• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Despite me wanting to see Naruto getting back on track, I'm enjoying these Itachi episodes.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Was Shisui aware that he was placing bandages over bandages? I suppose his heart was in the right place.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Well the next one will be good, considering the title and the preview. I'm concerned for Itachi that Izumi hasn't died yet, considering that night is coming up and only two Uchiha will be walking out of it. I would put spoiler tags, but anyone whose watched Shippuden or even the original knows what's going to happen.
irfanf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
They really rushed this episode, as the content in this episode couldve been spread out to be at least 2 better paced episodes, and they changed Izumi's death from the novel, where Itachi put her into a genjutsu where she lives the rest of her live in the illusion instead of tobi killing her.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
This story definitely would have been better served by an additional episode. I also wouldn't have minded seeing Shisui's death explored in a bit more detail. I know we've already seen the broad strokes, but an Itachi-centric miniseries seems like the perfect opportunity for a more in-depth look at the events surrounding his passing.

Call it a hunch, but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Izumi.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone in control of this series at all anymore? It's like they've got 8 groups doing their own thing, and then someone is stuck mashing it all together, editing it with a machete. There's no sense of pacing or planning anything at all.

How many times did we have to slog through repeats of Obito's backstory? We've spent months in the doldrums of filler, and now that they finally have an interesting story to tell about a character everyone wants to know more about, they zip through the details like the time slot is on fire and they have to get out with just the bare essentials. "Shisui's death (which is quickly glossed over at the beginning of the episode)" is an understatement. What brought them to that cliff? What precipitated Shisui's decision? When/why did he hook up with Tobi? To be fair, they might have told us and I just forgot - but I don't remember seeing Obito's motivation for this in all those trips through his backstory. If he did kill Izumi, that makes even less sense, given his own history. I know I'm repressing the memories of a lot of this, but part of the problem is in how incoherently this whole saga has been told. If ever a series needed a reboot with a reasonably linear telling and no filler or padding, it's this one. They could probably do it in 200-250 episodes for the entire franchise.

Gods, this series is so frustrating.
irishsaltytuna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, they've shown the events leading up to Shisui's death in the Kakakshi ANBU filler arc as well as the Ninja Storm Revolutions side story cutscenes.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see a miniseries built around the Akatsuki and/or a twisted buddy comedy centered on Hidan and Kakuzu. As much as I like Itachi, he's among the organization's least interesting members.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
based on what the reviewer said in this week's episode I can only assume they haven't watched previous episodes or don't care at all about the serie's story. All of the complaints were addressed in previous episode, YES Orochimaru always wanted an Uchiha body do you know anything about Orochimaru? And who Itachi became has been answered. We saw him grow up and he made the decision to do everything to help the village as a whole when he agreed to destroy the Uchiha. At this point, Itachi doesn't care about the other villages or ex-members of those villages. He only wants to help the Leaf which in this point in the story is by learning more about the Akatsuki's goals and playing the spy by being a ruthless badass who doesn't shy away from killing random people. Itachi understands the mission he must carry for the rest of his life. The question is, does the viewer understand? Because I certainly do, and the reviewer certainly DOESN'T.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:
And who Itachi became has been answered. We saw him grow up...

That was not one of her complaints? o.O And no, we didn't see him grow up, we saw a few scenes from his childhood and bam, adult. What she was asking for was to have more time spent in the previously unexplored middle period. Yeah, they've hit the high notes, but it would be nice to fill in the bass line and some harmonies. I thought that was the point of doing Itachi's story in the first place - to show us things we haven't known about before.

If you already know everything worth knowing about his story, why bother to watch it again if it's all just rehashed material?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:
Because I certainly do, and the reviewer certainly DOESN'T.

You certainly understand how to go off on a tangent about nonexistent complaints, anyway.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Animorphimagi wrote:
And who Itachi became has been answered. We saw him grow up...

That was not one of her complaints? o.O And no, we didn't see him grow up, we saw a few scenes from his childhood and bam, adult. What she was asking for was to have more time spent in the previously unexplored middle period. Yeah, they've hit the high notes, but it would be nice to fill in the bass line and some harmonies. I thought that was the point of doing Itachi's story in the first place - to show us things we haven't known about before.

If you already know everything worth knowing about his story, why bother to watch it again if it's all just rehashed material?

Do you know how old Itachi is right here? 17 AT THE OLDEST. He is no adult. He was a child when he was in the academy, then he graduated and was in a squad till 10 or 11. He then went to the Anbu and learned to be loyal to the village and saw what the dark side of protecting the village was like. He killed the Uchiha when he was 13, joining the Akatsuki right after. This "middle period" is his time in the Anbu and overall it really wasn't that long. They could've added a little, but the point is that Itachi learned his ideology right before joining the Anbu which is why he joined them in the first place. His ideology was that he wanted to do everything he could to do what was best for the village. He doesn't need any more scenes while in the Anbu and he was undercover and very silent while in the Akatsuki. I enjoyed seeing him grow up, but once he joined the Akatsuki, there was no more mystery to his character. We know where things go from here.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
::shrugs:: In my book, with his life experiences, he's an adult. I think he's considered an adult by his peers and culture. Even in our society, he'd be tried as an adult for his crimes (if the village leaders kept silent). Smile
irishsaltytuna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:49 am Reply with quote
I know you're looking forward to seeing Kisame in the next two episodes, however bear in mind that since his Voice Actor passed away we might not see as much of him as we'd like.
Adv193

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Least the beginning of May is something to look forward to, now that the Naruto anime schedule confirms the official canon storyline will be resuming then now that only two Itachi episodes are left.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 44