• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Anime Movies Play On Weeknights?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Theater turnouts are a real mystery, even for the studios that have hoards of bean counters trying to predict them. I went to see Kizumonogatari earlier this year on a Sunday evening in the (depending on who you ask) 6th largest city in the US and there were..... 8 people in the audience Confused
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, if it's anime I know it ain't coming here anyway even if it does get a theatrical release, except on the off chance it's a Dragonball Z movie. If I want to see them in a theater I have to drive 2 and 1/2 hours to Minneapolis and make a day trip out of it. Can be fun occasionally but I rarely have the time off from work or the money to do it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
Theater turnouts are a real mystery, even for the studios that have hoards of bean counters trying to predict them. I went to see Kizumonogatari earlier this year on a Sunday evening in the (depending on who you ask) 6th largest city in the US and there were..... 8 people in the audience Confused

Was there an earlier showing? All the diehard fans probably went to that, even if it was a weekday evening. I went to a Saturday showing of Tiger and Bunny The Rising and there was only one other guy in the theater with me.

Besides, the Monogatari fanbase is a bit on the niche side, I think. You bet your ass the place is packed tight when a DBZ movie shows.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
The other thing is that Cineplex tends to stick the weekend showings at like 1 P.M. Like, the first showing of the day, when usually at many locations they don't start using all the screens for the Hollywood movies until like 5. There's usually some showings in the early afternoon, but several of the theatres are probably empty at the time. They're not really losing any money by adding a showing on when there usually isn't one.

Huh, noon is usually the absolute earliest when a movie theateropens around here, and it can be as early as 9 AM, but most commonly the first screening will be 10 AM or 10:30 AM. Not much demand in Canada to watch movies earlier in the day? I tend to seek those out because tickets cost less then.

Most times though, I don't really have a choice in the matter if I want to see an aime movie in a theater, as the movie will only show once, so it's either full price or bust.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
AholePony wrote:
Theater turnouts are a real mystery...
I went to a Saturday showing of Tiger and Bunny The Rising and there was only one other guy in the theater with me.

I once went to the last showing of a major Hollywood movie around Christmastime and not only was I the only person in the audience, I had to go find someone to start the film. When I left, there did not seem to be anyone at all in the building, and there were no cars in the parking lot but mine. It was kinda eerie...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Nothing I wanted to see has ever come much closer than Washington DC (a four hour drive) so just when in the week it shows is sort of a moot point.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I once went to the last showing of a major Hollywood movie around Christmastime and not only was I the only person in the audience, I had to go find someone to start the film. When I left, there did not seem to be anyone at all in the building, and there were no cars in the parking lot but mine. It was kinda eerie...

Not odd to see empty theater's at the end of a movie's run. Anyone interested in seeing it has already done so.

Now, I went to see American Ultra on opening weekend and I was the only one in the theater.

Then again, it was an R rated movie and I caught a matinee showing. Most adults would see it in the evening.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I work evening shift so going to see an anime movie in the theater, even if it comes to one within range (which is a big maybe even though I live near the largest city in the US), is problematic. I may be wrong but it seems like the ones I've noticed don't give much lead time to make plans and it's hard for me to take a night off just for that. Plus, if the showing is in NYC that lets driving out (no way I'm driving into NYC on a weekday) so add the (expensive) cost of train fare and it just doesn't make sense for me.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
The Dragon Ball Z movies did very well at the cinema I work at. Resurrection F played almost every day (sometimes twice a day) for two weeks, including weekends (albeit during the day). One manager told me that several of the showings sold out, and the screenings I attended for both Battle of Gods and RF were really really packed. Me and my brother had to sit in the bottom section for both. And both were in the cinema's second biggest auditorium (400+ seats). That cinema doesn't get any other anime films though, but another one nearby did get Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie and Boy and the Beast.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Also, anime aimed at families (i.e. Ghibli retrospectives) tend to do better business in weekend matinees, so those tend to get more preferential treatment than, say, Love Live.
Wasn't Love Live shown on a weekend at a few cinemas over there though? Here in Sydney it was only ever shown on a weekend. Both the initial screening and all the encore screenings.

Granted they used to only be able to do anime screenings in Newtown which is just outside of Sydney city. But in the case of Love Live (And pretty much all the anime movies that get a theatrical release these days) they managed to get a screening in George St which is right in the heart of Sydney city. And as I said before, this was on a weekend.

In fact that only ever anime movies that I've seen shown on a weekday are Dragon Ball Z and Ghibli Movies.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
@ Vaisaga: I meant the last showing of the evening. Smile It probably was a weeknight, but it was the 2nd LotR movie, and I think it was only a couple days old.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
My area hardly ever shows Anime movies. The last time was for the Resurrection F DBZ movie. So I went to it in Cathedral City, California at the Mary Pickford theater, and it got so full in the room that they had to move us to a different screen that was much bigger to allow more people to enter in. I got in early to the original room so I had the best seat. So it sucked that I had to give up my seat to go into a bigger screening, but I still got a good seat even if it wasn't the best one.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I actually prefer going to watch an Anime feature film on a weeknight there's a lot less non fans at the theater and a lot more true fans there and it can be a pretty fun experience. Smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

You apparently have better transit service than my city, since evening showings of any movie are right out for me. The movies never let out before the last light rail leaves. :/

Late evening showings are a bit risky for traveling to my neighbourhood by bus, but, as long as the movie's over by around 10:30pm, it's okay. I haven't seen a late evening showing in years, though.

If evening public transit service on weekdays is a problem for you, I doubt it would be any better on weekends.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PMDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Movie theaters are weird. Went to see Deadpool on opening day, in an IMAX theater with a good reputation, and reserved seating.

Big name film. Went on to make huge amounts of money.

There were only about 30 people in the auditorium. And of course despite being almost empty, somebody had taken my seat. Apparently nobody really cares about reservations when the whole place is almost empty.

The audience also didn't laugh at the film. Supposed to be a funny movie, making a lot of money. A hit. Well, that particular showing was about as joyful as an ant hill.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3