• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Genre Trends of 2016 So Far

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm happy to see our true queen Kiyoko topped the poll last week.

Me too, but I'm still a bit miffed (though I'm glad people like her) that Riko Aida (Kuroko's Basketball) had her status as coach downgraded to manager. Not that managers aren't important! Smile

I'm not very big on food series, per se, but it seems like a lot of the ones that use that as their hub turn out to be pretty good shows, aside from the food aspect. Shokugeki no Souma, Yakitate! Japan, and Antique Bakery are all very engaging series in very different ways. Even this season's short Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou is something new on the plate. Very Happy

I'm also not tired of trapped-in-a-game anime because it seems that, unlike harem (male or female) or magic battle school series, they realize that rather than getting by just checking off tropes they need to attack it in a new way each time to keep people from rejecting it on principle. Given how imitative anime has always been, I've never understood why viewers are so demanding of this particular genre, but it seems to have paid off in some remarkable series.

On the flip side, I really like a good mystery, and keep watching in hopes of finding one, but damn they're few and far between. Maybe having more will increase the odds of finding a gem, but I kinda think it doesn't really work that way, and we'll just get more series that fall apart half-way through.
Cetais

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Oh, and I really blame Infinite Stratos for this which takes all of this and does nothing with it except sell a lot of BDs and books by rule of doing it first. The benchmark for quality in this- genre, really?- checklist is set so low by this series that anything is up. "The two characters acknowledge each other as romantic interests?" That's not a reaction to Chilvary, that Infinite blowback in action.

Pretty sure it's a trend dating way back IS. (Like said before)

What made Infinite Stratos sells was it's refreshing ideas (so little clothes on a girl in a mecha suit!) its never thought before setting (A guy in a girl's school) and its wonderful characters clichés remade (two childhood friends who love the hero!)

... More seriously, it's a complete mystery why IS sold this well. This was one of the most boring, full of cliché anime that I watched.
Everything was bland, so many things made no sense, and every character was a specific cliché stereotype.

There's like a lot of potential, but everything got lost when the author decided making an harem instead of something good.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Cetais wrote:
I hope anime themed around homosexuality gets more popular this year and the next. I'm really thirsty for more.
#Otouto no otto for anime.

If they do more LGBT anime, I would want it to actually show the bleak reality of being one, not just excessive girl-pleasing love with no conflict whatsoever. I hope that such anime will help increase gay rights in the country.

The problem with that is that japanese people would have to get the idea that anime is only for children and social rejects out of their heads.

A show watched by a minimum part of the population sadly isn't very likely to have much social impact to improve stuff like LGBT rights and image across the entire country.

If you want an story to help improve japanese society, anime isn't the right medium for it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
... More seriously, it's a complete mystery why IS sold this well. This was one of the most boring, full of cliché anime that I watched.
Everything was bland, so many things made no sense, and every character was a specific cliché stereotype.

I don't think it is that big of a mystery. They got a great animation studio to do it and even for them they did an extremely good job. You can't underestimate the importance of visual appeal. On the harem side, better looking girls is obviously going to be a big help; on the battle side, a well done fight is pretty cool regardless of the circumstances surrounding it. If you go back and look at other series from that season, IS looks leagues better. Also just in general if you look at any other LN based anime around that time there is a huge gap in the animation level.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
The way it's played out, I think Re: Zero could also just as well fit in the mystery category, too. Its second story arc - which has been running since episode 4 - definitely has a whodunit feel to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I would have included Time Travel on this list. With what is already out and what is coming there are a rather large number of time travel anime this year.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
One trend that is underused is original anime because you are gambling on something with no established audience.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Whoa! Surprised My write-in of Nene Mōri made it into the Poll! So ecstatic that happened! Smile

I've noticed that reboots of classics, male-focused sports shows, and time-traveling, have become a common occurrence throughout the first half of 2016.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
masajus wrote:
I think that Shokugeki no soma switched Food trend in the higher gear.

Nope, Yakitate Japan made it 1st. Shokugeki no Souma just added some spices in it with ecchi reaction.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I have some issues with the options given in the poll, so I'm going to answer here:

What do you think of the anime industry revisiting properties of yesteryear?

Enjoying those a lot more than many new properties. Would love to see more, especially a TV series for "3x3 Eyes."

What do you think of anime where characters are trapped in/transported to fantasy game-like world?

Knee-jerk reaction is to dislike what's popular, but I did like "Log Horizon" and the first part of "SAO." Overall, I guess I'm going to say "ambivalent." There are good ones and crappy ones, but I'd rather just see anime that use the fantasy setting as-is without throwing spitballs at it, like "Windaria" or the "Lodoss War" OVAs.

What do you think of anime that take place in a magical battle school setting?

Haven't found one of these I like yet. Dislike, I guess, though I liked the "Harry Potter" series and have nothing against the premise itself.

What do you think of sports shows specifically targeting female viewers and/or fujoshi?

No issue whatsoever with any genre targeting female viewers, but not all or even most females are fujoshi. Targeting the latter is extremely unwelcome, and will lose me as a viewer in short order.

What do you think of shows strongly featuring male idols?

I think I'm totally not the target audience for that, so what I think doesn't matter.

What do you think of shows focusing on a mystery or crime that needs solved?

Depends. I've been intrigued by a couple of these, but they always tend to fall apart at the end. ("Erased" was especially painful, since there was so much good stuff in the middle part of it, and the Hokkaido setting was wonderfully realized).

What do you think of shows where food and cooking are a primary theme?

My experience is limited to "Toriko," which I couldn't stand. Knee-jerk reaction is dislike, but if it were based on something like "Oishinbo" or any number of cooking-oriented manga that nobody outside Japan has ever heard of, I might be game.

Edit: No need to intentionally start that argument. -Galap
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Cetais wrote:
I hope anime themed around homosexuality gets more popular this year and the next. I'm really thirsty for more.

If they do more LGBT anime, I would want it to actually show the bleak reality of being one, not just excessive girl-pleasing love with no conflict whatsoever. I hope that such anime will help increase gay rights in the country.

You should look up Otouto no Otto then, a seinen manga by a gay male author; it isn't exactly bleak, more sort of "gay people 101 for clueless straights". I hear that a US publisher is trying to get it, so we may see it in English at some point.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
I guess they should have included iyashikei as a genre for the list instead of magic high school, seeing how well Flying Witch and Tanaka-kun performed.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm pretty sure Hunter X Hunter started the trend off.

Trend of what exactly? Can you specify it a little more?
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Cetais wrote:

Aoi Hana/Sweet Blue Flowers (Manga: 2004-2013 Anine: 2009) is considered a leveled portrayal. You can feel there is a stigma regarding homosexuality. Hourou Musuko/Wandering Son by the same mangaka is a manga and anime that deals with transgender topics. Not sexual orientation, but rather gender Identity. And once you get past the bear and invisible storm allegory, Yuri Kuma Arashi is precisely that.

Revolutionary Girl Utena (1997 - same author as Yuri Kuma Arashi) is often hailed as the most progressive/one of the most progressive anime of all time. And while it a rather utopian portrayal rather than a bleak portrayal, Cardcaptor Sakura features a fully functional gay couple and almost everyone there looks like they're bisexual, much like in Utena. In both works, the authors are pretty much Pro-LGBT.

There are other works out there with respectable portrayals of the LGBT and their number has increased over the years. It's a question of time, really. Most young adults accept homosexuality there.

bassgs435 wrote:

The problem with that is that japanese people would have to get the idea that anime is only for children and social rejects out of their heads.

A show watched by a minimum part of the population sadly isn't very likely to have much social impact to improve stuff like LGBT rights and image across the entire country.

If you want an story to help improve japanese society, anime isn't the right medium for it.

Actually, more adults are okay with watching anime nowadays. Otherwise, adult-oriented blocks such as Noitamina (originally thought for College-aged women) wouldn't even exist. In an 130.000 people survey in 2013, 43% identified as an Otaku. One can guess that Younger Adults stigmatize less than the older population. Incidently, a Gallop Poll in 2013 says 83% of people between 18-30 years of age were acceptant of homosexuality. That's Netherlands-level on the younger part of the population.

Manga is more popular than anime, I feel. But anyways, it's just a question of time in Japan. In South Korea, the same generation clash is happening. A Durama might still be more popular for that, though.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:44 am Reply with quote
LightYapper wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm pretty sure Hunter X Hunter started the trend off.
Trend of what exactly? Can you specify it a little more?
The one for the increase in re-adapting older titles.

Kadmos1 wrote:
One trend that is underused is original anime because you are gambling on something with no established audience.
That's not really a trend, and while I'm personally for the idea of more titles not being adaptations of Manga or Light Novels. I never see such titles get any fanfare for being original, Bones for example made more original titles than adaptations in their earlier days, and yet their most celebrated work is the adaptation of FMA.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:10 am Reply with quote
I disagree with mystery (the best one) but the rest (sadly) fit. LN adaptations aren´t a "genre" but they may soon catch up with pure manga adaptations. I have to admit though that the LNs also get adapted to manga the moment anime adaptations come to play, to have ready made story boards Cool . None of these are specifically 2016 trends and the same list would have fit for 2015, if we exchanged mystery with high school pr0n or survival.
I lament the days when original content was a real force in the market, despite less than 1/2 or even 2/3 the output... The year itself has been pretty decent so far, so that´s good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4