• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter Manga to Return for 1st Time Since August 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diefty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:51 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
So I don't read HXH and I have no patience for the crap the author pulls, I think he's making up the reasons for his hiatuses and just doesn't want to draw.

In all seriousness if this comes back again only to go hiatus fairly quickly people really need to stop giving this guy credit as a good mangaka.

Well, I'd say he's a good storyteller and a good artist, and how often he goes on break has nothing to do with it, even if it is stupid annoying.

He is a really great story steller (artist, meaning drawing, not so much) but i do think it has to do with the breaks, if you take a break you have time to properly plan and pace the stroy and give it better writing than the average author that has to put out a random filler chapter because he is on a tough deadline. I think the creative freedom given by hiatuses is a good part of the reason why he is such a good writter.
diefty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
So I don't read HXH and I have no patience for the crap the author pulls, I think he's making up the reasons for his hiatuses and just doesn't want to draw.

In all seriousness if this comes back again only to go hiatus fairly quickly people really need to stop giving this guy credit as a good mangaka.

Considering this was the first time we got a reason as to the hiatus, I don't think he makes up excuses.

And the amount of hiatus has nothing to do with his skills as a mangaka. He's probably better than a lot of the guys who produce content consistently (coughcoughMashimacough)

Mashima and FT are pretty shitty but let me play devil´s advocate for a moment. Mashima has on several ocasions made 30-something page chapters and even made 3 chapters a week for a few weeks straight, he loves his job and works hard. On the other hand Togashi is clearly more talented but he also has the oportunity to write whenver he is inspired and take time to plan things out while a regular mangaka has to put something out every week regardless of the quality.
diefty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Anthology releases are only cheap ads for the collected product and the trashy looking chapters were all “fixed in post”. Art complains are thus a bit invalid and all sorts of quality series have similar (but less sever) problem as let´s say Historie. It was also only a one-time thing and i will rather live with the current release schedule than go back to those days. End of story.
We my even get a new anime arc in let´s say a decade... Wink .

I feel like the complaints are still valid. Think of it this wayif you go watch a movie and the visual effects arent done but you can see the proper version if you buy the DVD people wouldnt have that. It is also unfair on mangaka who make an effort to bring their good level art every week while Togashi scribbles and then finishes it during his hiatuses, a luxury other authors dont have. Also most authors fix mistakes but never change the art, Togashi actually draws because he didn't do it the first time due to lazyness.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:19 am Reply with quote
I *love* HUNTER X HUNTER - my favorite Shonen manga hands down - and I don't want Togashi to besmirch its reputation by continuing to drive it into a dead alley narratively. Aside from finding out what the deal is with the Patrick Bateman-like prince - remembering I read that chapter still gives me the chills today - I don't care much about anything else that happened in the post-2012 chapters.

In my opinion, the 32nd volume's final chapter already gave us as fitting a conclusion as the series can get from the famously ending-challenged Togashi: spoiler[Killua reunited and reconciled with the only member of his family he genuinely seemed to love, Gon remains - permanently?- unable to use Nen as part of the diabolical and dumb bargain he struck while grieving Kite, and the Hunter association is about to embark on a journey with the possibility to lure ungodly monstrosities even worse than the Chimera Ants into the world, possibly starting an apocalypse due to their own stupidity and short-sightedness.] I *can* see Togashi coming up with a better final installment, but I don't trust him to do it. Leave HXH be.
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

spoiler[And in regards to Gyro, he's Jail. The chameleon guy. The hints are so subtle that almost every translator working on Hunter X Hunter missed it, including the one at Viz.]

I think that's a cheeky reference to Chameleon Jail, a manga done by Slam Dunk's author. It's just that Jairu (Jail) and Jairo (Gyro) are similarly romanised.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:32 am Reply with quote
Silly fanboys, getting your hopes up only to get torn down when this series goes on hiatus again at the end of April. I stopped reading during the Chimera arc and never really got up to reading it again, but I think it may be time to pay a visit to the used book store again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
I'm not questioning the guy's work ethic, nor do I necessarily think he owes his fans anything, but attempting a weekly serialization without assistants seems like a recipe for disaster. I mean, even mangaka with large teams of assistants often struggle to meet deadlines.
The American Average

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
Got Dgrayman a little while back, Guts got off the boat, and now HxH is back. Hallelujah manga is good for me again.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
diefty wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Well, I'd say he's a good storyteller and a good artist, and how often he goes on break has nothing to do with it, even if it is stupid annoying.

He is a really great story steller (artist, meaning drawing, not so much) but i do think it has to do with the breaks, if you take a break you have time to properly plan and pace the stroy and give it better writing than the average author that has to put out a random filler chapter because he is on a tough deadline. I think the creative freedom given by hiatuses is a good part of the reason why he is such a good writter.

I disagree.

http://puu.sh/nHwOU/b503072e15.jpg

No spoilers. Can you spot the group of three characters? : D

(Hope ANN doesn't mind I know it's an illegal scanlation but I reuploaded it to erase the source)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Danny123100 wrote:
I want to be excited, but I imagine it's going to end fairly quickly. I think there's about one more chapter left until they can start selling the next volume, though i'm not 100% on that. So I wouldn't be surprised if he whipped out one chapter to get the next volume finished, get the cash from all the new volume sales, and then go on hiatus again. I'll honestly be really surprised if we get two chapter, but I definitely don't expect this to be a long lasting thing.

But then he'll have to draw nine or ten chapters if he wants to sell the one after that.

diefty wrote:
I feel like the complaints are still valid. Think of it this wayif you go watch a movie and the visual effects arent done but you can see the proper version if you buy the DVD people wouldnt have that.

Well, when you're making a movie, you get a deadline, but, budget allowing, you can delay it, or even put the movie on hold until everything's ready. (Of course, sometimes it winds up in development hell, but that's besides the point.) Movies do not have to be released regularly. A studio simply has to put out enough of them to turn a profit.

Rather, I think a better example is a TV show. Television series need to output a certain number of episodes, and, except for a show's first season, its deadline is fixed and cannot be changed. Unexpected setbacks will cause a TV show in development to fall behind schedule or run over budget, and as a result, you get stuff like clip shows and bottle episodes, though in some cases, the quality of the show itself falters for that season. Shows made week-to-week, like South Park, DO sometimes have errors that are then fixed for reruns and for home video releases. It happens with The Simpsons too. They are never as drastic as Togashi scribbling, then finishing the artwork for the volume releases (which I'm sure sometimes happens during his hiatuses).

Souther wrote:
I think that's a cheeky reference to Chameleon Jail, a manga done by Slam Dunk's author. It's just that Jairu (Jail) and Jairo (Gyro) are similarly romanised.

Oh, interesting. I never heard of it.

Valhern wrote:

Trick question--they're on the next page. I scoured the manga to locate it in context.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Valhern wrote:

Trick question--they're on the next page. I scoured the manga to locate it in context.

Not really. Right-bottom corner, in-between two tall flowers, in front of other three egg-shaped plants. spoiler[Netero is standing in the middle, Zigg Zoldyck at his right, and Hours d'Ouevre or whatever her name was, at his left.]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow. There they are. I didn't even notice it. They're heavily shaded in a heavily shaded area though. They kind of blend in.
JDude042

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I think I've done more than enough bashing in previous threads in regards to Togashi's release schedule and work ethic personally. Honestly although it's surprising to see the news that the manga is returning, considering the amount of hiatuses beforehand, this news is pretty underwhelming considering his track record. Like many have said before, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just gonna be another short spurt of chapters and then another long hiatus again. It's better not to get your hopes up with this one folks. I'm not even discussing whether or not health related issues are really holding him back from a more frequent release schedule or if he's just taking things at his own pace because he's allowed to get away with it, but I know a lot of people wish he would just find the right balance between work and off time. Togashi man... his entire existence is a paradox is far as I'm concerned.
diefty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
diefty wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

I disagree.

http://puu.sh/nHwOU/b503072e15.jpg

(Hope ANN doesn't mind I know it's an illegal scanlation but I reuploaded it to erase the source)

Every single time without fail that you mention the bad art in HxH fans show thatexact image which proves that the art isnt consistently good, sure this proves Togashi could draw but he is just to lazy i mean the art during Greed Island is comically bad and 1 good page doesnt change the fact that on average HxH art is below the standards. At least Miura has impecable art in every pannel of Berserk to make up for the breaks while HxH has 1 good page for 10 bad ones.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
diefty wrote:
Every single time without fail that you mention the bad art in HxH fans show thatexact image which proves that the art isnt consistently good, sure this proves Togashi could draw but he is just to lazy i mean the art during Greed Island is comically bad and 1 good page doesnt change the fact that on average HxH art is below the standards. At least Miura has impecable art in every pannel of Berserk to make up for the breaks while HxH has 1 good page for 10 bad ones.

Every single time, though? That image is from 2014, unless you've only called the bad artwork then, there is plenty of good artwork from mid-Chimera Ant arc until now (the whole volume 26 spoiler[of Netero vs Meruem], volume 27/28 of spoiler[Gon vs Neferpitou, and the overall fights between the Hunters and the Chimera Ants]), with the great exception of one of the last chapters of the Election arc.

I won't push the rope to post more pics of the manga, look them up yourself.

By the way, in the chapters you talk about, there isn't one good page for 10 bad ones, ALL of them are bad, no exception, that's why I'm saying there is huge improvement after that, it's like all pages decent, three to four excel. I can concede you that Togashi's art isn't favored by the usual lack of background, which sometimes could really improve in atmosphere and such things.

And having Miura for comparison is unfair to almost any artist, hardly anyone can produce what he does on weekly release (like Togashi has to do after the very first few chapters), on month release, maybe Hirohiko Araki or Murata (bi-weekly in his case) can hold a candle in terms of extremely good detail, attention to anatomy and consistency.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6