• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Love Live! Sunshine!! is Summer 2016's Most Anticipated Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised that Amanchu! didn't rank at all. I guess there's not as many ARIA fans that latched onto Amanchu! as I thought there would be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
I wonder if Sunshine! is a good place to jump into the franchise? I honestly don't want to watch the other two (three?) seasons, and I already have my hands full trying to catch up to D.Gray-man...

I doubt it will be. As much as the Love Live movie existed for the sake of callbacks to the series and for giving the audience exactly what they wanted, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sunshine is painfully self-aware of the expectations that current LL fans have coming in to it and is built for that… which would then make it more difficult to pick up as a first look at the franchise.

The existing two seasons are among the most popular anime of the decade in Japan… I'd go so far as to say the essential entries in the anime canon for this decade so far are Madoka Magica, Attack on Titan, and Love Live. So if you're not interested in the two seasons of the show that have already achieved landmark status, maybe the whole franchise isn't gonna be your thing (and that's totally fine, BTW, idols are not everyone's bag)
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Tensai GinAce wrote:

I agree. but that's because most of the men who vote for these types of stuff are the Japanese otakus that have a room overflowing with moe girls and erotic figures. probably explains why Love Live is at #1
I personally consider Love live and its fans to be cancer and that it keeps making Anime's reputation in general worse and worse.... but every person has different tastes and opinions.

Love Live is a phenomenon that is much more than specific to otaku. Goes from young kids (male/female to adults (male female). If you go to any cosplay event in Japan there is a big chance than more than half of females cosplayers are in Love Live cosplay. If this show are doing anything is bringing more young fans to anime.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tensai GinAce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Tensai GinAce wrote:
I agree. but that's because most of the men who vote for these types of stuff are the Japanese otakus that have a room overflowing with moe girls and erotic figures. probably explains why Love Live is at #1
You do realise that the show is at number 2 for women right?

Quote:
I personally consider Love live and its fans to be cancer and that it keeps making Anime's reputation in general worse and worse.... but every person has different tastes and opinions.
Why is it always some niche cutesy show non anime fans have probably never heard of that's ruining anime's reputation?

Also, bit of a tangent, but you can't just say something like that and follow it up with 'But hey, that's just my opinion!'

yeah now I see how stupid my comment was... sorry about that
I just had a really annoying experience with a love live fan (not giving any excuse to my comment)
Tensai GinAce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Tensai GinAce wrote:

Love Live is a phenomenon that is much more specific to otaku. Goes from young kids (male/female to adults (male female). If you go to any cosplay event in Japan there a big chance than more than half of females cosplayers are in Love Live cosplay. If this show are doing anything is bringing more young fans to anime.

I already know that. i'm not talking about that kind of stuff.
Some fans are paying money to those characters , and some are literally worshiping them
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Tensai GinAce wrote:

I already know that. i'm not talking about that kind of stuff.
Some fans are paying money to those characters , and some are literally worshiping them

I agree.There are always someone going over the top.
And liken you said in another comment. Some Love Live fans are very annoying and we can't have a civilized talk with them. Well, like with other big shows fans.

Anyway im looking for it. .

And good to see Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei!! raking. Finally are going to the best part of the story so far.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Near perfect top 3 but New Game being 12th is terrible, there's still some bad taste around.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Rewrite, Orange, and Amanchu for me.

And sure, I'll check out Prisma Illya and Sunshine.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Muffum wrote:
Some of these rankings confuse me, like how Active Raid is in both the men and women's top 10 rankings, while Mob Psycho 100's in neither, but Mob Psycho 100's higher than Active Raid in the cumulative.

Unless I'm just hallucinating from having too much blood in my alcohol stream, the source lists Arslan Senki: Fuujin Ranbu as #7 among women, whereas this article has Active Raid in that spot, which would explain the discrepancy.

Fixed, thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cetais

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Muffum wrote:
Some of these rankings confuse me, like how Active Raid is in both the men and women's top 10 rankings, while Mob Psycho 100's in neither, but Mob Psycho 100's higher than Active Raid in the cumulative.
There may have been more males than females who votes for Active Raid.

Like, if Active raid received 5 females votes and 32 male votes, while Mob Psycho 100 received 20 males and 20 females votes.
(Numbers are fictions)

It's just the fact that it's a top 10 male and a top 10 female, while the two together makes a top 20.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I only voted for one show: Orange. I wish I could be excited about more new shows, but, unfortunately for me, the upcoming Summer season is not looking so hot to me.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Voted for D.Gray-man Hallow and Orange. My friend and I are super hyped for these two (especially Hallow).

Danganronpa and Arslan are somewhat up there, but I haven't been planning on watching them like DGM or Orange. To be honest, I haven't really looked at what's airing next season, compared to the current season which I've been waiting to air for a long time.
I've been meaning to see what's airing, so I guess the best time to do it is now.

I could care less for Love Live, though. Was never my thing.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Had to stretch the definition of anticipate just to reach three.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Every time I take a look at these lists I seem to like the women's taste much better. I still haven't seen Love Live.

I voted for D.Gray-man Hallow, Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan and Handa-kun.

I think it's just coincidence in my case. Like it's for the same dubious reasons as male viewers who tend to support what shows have the cutest looking girls in them, it's just that when it comes to shows with character designs that are attractive to female viewers they tend to have more meat to them and just pick up that interest as a result of an after thought. When it comes to shows aimed at male viewers though they seem to have one and only one goal in mind.

Of course then you have shows like Love Live where they manage to pick up both but that's Sunrise for you. They have a very old school day time anime oriented approach to things where they try to make their shows as inclusive as possible with potential demographics rather than exclusive like what happens with a lot of modern late night otaku type stuff. They're really the only studio I know of that has a fair number of franchises with non-skewed demographics including men, women, young children and even a 30+ crowd in the case of Gundam, Yamato 2199 and of all things Aikatsu.

FenixFiesta wrote:
Muffum wrote:

Because in truth it is probably a "low count" survey which probably has barely a few thousand votes in total (which is still probably lenient for a brief internet tally).

It's a charapedia poll so yeah it does have a low sample count. I wouldn't take it as anything definitive.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Tensai GinAce wrote:
You do realise that the show is at number 2 for women right?

Quote:
Why is it always some niche cutesy show non anime fans have probably never heard of that's ruining anime's reputation?

Also, bit of a tangent, but you can't just say something like that and follow it up with 'But hey, that's just my opinion!'

Wow people continue to be astonishingly off base when it comes to Love Live's popular and the reasons for it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised from a Western fanbase that nowadays is utterly clueless as to why something like say Gundam The Origin or Girls und Panzer could be huge hits. People just have a bizarrely narrow and off base viewpoint when it comes to anime nowadays probably relating to how Crunchyroll Hype popularity tends to dominate impressions of the scene now.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Love Live Sunshine, Orange, Taboo-Tattoo...These three shows have my attention.

Plus, special thanks to ANN for also mentioning Puzzle and Dragons X in the poll. I didn't think that show would be brought up considering how the advertising for it went largely unnoticed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4