. There is nothing else to them, they claim to fight for a greater good, but have no trouble doing the exact same heinous murders.......... What makes them different from the antagonists again? At least Light from Death Note knew the crimes of those being taking out, usually warranted termination, and nearly brought about peace among humans. The Night Raid though? This is anarchy and sick pleasure, this is Dark Knight trilogy Joker, the only difference is not as many Y chromosomes and being nonchalant about it. I feel genuinely repulsed. And then there is the idiot guard: "yes I should aim for the back torso of the guy holding me up rather than aiming for the spinal column on his neck that could paralyze him below that point" and topping that off with such a slow and drawn out reaction time by the sniper that looks like Saya from Highschool of The Dead (who is okay with murdering cohorts for the crime of *gasp* not knocking at first! IT IS CALLED A DOOR LOCK!). Supposedly some chick named Eseduth or whatever is supposed to show up and she makes the anime power level chart, kind of hoping she goes on a successful termination rampage against these inhuman agents of evil in the coming episodes. Gotta admit, making something gut wrenchingly bad in three episodes is something only code red levels of bad like Samurai Champloo ever accomplished.

Edit: Oh it's spelled Esdese.

-Angelic Layer: Wow this pacing is slow.... Decent otherwise.

Last edited by DuelGundam2099 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 908 of 1063