• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
stowrag wrote:
I hated the tone shift towards humor the first time I watched ZZ. It just never seemed to have a place in a war drama, which is what I always thought Gundam was supposed to be about. I think I might be more receptive to it today. I doubt I'll ever enjoy watching Moon Moon though.

What really got to me was the complete 180 Haman's character takes spoiler[when she seemed to change from a master manipulator trying to rule the universe through a puppet child dictator to someone who apparently genuinely thought a 10 year old would make a good ruler for the universe.]

That, and the spoiler[Sayla Ex Machina.]

But yeah, Roux is amazing at least.

Ex Machina ? what does that supposed to mean.

They are referring to the sort of Deus Ex Machina of how suddenly Sayla is incorporated into ZZ for one big reason and nothing else. That being: spoiler[ she happens to save Leina out of the blue when she apparently died unbeknownst to Judau and everyone else that she was still alive. ] I believe Tomino did have a few cuts of Sayla before that big plot point dropped, but it was kind of subtle, and that she just so happened to have such a big part by coincidence is a bit weird. Even spoiler[ Leina's "death" ] almost seemed like a cop-out, Judau couldn't "sense" them and was trying to just carry on until suddenly he just DOES at one point, and I've heard some say they saw that person escaping in a brief shot or something, but all I saw was Judau holding their shoe which didn't really mean much at the time, especially considering the aforementioned bit of him not sensing that person's presence anymore and grieving. I mentioned earlier though that I do like that Tomino used certain plot points to make Judau become more involved and shape his resolve into something more meaningful and larger than it was before, and I'm also partly glad that there was that "cop-out" in a sense, because it served as a nice reward at the end of it all to make the ending even happier after 150 episodes of strife. Although I wish spoiler[ my poor Purus got to live Anime cry.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
This is why it's always risky to have Tomino do two series back to back; it results in serious whiplash.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Minor correction to the article that I did not see addressed, though someone may want to check how well this qualifies as a "correction" - Anime Daisuki/DAISUKI.NET actually did an official, English run of the entire Gundam ZZ series on their streaming service in the past. It was allegedly the first time it was broadcast in any form in English with the official Gundam license behind it (according to their press release). The original announcement was at Anime Expo back in 2013 if I'm not mistaken.

I lament that Gundam ZZ gets a ton of flak. Especially sitting next to Reconguista in G, the show is a lot more pleasant & fitting to the rest of the UC Gundam timeline than its negative critics would suggest (Reconguista doesn't get that luxury sadly). It really bothers me that the newer Zeta Gundam movies tried to wipe Double-Zeta out & bridge the story to Char's Counterattack, as you miss a lot of the politics and emotion surrounding that point in the UC timeline by skipping ZZ.

To anyone watching Gundam ZZ for the first time, possibly consider letting some time pass and not-watching it immediately after Zeta Gundam so that the tonal shift doesn't throw you as much. Having seen the series in its entirety (albeit a few years ago now), it seems best to go into Gundam ZZ with the knowledge that Judau and the rest of his crew are shitty teens in a poverty-stricken environment that eventually get slapped upside the head by the adult horrors of the reality around them & they are forced to grow out of it.

Also note that the way Mashymre envisions and idolises his interactions with Haman during the open episodes of the show is rather likely him romanticising the fantasy of being her prince - she pretty much just dumped him and the rest of his bumbling platoon out to the same junk heap that Judau inhabits (by chance) to get rid of him and his overbearing fanclub. With recruits running thin amongst the Zeon army (they keep getting blown up by Gundams), all that's left are idiots like Mashymre by this point, and Haman eventually disciplines him for his failures in a fairly horrifying way if you stick around to watch.

I also like the juxtaposition between Haman and Judau as the series goes on and Judau's presence becomes more & more a thorn in her side. The thought that Char essentially steps aside after Zeta Gundam and "may be watching from the sidelines" (as the characters in the show mention) leaves her pretty much alone and solely responsible for the hopes and dreams of the failing Zeon youth & nation. Amidst the friction this responsibility causes, the question is raised "If Haman had the same start at life that Judau was given, would she have turned out a better person rather than a product of her responsibilities".....or something along those lines. It has a lot to do with the seriousness of the second opening for the show, and is probably one of my fav anime openings ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73sg62fFZSY

Gundam Unicorn later takes a fair bit of character backstory from Gundam ZZ, and in paying attention to the general theme of science-gone-wrong & the younger characters' innocence being corrupted as Gundam ZZ continues onward, the eventual fate of some of the characters spoiler[Marida Cruz, an Elpeo Puru clone in particular] makes for a rather horrifying & tragic emotional payoff given what all that subject matter is eventually left to imply.

Quick note about the mention of the "Ex Machina" situation for people that have seen all Gundam shows - spoiler[would it be reasonable, if not a bit of a stretch, to assume that Char or Sayla could have been working behind the scenes, and happened to rescue a comatose Leina from a Zeon hospital off-camera? Given all of the cyber-newtype brainwashing shenanigans that happen to the Puru clones, I could easily see either Haman or Glemy grabbing a near-death & comatose Leina with the intent of later nursing her back to health & turning her into a tragic opponent for Judau to face.....though that role is eventually left to Puru as I recall.]

Last edited by LinkTSwordmaster on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

Also note that the way Mashymre envisions and idolises his interactions with Haman during the open episodes of the show is rather likely him romanticising the fantasy of being her prince - she pretty much just dumped him and the rest of his bumbling platoon out to the same junk heap that Judau inhabits (by chance) to get rid of him and his overbearing fanclub. With recruits running thin amongst the Zeon army (they keep getting blown up by Gundams), all that's left are idiots like Mashymre by this point, and Haman eventually disciplines him for his failures in a fairly horrifying way if you stick around to watch.

^100 times this. Haman was likely doing a lot of political maneuvering and restructuring coming off the heels of the Battle of Gryps. She got the best end out of the 3 sides arguably, but her forces still suffered considerable damage and she had to plan her the long term for her Neo Zeon. Mashmyre and his group could still put pressure on the AEUG and such, although the expendable nature of his group is a double-edged sword, not a big loss if they fail but not the best means of nipping AEUG in the bud I guess. They did fail after all and Judau's gang advances on Neo Zeon, but it's certainly not purely based on that bad judgement either with Glemy (and really, his circumstances would be likely for many people in Neo Zeon's scenario at the time, and I'm glad Tomino explored this) starting to have his own motives spoiler[ later starting a sort of civil war to make a new 3-way conflict.] I thought his development was great and made for some cool plot threads also reinforcing the series ideas of dwindling convictions, dissenting ideologies and growing weary of conflict put broadly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
with Glemy (and really, his circumstances would be likely for many people in Neo Zeon's scenario at the time, and I'm glad Tomino explored this) starting to have his own motives spoiler[ later starting a sort of civil war to make a new 3-way conflict.] I thought his development was great and made for some cool plot threads also reinforcing the series ideas of dwindling convictions, dissenting ideologies and growing weary of conflict put broadly.

I'd argue that this is pretty much the tone & lead-in to Char's Counterattack, given him seeming "emotionally checked out" towards humanity, yet still recognising the value of Haman's accomplishments spoiler[ - it's likely Haman's Zeon would have won the war if Glemy had not interfered, yet an opportunity arose for Glemy to assume power due to Haman being spread so thin across the war front]. His name/pedigree plus the outcome of Haman's war sets the stage for him to swoop in and unite what remains of Zeon. You miss a lot of the depth of the Zeon peoples' hopes and nationalism going into the Counterattack movie if you skip Gundam ZZ I think.

Concerning Haman specifically (and again, for people that have already seen everything), spoiler[I'd argue to the death that Haman is set up to be the UC timeline's ultimate tragic character given that her series ends with her fully conscious of the fact that she was running the Neo Zeon empire in an "end justifies the means" fashion and regretting it in hindsight. Judau's successes convince her things could have ended differently, yet her world never gave her the opportunity to change and grow much in the same way Judau was able/afforded.]
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to quote Ryusuke Hikawa from The History of Robot Anime; Double Zeta Gundam is "redundant in name and in content".
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
I lament that Gundam ZZ gets a ton of flak. Especially sitting next to Reconguista in G, the show is a lot more pleasant & fitting to the rest of the UC Gundam timeline than its negative critics would suggest (Reconguista doesn't get that luxury sadly). It really bothers me that the newer Zeta Gundam movies tried to wipe Double-Zeta out & bridge the story to Char's Counterattack, as you miss a lot of the politics and emotion surrounding that point in the UC timeline by skipping ZZ.

I think ZZ had a really strong finish. I can't really disagree with the flak it gets, but I think the second half makes the entire series finish strong. G-Reco might have been able to do that if it had another 20 or more episodes for the strong finish instead of like 3, but it didn't... and thus it is total garbage.

The Zeta movies didn't bridge CCA at all. It removed CCA from existence just like it removed ZZ. spoiler[Char was able to unite the remnants of a leaderless, shattered Neo Zeon. In the Zeta movies, Haman essentially won at Gryps and Zeon is united under her (and Minerva). Yeah, they suffered major losses as well and retreated away from the Earth, but there is no chance in hell Haman would cede control to Char nor do I think many of Zeon's commanders would side with him after Haman came away on top at Gryps and Char tried to get in their way.] Not really sure that needs to be spoilered since ZZ is a direct sequel and the outcome of the battle is gone over in episode 1 of ZZ, but whatever.

Fronzel wrote:
I'd like to quote Ryusuke Hikawa from The History of Robot Anime; Double Zeta Gundam is "redundant in name and in content".

Um, no. Zeta is more like just half of the story. The end is a cliffhanger where the 'good guys' are in considerably worse shape than the 'bad guys' (technically the Titans got it the worst though).
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
The History of Robot Anime[/url]; Double Zeta Gundam is "redundant in name and in content".

Except audiences still can eat up the same greasy burger styled media until they are puking out there guts, at the very least Double Zeta is different enough from modern media productions that it appears unique enough for a new audience, if its for good or ill depends on the individual viewers tastes.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
How can ANYONE like ZZ, especially after what it did to Haman's character? She was this badass, fearless space warlord who threw cyanide at people and ZZ suddenly made her into this quivering, puppy-dog eyed girl lusting after a 14 year old boy. Just what? Why?

What was the damn point?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
How can ANYONE like ZZ, especially after what it did to Haman's character? She was this badass, fearless space warlord who threw cyanide at people and ZZ suddenly made her into this quivering, puppy-dog eyed girl lusting after a 14 year old boy. Just what? Why?

What was the damn point?

spoiler[Except she ordered a Colony drop on Earth during the second half of the series, which in regards to UC verse adapations was the first during narrative Colony drops.

In regards to "lusting for 14 year old boys", so it's alright for Char Aznable to be a habitual lolicon, but heaven forbid if a woman has signs of being a Shotacon?

Haman's Character was hardly ruined in ZZ, perhaps underutilized but certainly not destroyed as some viewers seem to be perceiving.]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

What was the damn point?

She was emotionally vulnerable after "losing" Char in Zeta Gundam, and forced to overcompensate in her scheming, but underneath was quivering.

I actually kind of like her arc in Double Zeta, to a point. I think her personally going undercover in a later episode was pointless, but mostly she seemed pretty genuine. Plus, you can't go wrong with Yoshiko Sakakibara, regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

What was the damn point?

The same way people can like Char's Counterattack and Char in spite of Char becoming a well intentioned extremist who sees nothing wrong whatsoever about dropping meteors on earth with the goal of forcing it's inhabitants into space at the potential cost of untold numbers of casualties and making the earth an inhospitable wasteland?

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I too liked Haman's arc in ZZ, I think most of her anxieties come from her circumstances later come from spoiler[ Glemy's rebellion ] and how they underwent this power-hungry metamorphosis and self-righteous beliefs support by how they spoiler[ may or may not actually be the reincarnation of Gihren Zabi who in turn was the most ruthless of the Zabi who had tarnished Zeon Deikum's name to begin with] and what Link mentioned prior about how she is conflicted on whether her forceful methods will ultimately yield anything good in the end. Haman is awesome as a calculating and cool menace, but I also enjoyed her getting some more vulnerability and dimension which also made ZZ's content more complex. I still wish there was more of her even after all this, but I'm glad ZZ existed to deliver on how intriguing she was in Zeta; spoiler[ shame Scirocco didn't get that luxury, I wish he had got some more time too, he was cool. ]

Meanwhile CCA I thought was a hot mess, and while Link's previous response got me in a better frame of mind to understand it, I think perhaps Unicorn fulfills the idea of the regressive "ghost" of Char's imposing views meeting an end better, although I may consider a rewatch based on that reading and see if it changes my outlook. As of now though I kind of just ignore CCA in my head for Unicorn and say that FF carried the lingering, more urgent sentiments of the old, vindictive Char from 0079 after he "passed" between ZZ and Unicorn. There's still some more direct references and clips to CCA, but I just tried to make up some weird theory in my head lol. For me, Casval/Char's tale ended with Quattro in Zeta, as did Amuro's bit of reconciliation with him, but his tale was mostly 0079, and Kamille's and Haman's ended in ZZ ofc.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

What was the damn point?

I think Haman is probably one of the more well-developed and complicated characters in the UC timeline - which is especially notable given that she is not a main hero and not Char.

Whereas Scirocco in Zeta was pretty much just smart & selfish/evil adversary without a conscience or remorse right into the end (from what I remember), it seemed like both Zeta and Gundam ZZ made it a point to show that Haman wasn't just some kind of one-dimensional, "evil" character through her loneliness and inner conflict.

The way I understood things, Judau represented practically every ideal Haman had desired for her life. Judau's friends and peers more or less respect him, he's an amazingly powerful newtype, he somehow lived through most of the war ignorant/oblivious to the seriousness of the conflict in his early life, and he's competent enough to lead his team & protect most of what's important to him and keeps coming out winning against anything Haman can throw in his way.......for all intent and purpose, he is quite possibly THE single person (aside from Char, had he not thrown away his name/station/position) that Haman respects enough to want to recruit him into her regime.

The thing is, no matter what she does, Judau is always out of reach. At first, her initial reaction is to rage and try to morally corrupt Judau and forcibly drag him over to her side, but spoiler[as control over Zeon and her seat of power start to slip away,] her respect and interactions with him causes her to start questioning her own motives & actions. spoiler[Unfortunately in the end, however, she's in too deep and can do nothing but see the hell she created with her own hands through to the end.]
So I don't think she was turned into a slobbering puppy dog. Her desire for Judau was one of a "sort-of mutual" respect for his accomplishments and abilities (in the wake of all the disappointment around her) as viewed through the sickening lens of adulthood and adult responsibilities - a theme they elaborated on in Char's Counterattack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the note of Char's Counterattack, I've seen it probably about 3 times in my life. Once when I was waaaaay younger and Adult Swim had it on after midnight for the first time in America (or was it Toonami?), and the other times were probably closer to a decade after that. I've written analysis stuff in the past about Char's actions and Quess' erratic behavior, but I have no idea where any of that would be since it's been so long.

I found CCA to be an amazing movie on account of watching it for the first time around when I was the same age as Quess is portrayed in the movie (found her to be insufferably annoying and Char to be amazingly contradictory and irrational back then). Then when I went and watched it again a few years ago, suddenly I could relate to Quess acting out on account of the stuff going on in her life (as an adult, it's easy to look back and notice when you were a shitty teen) and Char having lost his faith in humanity, thus wanting to just wipe everything clean and start over to get rid of the pain.

To be able to watch one single film at two extremely different times in my life and walk away with a completely different & renewed understanding/respect for it's story was rather inspiring. I've always heard CCA was likely supposed to be its own series - but in spite of whatever problems the movie was subject to behind the scenes, the story of Char having grown up to be disgusted by everything happening around him.....even though I totally didn't get it the first time around, it really drives home the point of "adulthood" and what it means to grow up.

Quess is tragic because she has great potential and yet never gets the opportunity to truly shine as the adults around her either dismiss her or take advantage of her because of her age/lack of experience - that's like an insult of the highest variety to an up-and-coming smartypants teen, thus Char's approval supplements as her own father's.

By the CCA movie, Char has already grown up - we saw him ending his teen years with a rebellious passion in MS Gundam, then watched his starry-eyed ideological plea in Dakar during Zeta.......and then Haman completely beats him and crushes his ideology with her's and her power. By the time CCA starts, Char is older, in his 30's, even someone as strong as Haman has lost, the nation his father loved is in ruins, and the Earth is in bad shape. The world sucks as an adult, especially such a world wrecked by war - while Amuro is able to push forward in spite of all that's happened to him and keep fighting for hope, Char can only look backwards and see the assassination of his family, the death of his love, and the death of his nation and the Earth. I think internally, being that his thoughts by this point were so jaded and stuck in the past, outwardly, he could only put on the facade of "Casval Rem Deikun", thus he confides in Nanai logically and physically as an adult, yet emotionally and internally, he can only relate to Quess and see her as similar to Lalah. A part of him yearns for the hope and vitality he had in his youth, but it's been taken away from him many times, again & again. Keeping Quess around seems to at least keep that part of him alive, while his adult ambitions see her as useful and easy to bend to his agenda.

As someone who's been through a lot over the years - family BS, medical problems, loss of friends, etc, I think Char in Char's Counterattack embodies how much despair the transition from the innocence of youth to the responsibilities of adulthood can entail. Studio politics and production issues aside, I think that interplay of children and adults in a world saturated in war (keep in mind, the giant robot shows sort of popped up along with Godzilla in response to Japan's own real-life relationship with recent wars), has always been one of the main driving narrative force behind the series. CCA marks a pretty solid finale to Amuro and Char's stories, and I think it's hard - particularly for younger, less-worldly viewers - to dive as deep into the personality and dysfunction that left Char scarred and in enough pain to want to end it all in such a contradictory fashion. spoiler[Gundam Unicorn at least gives Char some form of rest and redemption after what I could possibly go so far to label as him being "suicidal" in CCA.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think the most memorable scene from Char's Counterattack is with him on the train:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXSkaSkVBYA

As the Zeon citizens are singing an anthem for Char, the camera zooms in. Quess is smiling at such a (joyful?) celebration, Gyunei looks to be in awe of all the civilians support for their cause & love of Char. Char though.....his face is expressionless.....his glasses hide his thoughts - a stark contrast to Quess' smiling face. In the scene following his salute and departure from the train, Char looks pensive as ever and definitely not happy or hopeful. Though, Quess obviously isn't picking up on any of that.

I'd be interested in hearing what everyone all thinks now that I've probably ran the subject into the ground! Laughing
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
For me Char has always been a morally grey leaning more on the dark side who simply ended up targeting much darker individuals.
By the time of CCA, everyone that was outright eviler than him that had some semblance of power had already been destroyed, so by default as long as he was alive and wanted to act out his personal will many people were going to suffer, since he didn't seem like a man content with ruling he just wanted to smite the source of most of his life's annoyances which came from the giant gravity rock called Earth, and heaven knows what would happen after a successful drop if he still wasn't content and resorted to pirating of rival colonies that didn't already support him (which large scale colony pirating still occurs anyway by the time of F91).

Mind you this interpretation is even before we consider the Gundam Origin's version of Char who apparently has ALWAYS been a psychopath, and such a Char would gleefully watch as the people of earth suffer a global catastrophe as Axis plummets and wonder after how else he might make others that don't already fall in line with his crazy ideals suffer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3