• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dragonball: Evolution's Writer Issues Apology to Fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
diefty wrote:
KH91 wrote:
FackuIkari wrote:
7 years later but at least he apologized for it

lol Good one.
PenguinPimp89

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Apologize? For what? What's he talking about? Why would he do that? There is no live-action Dragonball movie, IT DOESN'T EXIST.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
It's not a good movie but I get the impression that the reason a lot of people don't like it is because of its low resemblance to the source material and I don't see the point. Yeah, they tried to turn a manga into a Hollywood PG action-adventure and changed nearly everything. So? Adaptations should be free. It's not as there's much going on thematically in Dragon Ball they tossed aside.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
It's unnecessary. No live-action Dragon Ball movie was going to be good, even if the story was better. Anyone upset about DB Evolution is in the wrong for expecting anything from it.

He should apologize to the cast and crew for wasting their time and the studio for wasting their money on the project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't think he needs to apologize, he needed money and unfortunately I don't think he had much to work with. It happens sometimes you get shitty jobs.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
It takes great courage to publicly admit responsibility of the entire failure of a movie; thus, kudos to Mr. Ramsey for doing that. However, I place most of Dragonball Evolution's failure on the director.
TheLineOfSight

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I thought the movie for great for what it was. A western based retelling. It told the basic story of Dragon Ball and had the key characters people remembered from the anime. I don't see how it could have been any better at the time with the resources the movie had then.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
TheLineOfSight wrote:
I thought the movie for great for what it was. A western based retelling. It told the basic story of Dragon Ball and had the key characters people remembered from the anime. I don't see how it could have been any better at the time with the resources the movie had then.

Again, there were more "western version" cameos in the original first-draft script--
We know that the Evolution-verse version of Chichi has a rich daddy, but I can't recall whether we ever saw in the theatrical version that the Ox King was a big-daddy WWF wrestling champion, more in the spirit of Videl and Mr. Satan.

Of literally a dozen people whose Fault It Was, the final-draft screenwriter's not even in the top 5 list.
There's an old saying about piano players in Western saloons.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, it's been 7 years, and I couldn't care less about that movie any more. I've never even heard of this guy and wouldn't have sent him hate mail over it. If you really want my honest, no-nonsense response, it is that we all missed out on something; us as fans for that joke, and him on the return from a more serious or successful adaptation. Tis a bitter punchline, or brew, potion, etc.

Added a comma.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
That movie was something they could show prisoners in Guantanamo Bay, but at least the writer's admitting his mistake. It's a start.
ChrisKris

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
This movie was so horrible....

If u want to make a Movie that comes from a Anime.
Atleast do your homework and make it worth watching.

Or you shouldn't even start making it. Waste of money.

Atleast he apologized.

If I wanted to watch a stupid movie and waste my time.
I always can go for some Bollywood movies or Shark VS Gaint Octopus etc.

Let's hope he neva get a new idea how to screw a Anime in a live action movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
For people who say he doesn't have to apologize, keep in mind, he wasn't trying to make a good movie. He was trying to make money. This wasn't a misled attempt at making something great. This was a "well, I'm gonna make money either way. Why try?". He deserves to apologize, but whether or not hatemail is warranted... that's a different subject.

In addition, since he said he wasn't a fan and was just brought into the project, chances are he knew very little about DBZ prior to signing on and had to learn everything he did as he went.

But yeah, what he essentially said was that this was simply a way to pay the bills and keep the lights on where he lived. Being a movie screenwriter is very tough (or freelance anything, for that matter); months or even years could go by without any company accepting you or your scripts. Beggars can't be choosers, though it looks like the concluding sentence of that apology indicates he can now afford to choose.

It's the same with any creative field: You might suddenly be put into a project you know nothing about or have little interest in. You could do all the research you can, but you still won't match the level of knowledge of a fan or a scholar.

penguintruth wrote:
He should apologize to the cast and crew for wasting their time and the studio for wasting their money on the project.

He has no need to apologize to the studio because the studio was what provided him with his paychecks.

ChrisKris wrote:
If I wanted to watch a stupid movie and waste my time.
I always can go for some Bollywood movies or Shark VS Gaint Octopus etc.

Now you're insulting the millions of Bollywood fans. It's an acquired taste though.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
It takes a ton of courage to come out and say "yeah, it's all on me. My bad". That being said, I don't think he needed to. Show me a person who has never had to take on a job they weren't enthusiastic about but needed the money, and I'll show you a person who has never worked in their lives. It happens. I don't think he went in and said he was going to make something people would hate. He was given a project, and he gave it a shot. I'm sure he would have been thrilled if everyone loved what he did and the project is what made his name in the business. But it didn't happen, and it was in part because of a series that just isn't going to work in the format he was working with. If it wasn't this guy, surely someone else would have been given the job, and failed just the same because Hollywood has long been looking to capitalize on the popularity in the anime niche.

I think it is always disgusting when folks feel the need to attack anyone who merely fails to meet their own personal sense of expectation. If you want to criticize the execution on the work, that's one thing. But the kind of hate people seem to think they are entitled to toss at someone doing their job always aggravates me. If you think it's bad, critique the execution or don't watch, and move on. This guy never deserved the hate mail he received.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
I think it is always disgusting when folks feel the need to attack anyone who merely fails to meet their own personal sense of expectation. If you want to criticize the execution on the work, that's one thing. But the kind of hate people seem to think they are entitled to toss at someone doing their job always aggravates me. If you think it's bad, critique the execution or don't watch, and move on. This guy never deserved the hate mail he received.
This is what happened with every fandom out there especially the anime fandom, so called fans would downright insulted anyone that does mistakes to things even by a slight mile without even thinking of the creator's feeling. I guess it's just a normal thing that us human can't avoided since insulting and discriminating is mostly a preferable subject rather than to enjoyed on something and then just simply moved on to check out the next thing. Of course, some people might defended their stance by saying it's the freedom of expression. A lot of people doesn't realized how short this life is.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
At least the people who actually sat through the film finally got something entertaining out of it. Rolling Eyes Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4