• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Producer Kōji Yamamoto: Wait a Little Longer for Psycho-Pass

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
More would definitely be welcome, spoiler[I want to see Akane and Kogami hook up and the Sybl system destroyed for good.]
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
As long as they are able to get Gen Urobuchi to do the vast majority of the writing, I'm okay with this. I really don't want them to push it though.
ofpveteran73

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
I haven't seen the movie yet – I've heard it's better –, but even after S1 my thoughts were that it's better not to have a sequel. PP2 made it very obvious that a second season was not planned from the start, and it just doesn't work story-wise.

I think a lot of the problems with the 2nd season stemmed from a couple things. First, how it was rushed out to release before the movie, while also being started after. Second, how the story in the second season was forced to fit itself into the already decided events of the first season and movie. That's why I'm totally up for a third season or whatever they're doing next, as I don't think they'll weigh down the next project in the series with the unnecessary difficulties imposed on the second season. (-;
TheMorry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Please no, S2 was already pretty bad compared to S1 and the way they have been using the setting isn't really doing the original idea any justice.

S2 was created by a diffrent team than that of S1 and the movie. The team of S1 went to create the movie while another team worked on S2. For me S2 was good, not epic like S1 though. So im sure when the team of S1 and the movie make S3 it will be a blast!
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
ofpveteran73 wrote:
Blackiris_ wrote:
I haven't seen the movie yet – I've heard it's better –, but even after S1 my thoughts were that it's better not to have a sequel. PP2 made it very obvious that a second season was not planned from the start, and it just doesn't work story-wise.

I think a lot of the problems with the 2nd season stemmed from a couple things. First, how it was rushed out to release before the movie, while also being started after. Second, how the story in the second season was forced to fit itself into the already decided events of the first season and movie. That's why I'm totally up for a third season or whatever they're doing next, as I don't think they'll weigh down the next project in the series with the unnecessary difficulties imposed on the second season. (-;

Exactly. The whole purpose of the second season seems to have been to keep the project in peoples' minds and keep them excited about the story while they made the movie. Which is okay. I don't think it was a good idea personally, but I understand what they were trying to do. And it was pretty successful for them, based on the BD sales. With a third season, I don't think that is really necessary anymore. People are willing to wait for more high quality content. And I think they are aware of the flaws in season 2 as well, so I don't think they are eager to destroy the franchise with more of that. Give the creators the time and money they need to make a high quality conclusion season, and I think most fans will wait patiently for it. I will.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm down for whatever this may mean.

Chrno2 wrote:
There's a screening in NYC for one of the movies. I'm starting to become curious about this show now. I've seen the ratings so I'm assuming it's good. But word of mouth is always welcome for suggestions.

I have not seen the second season (though my blu-ray just arrived), which is where basically any complaints I've seen about the series come from because the writers changed between seasons, but the first season was extremely enjoyable. I have seen people call it the modern ghost in the shell and as a massive GITS fan, I would say it earns that title.

I'm planning on starting season 2 this weekend and am looking forward to the movie. Even if the second season is awful, season one stands fine on it's own and you apparently don't even need to see season 2 in order to watch the movie, which is written by the original writer. It's definitely a series worth checking out, in my opinion!
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I would be very happy indeed if they did actually make a S3, but only if Gen Urobushi was the one writing it. I absolutely love his work and I truly do think he's the only one who can tell a good PP story. Now to see whether or not he takes S2's plot mess into account when writing S3.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. I guess the only way I'll get that chance is when I can get some free streaming time. I really gotta get another BD player so I can take advantage of streaming at my house. Cause my first 3D+BD player is at mom's and she's taking full advantage of my Hulu and Netflix accounts.

One of these days I'm gonna have to marathon GiTS at some point. Luckily we have it on DVD here at the job. Or maybe...I can put Psycho Pass on my list and pick it up for the students. I mean there's going to be some point in time that someone is going to think of requesting it. Surprised Surprised
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, bring on season 3! but remember to bring on Gen, too. In all seriousness, I don't see how a third season would be any good without Urobuchi writing. Nobody wants Ubukata back, myself included, and they aren't too many other writers that could handle Psycho Pass properly. Perhaps Kenji Kamiyama or one of the GITS SAC writers, maybe even Mari Okada. In any case, you need Urobuchi to make this work.

Chrno2 wrote:
One of these days I'm gonna have to marathon GiTS at some point.

I second the recommendation for GITS as well. It's the gold standard in anime for mature, intelligent sci-fi, IMO.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised so many people dislike PP2.

Granted, I came away from it with a few questions regarding some plot elements (The season of Hell, for example) But I had no regrets as far as character development went.

I've always considered Akane to be the main character. Even in PP1. In fact, as much as I liked Kogame, I only ever considered him a secondary character. He's the mentor type of character. But the story is never, nor should ever, be about him.

In fact, Akane's character shines when put in comparison to Kogame. In PP2, she seems completely in control of the situation, trying to mimic how Kogame got things done. But in the movie, when compared to Kogame, she looks like she hasn't changed at all from PP1.

I loved how PP2 developed all the characters from the first season as well as how it developed the whole moral story line.

I hope it continues the exact same way in PP3. Well, bar crappy plot points.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
It's gonna be the biggest mistake if PP will still plant Akane as the main protagonist. We saw it in PP2, the show lacked the hardboiled action PP1 had. Kougami's inclusion will be vital if they want to catch the fans' attention.

i'm afraid not. its as some people said. his story and role as ended in season 1. unless makashima comes back which will be impossible, there is no way he will be the main. that seat will be handled by akane. the only way he would return as the main is that if those two team up to stage a rebellion against sybil to put an end to the system permanently as akane claimed in the ending that someone would do that one day in season one and kirito kamui try to have her do in season 2. if there is a season three, she might end in a circumstance that would have her as sybil's executioner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
Awesome, I'd definitely be up for more.

CoreSignal wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
One of these days I'm gonna have to marathon GiTS at some point.

I second the recommendation for GITS as well. It's the gold standard in anime for mature, intelligent sci-fi, IMO.

Yup, definitely give it the watch it deserves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2