• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk TV Anime's Teaser Video Previews 9mm Parabellum Bullet's Theme Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
The CG doesn't look too bad, and it's not like the first series was animated well, anyway. As long as the story's good, I can live with CG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ssj1236

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
It looks absolutely [expletive] disgusting Very Happy
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't get why people are complaining so much about the animation. With the exception of a handful of weird faces, it looks way better than I thought it would. The style of shading also does wonders for the look and feel of the visuals, as well. It seems like most people shitting on the visuals are just doing so based on a knee jerk reaction to cgi in general, without considering how it actually looks, and without considering the advantages inherent to the medium.
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
I don't usually comment but holy moly a good number of you are ridiculous. The cg isn't disney/pixar quality but it's still pretty darn solid and is presented well. For everyone saying "blah blah ps2 quality cutscene" you're so full of it. Face the fact that CG is the absolute only way we can get a Berserk anime without having another slideshow. For TV animation on a weekly basis this is impressive.

The art in Berserk is some of the most technically impressive in manga EVER. Handdrawn animation would be amazing but realistically it'd take forever and cost way too much to do justice to the manga. The presentation is on point and it looks visually interesting at least.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
The CG looks decent for the most part,besides some really bad shots. Am a believer that you could makeup for sub-par animation with good shot composition and sound design (something that the recent Ajin did a fantastic job with).

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Ok so I'm not totally against CG. I liked Knights of Sidonia even if the character movements were jerky at times. But this new Berserk so far looks really poor to my eyes. It doesn't have the mech fights or the environments that benefited from CG like KoS. Its mostly Guts traveling around fighting humans and monsters which looking at the trailer doesn't even seem to be at current levels of high video game quality. Then there's the pencil shading technique which I've never been a fan of which often seems out of place when used and it looks atrocious on these characters. Also Farnese looks horrible! I think the only character in the trailer that came out looking ok was Puck.

For me, they are going to have to really rely heavily on doing a good job with the story to keep me watching. It doesn't have to be a direct copy of panel for panel. I'm ok if they leave stuff out, but if they don't capture the spirit of the story (like they failed to do in the movies imho) then I'm not going to last much more than a few episodes. The original anime with all of its visual quality issues, pacing problems and abrupt ending managed to capture better the relationships between the characters and the overall horror lurking in the world. I'll give this a shot, but based on what I've seen so far I'm not hopeful.
Echii

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
The visuals look ok to me

I don't care that much about visuals, I'm just happy that we got berserk anime which is better than noting.
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
If onlyyy it was digitally animated. Seeing the CG in this trailer just turned me off completely.
nagpo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
Yup, looks just as bad as everyone thought it would. They shouldn't even air it.
Echii

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
Yup, looks just as bad as everyone thought it would. They shouldn't even air it.

And why is that ?!

Not everyone is obsessed with visuals like you do. I watch anime for a story, not visuals.

Also, the visuals don't look bad to me (at least it is much better than Kingdom anime)
Chacranajxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
ShinuZERO wrote:
I don't usually comment but holy moly a good number of you are ridiculous. The cg isn't disney/pixar quality but it's still pretty darn solid and is presented well. For everyone saying "blah blah ps2 quality cutscene" you're so full of it. Face the fact that CG is the absolute only way we can get a Berserk anime without having another slideshow. For TV animation on a weekly basis this is impressive.

The art in Berserk is some of the most technically impressive in manga EVER. Handdrawn animation would be amazing but realistically it'd take forever and cost way too much to do justice to the manga. The presentation is on point and it looks visually interesting at least.

It's not that the visuals themselves look that terrible -- the problem is that it's so choppy. And for no damn reason.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Are we gonna see horse rape?
Chacranajxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
Are we gonna see horse rape?

Dat CG dong tho
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Well they've certainly come a long way from Dragon Age: Dawn of the Suck.

And I [expletive] love Dragon Age!
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Personally for me, I just don't like CG. The art style of it is simply horrible. It's tolerable when it's in games, but for an anime where the whole point of the product is to be free flowing and animated beautifully, the CG completely misses that point. To me at least. When I watch it, it truly doesn't feel like an anime anymore, but rather something else. I'm honestly disappointed that Berserk's new anime is going to go down that road since it's one of my childhood favorites, but whatever. I'll hold down any further judgement until I can watch a couple of episodes first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4