• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Confirms Future 'High-End' PlayStation 4 with Ultra-HD Support

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
There's no way they're releasing this for 4K resolution in games. Gotta imagine this is for 4K video content: streaming, UHD Blu-rays, etc. This will probably stabilize 1080p at 60fps for games that don't lock at 30fps. Beyond that, anyone expecting 4K gaming on this thing for new releases are gonna be disappointed.

HellKorn! How the devil are you, old boy?
It disheartens me that graphical fidelity holds such a sway over the market. 60fps at 1080p was attainable on standard hardware a decade ago, and yet consumers' insatiable lust for on-screen triangles demands ever more megaflops-atop-megaflops just to maintain the status quo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
.. At that point you might as well just build a PC.

That would be a foolish thing to do unless someone actually likes port begging for console games because there's no guarantee said games will come to PC.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
RoverTX wrote:
.. At that point you might as well just build a PC.

That would be a foolish thing to do unless someone actually likes port begging for console games because there's no guarantee said games will come to PC.

Have you looked at steam recently? Square Enix puts almost everything out on PC now. So does Bandai Namco, and american studios have already been doing so for years! Disgaea 5 is the only game on the PS4 that doesn't have a PC version for it that I have bought so far. I don't count Bloodborne being as it was just Dark Souls 2.5.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a 4K tv, so this doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'd be interested in seeing what games would come out for it.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that they haven't mentioned anything about what kind of optical drive it will have. Given the focus on the console supporting 4K, I'd have thought including this in the system would have been a no-brainer. Maybe they'll announce it at the unveiling.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
There's not much reason for a current PS4 owner to upgrade if they don't have a 4K TV and aren't planning on getting one this generation, but I'd upgrade in a heartbeat if the form factor in the model allowed 15mm 2.5" HD's instead of just the 9mm ones. This would allow greater storage without having to resort to "hacks" like external drive cases and/or eSATA cords. Going to a full-fledged 3.5" drive bay is probably a step too far (and removes compatibility with PS3 drives, etc) but it would make sense for them to allow the best and largest 2.5" SATA drives we can get to fit in.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
This is why I haven't bought a PS4 yet.

Same. I'm surprised anyone is surprised. I expected this long before the PS4 even became available for sale.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
so is this like the official slim ?

PS4 probably will drop to $300 since xbox one is already $300

so the PS4 neo (or whatever they will call it) will be $350?
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
To do 4k @30FPS it would need the equivalent of two GTX 1080s... At that point you might as well just build a PC. Even NIS is putting put all of it's new games for the PC now.

You can do 30fps @ 4K with a single 970, now 60 does require more horsepower, though you don't need dual 1080s that's probably the current best option as far as price goes. It's not out yet, but I think dual 1070s might be able to handle it as well, but reviews will tell
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
The only thing I hate is the BS upgrade argument. If people were constantly spending money on upgrading PCs....they wouldn't freaking buy consoles! Good job Sony, you just completely undermined the main advantage of console gaming.

Not really since this upgrade is only for people who already own 4K televisions and could conceivably buy this new system in the first place.

RoverTX wrote:
[

Have you looked at steam recently? Square Enix puts almost everything out on PC now.

Remembering all the money they blew on the production of Final Fantasy 13, 14, Versus 13 they kind of need to do something to recoup those losses Razz
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote
People are afraid games would be optimized for the Neo while gimping it for the PS4 gamers. If rumors hold true, there's a big difference between the Neo and PS4 - even larger than between the PS4 and XB1. If people think games on the PS4 are being gimped for the XB1, imagine how much games would be gimped with the wider difference between Neo and PS4.

Developers aren't too thrilled about with this development neither:

Aphasial wrote:

There's not much reason for a current PS4 owner to upgrade if they don't have a 4K TV and aren't planning on getting one this generation, but I'd upgrade in a heartbeat if the form factor in the model allowed 15mm 2.5" HD's instead of just the 9mm ones. This would allow greater storage without having to resort to "hacks" like external drive cases and/or eSATA cords. Going to a full-fledged 3.5" drive bay is probably a step too far (and removes compatibility with PS3 drives, etc) but it would make sense for them to allow the best and largest 2.5" SATA drives we can get to fit in.

Dunno why Sony won't just allow external USB hard drives to save PS4 games like the XB1 allows. Such a simple solution.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
@enurtsol I know how to build a PC and the difference between my PS4 and my (now retooled) Xbone is barely worth mentioning if one just wants to develop a 30 fps driven cinematic game.
The jump to Xbox 3,5 and PS 4,5 won´t move the needles in a way that the average consumer would detect either, due to the stagnation of the tech market. A bigger hard drive, 4K support (anti-aliasing and increasing resolutions are the true hardware killers) and room for proper VR support should be the goals. None what will be unveiled next week will be able to touch my PC anyway, unless they want to go 800$+, which can´ t happen. Shrug.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Bonham wrote:
There's no way they're releasing this for 4K resolution in games. Gotta imagine this is for 4K video content: streaming, UHD Blu-rays, etc. This will probably stabilize 1080p at 60fps for games that don't lock at 30fps. Beyond that, anyone expecting 4K gaming on this thing for new releases are gonna be disappointed.

HellKorn! How the devil are you, old boy?
It disheartens me that graphical fidelity holds such a sway over the market. 60fps at 1080p was attainable on standard hardware a decade ago, and yet consumers' insatiable lust for on-screen triangles demands ever more megaflops-atop-megaflops just to maintain the status quo.

lol I'm doing pretty good. I've just posted sporadically around here, and mostly have been sticking with manga, video games, and film for my nerd hobbies. How about you?

I do think it's unfortunate that the initial PS4 and XBone releases had to have such old hardware for release. It's not so much an issue for me (I built my own PC for video editing and gaming), but I do think they should have met the standard of 1080p 60fps, which is soon to become outdated given how 1440p and 4K monitors and televisions are coming down in price, and graphics cards advancing as they are. I expect 1440p 144fps to be the new expected benchmark in a little bit...

Covnam wrote:
RoverTX wrote:
To do 4k @30FPS it would need the equivalent of two GTX 1080s... At that point you might as well just build a PC. Even NIS is putting put all of it's new games for the PC now.

You can do 30fps @ 4K with a single 970, now 60 does require more horsepower, though you don't need dual 1080s that's probably the current best option as far as price goes. It's not out yet, but I think dual 1070s might be able to handle it as well, but reviews will tell

True, but it entirely depends on the game. Obviously you can get something like that with Dishonored, but something more recent like Rise of the Tomb Raider?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
True, but it entirely depends on the game. Obviously you can get something like that with Dishonored, but something more recent like Rise of the Tomb Raider?

True as well, always depends on the game.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
lol I'm doing pretty good. I've just posted sporadically around here, and mostly have been sticking with manga, video games, and film for my nerd hobbies. How about you?

Good, good! I am officially watching anime again, hence my recent reappearance here.
In truth I lack much time for video games—it would take something of the likes of Gran Turismo 7 for me to be wooed by the current console generation. Indeed, you can acquire many goodies for the price of a Playstation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2