• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter's English Dub Previewed in Adult Swim's Toonami Ad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
IM EXCITED!! ALSO FOR THE DVD RELEASE
levonr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Ahmazein wrote:
What...What did they do to Killua....

Heh, that was my reaction when I first heard him in Japanese as well. I didn't like his voice the most for a few episodes. He sounds too happy compared the 1999 voice. However that changed. I don't know why fans freak out over ONE line that was meant to be very joyful, it doesn't convey his entire character so not the best line to go by.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Might be at that point, she didn't know Killua would be anything other than a happy boy on a skateboard who happens to come from a family of assassins. There was that recent Answerman column about how actors often perform not knowing how their characters will be like later, for the purposes of time and authenticity, after all.

0stiniatioze wrote:
So um, is it pronounced Hunter Hunter, or Hunter ex Hunter? Because I have always done the latter

It's pronounced "Hunter Hunter." The X is not pronounced (and is not actually a letter, but a multiplication symbol).

veemonjosh wrote:
Well, really a lot of anime Toonami aired between 2005-2008 got cut short (the only ones I recall them actually completing on the block were Dragon Ball GT and Bobobo), and Cyborg 009 ended up finishing in a Friday night death slot off Toonami along with Yu Yu Hakusho, IGPX, and Gundam Seed.

Hmm, maybe it's because I didn't get to watch quite as much Toonami as I used to, but I didn't recall any besides Mobile Suit Gundam and Hamtaro.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
DUDE I've never been this excited for a dub, the only dubs I've really enjoyed until now are those from my childhood watching toonami before I discovered subs (with the exception of the Majestic Prince dub), but so far they just sound RIGHT. Now I hope the actors have the chops to perform well through all the emotionally turbulent scenes.
emory

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I am sure the dub will be solid. My only question is if Toonami is prepared to run this series for 3 years. What happens if the ratings start tanking?

According to the Toonami blog post I read about it, the deal with Viz has the option to cancel if the ratings are too low. Toonami seems to be fully aware that taking on another long-running series potentially has the negative consequences of the audience growing bored with a lineup that would have little room for change. The impression I got is that they are willing to take that chance for the sake of not having to look for more shows to fill out the lineup when the shorter ones end.

For most of Toonami's anime deals, they buy the rights to individual episodes, and those episodes can be re-aired for a short while until they expire. As of late they've been increasing those expiration dates so they can run marathons on holidays, but that's why most anime on Toonami don't get second runs anymore. They would have to re-buy the rights. So if Hunter X Hunter tanks that badly, which would be a hard feat to accomplish IMHO, they can simply cease buying additional episodes of the show.

CyberLance wrote:
So are they not planning on releasing the Hunter Hunter DVDs until the show has been on Toonami for a long time?
I want them now. Sad

Guess we'll wait for Viz's schedule. Sometimes what distributors will do I've noticed is release sets in the middle of TV runs. When Adult Swim ran Attack on Titan, Funi released episodes 1-13 to disc around the time episode 5 aired, then episodes 14-25 around the time episode 19 aired.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
So do you guys think they will dub the openings of Hunter x Hunter? i hope they do

You mean "opening"? Well, Departure is a good opening, and if it doesn't get dubbed, at least we have a dub from an official voice actress (Morgan Berry, aka The Unknown Songbird). That being said, there haven't been any dubs for openings in, like, forever. I'm more hoping they use the official English translation for the first ending, sung by the original Japanese band.

Toonami usually makes custom promos for Toonami shows. Might be different this time, InuYasha aired it's opening but Naruto didn't.

Last edited by KidOblivion on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
levonr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Might be at that point, she didn't know Killua would be anything other than a happy boy on a skateboard who happens to come from a family of assassins. There was that recent Answerman column about how actors often perform not knowing how their characters will be like later, for the purposes of time and authenticity, after all.

However I'm sure she isn't oblivious to the character. Its a big role with many episodes. Besides I believe its the director that really needs to know the character to tell the actor how the character should be played. Also most of the time the actors will hear how to line is delivered in Japanese first. I just watched that part in Japanese and Killua sounds very upbeat & happy just like in the dub clip.
The character matures from his first appearance when he was 11 years old, those complaining might need to refresh their memory about how he was early on.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
The English dub so far sounds great and I will definitely be tuning in to the premiere on Toonami. Very Happy
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Killua can be very cheerful when he wants to be. That's what makes him such a fun character. He doesn't constantly brood like we'd expect someone with such a dark past and messed-up family would.

I'm sure Vee will give us an enjoyable interpretation. Her and Mendez are talented actresses, and I'm sure they're giving Hunter x Hunter everything they've got, seeing as it could give them breakout roles in a long-running Shonen show. It helps that Mendez already has experience voicing boys. From what I've heard, her Aladdin improved quite a bit between seasons.

Already Harlacher as Kurapika sounds like a perfect fit, and I'm warming up to Mercer voicing Leorio now that it's clear he's not using the same voice he gave characters like Sinbad and Chrom. Those were fine performances, don't get me wrong, but Leorio needs a less polished sound, and it seems Mercer is giving him that. The line with him saying he'll become a hunter no matter what had a lot of cheesy energy - perfect for Leorio.
CyberLance

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:51 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I am sure the dub will be solid. My only question is if Toonami is prepared to run this series for 3 years. What happens if the ratings start tanking?

According to the Toonami blog post I read about it, the deal with Viz has the option to cancel if the ratings are too low. Toonami seems to be fully aware that taking on another long-running series potentially has the negative consequences of the audience growing bored with a lineup that would have little room for change. The impression I got is that they are willing to take that chance for the sake of not having to look for more shows to fill out the lineup when the shorter ones end.

For most of Toonami's anime deals, they buy the rights to individual episodes, and those episodes can be re-aired for a short while until they expire. As of late they've been increasing those expiration dates so they can run marathons on holidays, but that's why most anime on Toonami don't get second runs anymore. They would have to re-buy the rights. So if Hunter X Hunter tanks that badly, which would be a hard feat to accomplish IMHO, they can simply cease buying additional episodes of the show.

CyberLance wrote:
So are they not planning on releasing the Hunter Hunter DVDs until the show has been on Toonami for a long time?
I want them now. Sad

Guess we'll wait for Viz's schedule. Sometimes what distributors will do I've noticed is release sets in the middle of TV runs. When Adult Swim ran Attack on Titan, Funi released episodes 1-13 to disc around the time episode 5 aired, then episodes 14-25 around the time episode 19 aired.

Thanks i really want to own the anime on DVD so i hope the show dont need to air on TV for that long before we get them.
Hope we will get a release date soon.
Ahmazein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Ahmazein wrote:
What...What did they do to Killua....

Heh, that was my reaction when I first heard him in Japanese as well. I didn't like his voice the most for a few episodes. He sounds too happy compared the 1999 voice. However that changed. I don't know why fans freak out over ONE line that was meant to be very joyful, it doesn't convey his entire character so not the best line to go by.

Oh i know, it just caught me off guard and ill at least give it a chance. I think it mostly has to do with, since i watched the series already, and know all about his character, what he goes through and all, at first to me, thinking of that, that one line heard from him, the voice doesn't suit that, but things can change and i plan to give this a solid chance at the very least.
BastardOfChain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
I chuckle every time I see Togashi's character spoiler[examinee #86] get eaten. Really excited for this dub!
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
For the record, both of the Hunter X Hunter anime are straight adaptations. The first one has bits of filler here and there, and both of them simply end at whatever the most recent completed arc was at the time. The tone between them is different though, due to having different creative teams. The first anime has a darker, more serious feel to it, whereas this one is happier and more colorful.

Another difference between both series is that the first series was less violent than the latter. Also while it's true the second series did started off cheerful and colorful the series did went dark and very violent when it reached the "Yorknew arc" and the "Chimera Ant" arc.

Now I wonder who's directing the dub? One thing's for sure it's not Alex von David, since he is currently working on the final arc on Durarara!!x2, and he said on Twitter that he didn't even know about the dub. Chris Cason's not likely since I presume is busy working on Mobile Suit Gundam IBO. The only recent anime title Kristi Reed's worked on is Doraemon, but left Bang Zoom! around 2 years ago to work on other endeavors and Patrick Seitz would've been busy with the "Your Lie in April" dub, while recording for the HxH started like in late November/early December, so it's probably not them. That leaves us with five choices: Kirk Thornton, Tony Oliver, Wendee Lee, Lex Lang and Kevin McMullan. It possible that they might rotate directors- this is a fairly long series, after all.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Another difference between both series is that the first series was less violent than the latter.

It's not that the first series was "less violent," more that it had more censoring. Although I think the newer series also has some similar censoring during Greed Island when spoiler[Gon's hand is blown off. What is it with censors and characters losing limbs?]

Personally I like the first series a lot more. It was directed by great action director Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Kenshin, Gundam Unicorn) with character designs by Takayuki Goto (GITS: SAC). In some of the episodes, the way the characters are drawn and the animation moves really reminds me of the Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal OVA (probably because of animation director Akira Matsushima...?) I certainly won't claim that the older series had overall better animation, but certain key fights had a level of detail unlike anything I'd ever seen. At the time, you just didn't see this kind of high quality animation in a Shonen Jump title. See for yourself:
https://sakuga.yshi.org/post?tags=hunter_x_hunter_1999

I thought the dub for the first series was alright (we'll see how this one measures up). Gon didn't get on my nerves like I thought he would. Killua and Hisoka had the perfect voices, I thought. And the actor for Tonpa was great and probably single-handedly responsible for keeping me interested during the slow parts of the Hunter Exam. However I pretty much stopped watching the dub once it reached the York New City arc because the voices for Kurapika and most of the Phantom Troupe were frankly... bad. The voice of Dalzollene was good thought.

There is also a lot of little changes that really improve the pacing and tone of certain scenes and arcs. Episode 19-20, some of my favorite episodes are actually filler added only for that show, I think.
Strike105

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Still not sure how I feel about this. Granted, I don't know a thing about this series, and chances are that I may come to like it, but this would make the fourth long-running series in the current lineup, with DBKai still having 33 episodes left (unless Funimation comes out of nowhere with a Buu arc dub announcement), and Naruto Shippuden (Which is the one series in the current lineup I personally couldn't care less about) and One Piece nowhere close to ending. Hell, they're STILL running in Japan

I personally would have much preferred a shorter series as Parasyte's replacement. Probably something along the lines of Devil May Cry or Eureka Seven AO (not necessarily the best shows, but probably decent enough space fillers, as well as something Toonami hasn't aired before) if they could get them. I was actually sort of hopeful that Toonami would announce that they would be premiering the dub for Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, slim as those chances would have been.

I still would have much preferred it if HxH could have at least come as DBKai's replacement when it ended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4